Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Patching Screw Holes in Vinyl Ceiling

I removed one of the ugly LED fixtures from the ceiling as part of my lighting upgrade project. After installing the new light, I am left with 4 or 5 unsightly screw holes in the Vinyl covered ceiling surrounding the smaller light.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180417_164622463.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	9780

Any ideas or experience patching these holes so they "disappear"?

Thanks,
Tom

2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sure, go to Walmart or similar and buy a vinyl repair kit. They usually are sold to patch leather or vinyl chairs and such - I used one to fix a puncture in my drivers seat. Unless you practice a lot first the repair might not be totally invisible but it’ll be pretty nearly so. Shouldn’t cost more than $10 or $20. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Would you use the same type of repair kit on the ceiling of a Class C Outlaw?
I've got a ceiling full of "warranty issues", and I'm not betting that the dealer is going to do. a great job.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:16 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I expect it’d work just fine if the damage is not too large. You can practice on the inside of a closet or something to be sure you have the color match and curing temp correct.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
You could make a wood base that matches cabinet color. Then install light on top of base.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #2154
I don't have help for your question, but the picture you posted where the old light fixture was removed shows something that drives me crazy in my 27K Windsport...

Notice where the rounded corners of the old light fixture left the vinyl ceiling with a crease, where they vinyl is sagging below whatever it was glued to? I see this on my ceiling next to anything screwed into it, like the A/C vents, skylight, and light fixtures for example. It's not a new symptom; been like this from the first day.

I have thought about injecting some glue into these areas with a needle but seems like I'd have to apply pressure to hold the vinyl tight against the ceiling while it's drying. A lot of work, and not sure if it would work anyway.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #7

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Ceiling Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I don't have help for your question, but the picture you posted where the old light fixture was removed shows something that drives me crazy in my 27K Windsport...

Notice where the rounded corners of the old light fixture left the vinyl ceiling with a crease, where they vinyl is sagging below whatever it was glued to? I see this on my ceiling next to anything screwed into it, like the A/C vents, skylight, and light fixtures for example. It's not a new symptom; been like this from the first day.

I have thought about injecting some glue into these areas with a needle but seems like I'd have to apply pressure to hold the vinyl tight against the ceiling while it's drying. A lot of work, and not sure if it would work anyway.

yes the issue is the ceiling is bonded with layers of materials and glue, then run through a hot press with lots of tensioned rollers. So if insufficient glue is applied or the rollers were out of tension then the completed bonded product is crap. Sometime the reason stuff de-bonds or de laminates is an excessively hot environment and then the glue gets fluid again and the topmost layer or topmost layers start to peel off where they are not held tightly into position. That is why early on all RVs were white, it kept the internal temps down. Dark colored RVs, think the horrid current color choices that are very much chocolate colored, they acquire and retain heat like mad, in a sunny hot environment like Florida, Texas, Arizona, CA to mention a few these oven like conditions when stored can melt the glues holding the ceiling together.

Another issue is similar to the water freeze thaw cycle that can break up concrete or asphalt and cause potholes. Only in an rv a water leak gets water between the layers, freezing causes expansion and shearing of the bond join and then the layer drops off or is loose. The water evaporates and you are left with a sagging ceiling or wall.

These are the causes of the problem. Not sure what the correct repair is. My expertise is with airplanes and we usually just end up peeling of the top layer, cleaning the surface with a solvent, and then reapplying a bonding agent,, attaching the top layers and applying heat and pressing it all together.

Rocky
Old 04-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

THOR #7634
Not off topic at all. The sagging also needs to be addressed when repairing the holes. I think its due to the softness and pliability of the vinyl when subject to the pressure of the fixture corners when screwed tight.

What I did was use a flat razor blade paint scraper to cut off the protrusion. But that leaves a bare spot under the protrusion I cut off. I think that can be addressed with some touch up paint.

My plan at this point is to look for a vinyl patch kit that might work. I will also be cutting out a 3.5" hole for some "puck lights." I'll then have a round piece of the ceiling I may be able to peal up the vinyl with a heat gun and use some small pieces to glue over the holes. I'll also have a sample I can take to the paint store and have them match the color for some touch-up paint. One could also try to cut and peal off a piece of the vinyl in a hidden spot in a cupboard ceiling where it wouldn't be seen.

I'll keep this thread updated with my attempts.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post

2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #9

Model: 37 KT
State: Ohio
THOR #9250
consider plastic screw covers like in ikea / sauder products, doubt you can make them"disappear" but they are on the ceiling, get on the road and something else will occur to help you forget
XJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

THOR #7634
The Best Solution I Could Come Up With

After much contemplation I came up with the following technique I think worked out pretty well.

After removing the ugly light I used a razor blade scraper (like for paint, or scraping bugs off the windshield). I carefully cut off the protrusion left by each screw when removed and the ridges left by the light corners.

Name:	Ceiling_Repair1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	10136

When the ridges are cut off it leaves a little sliver of underlying ceiling board showing. But that will be covered up later.

Next I used a center punch and a couple of taps with a hammer to just slightly indent the screw hole a bit. This gives the filler something to fill in and ensures the area around the screw hole is at least flat or slightly indented.

Name:	Ceiling_Repair2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	10137

I found this hole filler kit at the hardware. It has a tube of filler, a scraper and a sanding block all in one. (Wish I had this when I lived in a college dorm, better than toothpaste).

Name:	Ceiling_Repair3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	10138

Regular Sheetrock filler and sandpaper would work just as well. I filled each hole, let it dry/set and gently sanded it flat. You can gently sand the vinyl ceiling without damaging it.

Last step was to touch up with some paint. I found two small bottles of acrylic paint at an art supply store. A "Mushroom color (slightly off white/tan)" and a White color. Mixing them together I was able to come very close to the existing color of the vinyl ceiling. Now the holes are almost invisible and you need to know they are there to see the patches.

Name:	Ceiling_Repair4.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	10139

Name:	Ceiling_Repair5.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	10140
2015 Thor Windsport 27K