Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #7213
2015 Ace 30.1 entry stairs

My entry stairs have slowly created a gap between the body and first step. Now the side panels are cracking. The step insert is slowly "falling" down. I ve got a ratchet strap securing them in and its parked at the house. Anyone with experience repairing, removing the step insert?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

THOR #7213
Old 08-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
A search of the forum occasionally stumbles onto similar problems that might be of value......keywords sometimes don't work in the search very well but I hope this link helps a bit.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ing-14637.html
Old 08-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

State: Tennessee
THOR #13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
A search of the forum occasionally stumbles onto similar problems that might be of value......keywords sometimes don't work in the search very well but I hope this link helps a bit.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ing-14637.html

Had the same issue looked like stairs where hit and bent removed mounting bracket and repaired the gap inside was fixed ͏b͏y removing screws right underneath the door and replaced with longer one that drew the gap right together also a light bead of caulk good luck
Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #5

THOR #7213
Thanks for the info. The sidewalls are cracked so something has definitely moved. I've been sick the last few days but will be looking into it this week hopefully
Old 07-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #6

THOR #7213
Finally got the repair done, myself as not much help was available.
I set the rv up like normal, leveled it and put a floor jack with a board underneath the steps and removed factory hardware. Using the jack I lowered the stairs in place.

I then used the hydraulics Jack's on the rv and raised the front to allow more access. There wasnt really a way to remove the stairs completely.

I was able to turn the stairs on the side and rebuild in place. Using plywood I rebuilt the side panels and stained with Cabot deck stain, solid color. Thick acrylic base that covered great and very durable.

There was damage on one side of the stair frame so I used solid flat steel to mend and strengthen that side. I also replaced all the hardware and most of the angle aluminum underneath for the base support. I used flat 1/16 aluminum on top of the plywood to add strength to the frame. Fastening the new hardware through the aluminum into the plywood and ultimately into the steel frame.

I will eventually use some angle iron and add more support to the bottom of the stairs tying into the frame in a couple weeks. The stairs are definitely solid now though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_170947.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	25240
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Nice work. I see you dumped the shag carpet around the stairwell. I recently replaced the rubber stair treads as mine were installed half-ass’d by Thor. They overhung the plywood lip by 3/4” and from so much foot traffic ripped in the middle at the leading edge flexing so much. I used heavy duty from Home Depot, cut correctly and used the required amount of adhesive. Maybe I ditch the carpet surround next. [emoji16]
Old 08-01-2020, 03:46 AM   #8

THOR #7213
Thanks, it wasnt a difficult repair necessarily but I wanted to make sure it was better than stock and I wasnt gonna have another issue. Took my time and made sure it was good to go. Used some of the Great stuff Pest expanding foam along the seam with the storage bin underneath and sealed the entry to prevent the issues I had before.
Got the welder out and gonna run some angle iron in the next week or so to shore up the underside to provide the support required for such a high traffic area.