Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
2015 ACE 27.1 Shower Question

My Duo-Form Plastics shower in my unit has a gap where the walls meet the shower pan. This gap goes all the way around and I am not sure if this is by design or someone didn't caulk/glue the two together. It is also "flappy" and afraid water will get behind there. Any thoughts and thanks..

Old 01-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
If it was not sealed by the factory and you think it should be, it was probably more likely by oversight than design.

If in doubt, seal it.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Model: ACE
THOR #698
I think the shower pan extends up a fair way behind the walls. We have had our ace 27 for a year and no problems. I have a tube of caulk to seal it but I only remember after a shower. I would make sure it was very dry before you caulk or you could get mold growing.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
I had the same concern with my 2014 ACE 29.2. I went to the duoform website and looked at the shower pan in my unit and discovered just like Ed-Helen says that the pan extends vertically way past the shower wall gap
Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 AM   #5

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #1393
I called Thor and the rep told me that the pan extends 1-2"'s behind the wall and stated it comes like that due to the walls in an RV not being true (like in our homes) and helps with the installation. He stated that he caulks them when he services them and recommended I do the same. Hope this helps..
Old 01-15-2015, 02:19 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnook View Post
I called Thor and the rep told me that the pan extends 1-2"'s behind the wall and stated it comes like that due to the walls in an RV not being true (like in our homes) and helps with the installation. He stated that he caulks them when he services them and recommended I do the same. Hope this helps..
If you do decide to caulk the shower (and IMHO I really see no need to so so) I would just make sure that you do it after a shower and significant time has allowed for drying. You may consider using a blow dryer to be sure the area is completely dry.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Sounds like the shower in my Chateau
It came from the factory caulked, rather poorly, with silicone. Well, I assume it was factory, can't imagine the dealer doing it.

It took rather significant effort to remove the silicone and it's residue.... I hate silicone..... and i re-did the caulk job with a good latex caulk.

I'm not really certain that it's necessary, especially since we are not full timing and shower aren't happening daily in the thing....
but I can imagine that over time mold and the like would like to set foot in there.... although it might very well be better to leave it open so that any water that gets in can get out. Now that I'm writing this and thinking it through..... the shower walls are face screwed in place, with some sort of cap or plug covering. Could it be that these might weep or leak, letting water in.... and my nice caulk job has now sealed it so that it can't breathe well and dry out?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
If you decide to caulk it, as said make sure it is dry and has time to setup and I would recommend using Acrylic caulk. If you use pure silicone and every have to remove it you will be very sad. Pure silicone makes a great adhesive but for sealing acrylic is better in that you can remove and recaulk later if need be.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
.....Pure silicone makes a great adhesive .....
I would even argue that it's not a good adhesive either. You can peel it off of a lot of things.... well, 95% comes off easily, the remainder is a real beast.... and it's nearly impossible to remove the residue so other things will stick.

It's sort of like WD-40 and split lock washers....

I once had a discussion here or someplace about what it's good for.... fish tanks came up as a maybe....
but right now I have a leaking fish tank at home, so that 'aint what it's for....
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I would even argue that it's not a good adhesive either. You can peel it off of a lot of things.... well, 95% comes off easily, the remainder is a real beast.... and it's nearly impossible to remove the residue so other things will stick.

It's sort of like WD-40 and split lock washers....

I once had a discussion here or someplace about what it's good for.... fish tanks came up as a maybe....
but right now I have a leaking fish tank at home, so that 'aint what it's for....
Lol, that is true enough, it sticks when you don't want it to and doesn't when you need it too.