Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2023, 01:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17954
2015 Thor ACE 30.1 leveling system hoses

My Jacks down alert light came every on. Upon inspection I noticed the jacks were up. So I opened my battery compartment to check the system. Yikes compartment completely flooded with fluid from reservoir and it empty.
I cleaned it all up. Obvious my black hoses looked blown. One for sure. I need to replace all the hoses. Although the orange returns look fine. But why gamble. Does anyone know which hoses to buy. It maybe cheaper to have my hydraulic shop make. I’m sure there all different lengths so I could mark and pull. Now the other issue. Motorhome is on the ground.
Looks pretty hard to crawl under. No jacking system. Any thoughts?
Repair shop wants over two grand to fix.
I need to tackle myself. Any clues or tricks would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Luke

Old 03-25-2023, 01:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Did you see the recent thread regarding a mobile hydraulic repair company and their service to a Forum member in the Jacksonville area?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...lew-33533.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:28 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
If you don't already have in your toolbox, get a set of flare wrenches before attempting the removal and replacement.

When your testing do not get your flesh close to where a high-pressure hydraulic leak could penetrate it. That is bad news if you do.

All major farm and most part stores fabricate hydraulic hoses, and many have a separate entrance door if there really in the big time.

Not hard, just tedious and messy. Oil adsorbent, red rags, nitrile gloves and so on. Goggles or glasses minimum when testing.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:48 AM   #4

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke D View Post
My Jacks down alert light came every on. Upon inspection I noticed the jacks were up. So I opened my battery compartment to check the system. Yikes compartment completely flooded with fluid from reservoir and it empty.
I cleaned it all up. Obvious my black hoses looked blown. One for sure. I need to replace all the hoses. Although the orange returns look fine. But why gamble. Does anyone know which hoses to buy. It maybe cheaper to have my hydraulic shop make. I’m sure there all different lengths so I could mark and pull. Now the other issue. Motorhome is on the ground.
Looks pretty hard to crawl under. No jacking system. Any thoughts?
Repair shop wants over two grand to fix.
I need to tackle myself. Any clues or tricks would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Luke

Well , update. Good news. There is enough room to get under and remove and replace hoses. And yes My flair wrenches made it easier.
Best part was going to Amazon Hose in Tampa to get hoses made. Black wire imbedded rubber hose good for 5900 PSI. Brand name on side of hose, Continental. You ready each hose 56.00 dollars each including new ends. Yes took roughly two hours to change. A bit tedious but not that hard to do. Filled reservoir 1/2 way, reset controls (push all four jack arrows at once), then cycled a few times done no air. With jacks up filled about 2/3 rds full. Done. Total cost less than three hundred dollars. Time ok maybe three hours , okay 4 spent an hour cleaning away all fluid covered areas and jacks before I began. Used roughly a little over three guards ATF.
So a $1900.00 savings and get this the one hose the shop did( lippert good for 3000psi) looks minuscule next to the ones I got made.
Charge for that hose $165.00. live and learn.
The tech’s at Amazon said their hoses should easily last ten years.
Ready to roll. Glad I did myself. Mind you I’m 71 and had no problem with the job. You younger guys or girls would beat my time.
BTW some NAPA shops make hoses to. Obviously a hydraulic hose shop is a must when getting pricing down. Never use Lippert, Amazon Prime or Ebay.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:18 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Well , update. Good news. There is enough room to get under and remove and replace hoses. And yes My flair wrenches made it easier.
Best part was going to Amazon Hose in Tampa to get hoses made. Black wire imbedded rubber hose good for 5900 PSI. Brand name on side of hose, Continental. You ready each hose 56.00 dollars each including new ends. Yes took roughly two hours to change. A bit tedious but not that hard to do. Filled reservoir 1/2 way, reset controls (push all four jack arrows at once), then cycled a few times done no air. With jacks up filled about 2/3 rds full. Done. Total cost less than three hundred dollars. Time ok maybe three hours , okay 4 spent an hour cleaning away all fluid covered areas and jacks before I began. Used roughly a little over three guards ATF.
So a $1900.00 savings and get this the one hose the shop did( lippert good for 3000psi) looks minuscule next to the ones I got made.
Charge for that hose $165.00. live and learn.
The tech’s at Amazon said their hoses should easily last ten years.
Ready to roll. Glad I did myself. Mind you I’m 71 and had no problem with the job. You younger guys or girls would beat my time.
BTW some NAPA shops make hoses to. Obviously a hydraulic hose shop is a must when getting pricing down. Never use Lippert, Amazon Prime or Ebay.
NOTHING feels better to do the job yourself because 1) you saved a hell of a lot of money 2) you KNOW it was done right with quality parts, not the oem crap from Thor parts and 3) well, guess there is no 3---LOL Congratulations!!!
Old 08-21-2023, 05:58 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Nevada
THOR #13593
Howdy, great info.
All you needed to do, in order to clear air in the lines, was lower and raise jacks a number of times? That cleared the air from the lines?

Road debris tore my front passenger side hose, which drained all my fluid onto the ground at my campsite when I went to level it.

Found torn hose, will be pulling it tomorrow and having a local hydraulic shop make new hose. Just need to know how to bleed it after repair.

Thank you,
IrnBear
Old 08-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #7

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Well , update. Good news.
So a $1900.00 savings
I guess now you can allot $1900 to yourself for the good job.

Now go have a good time!
Old 08-21-2023, 01:26 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you didn't buy a spare hose of the length of your longest needed hose, to keep in your repair kit...

You cheated yourself.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #9

Model: Ace 30.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #30029
Great job! I joust went through this on my 2015 Thor ACE 30.1, just like yours! Hmmm. Sounds like a hose expiration date! One thing I did not do yet was secure a long hose to carry with me.. it is on the list. Other thing I did do was get a set of 4 straps that I verified i can use to strap up a leveler if I am on the road.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...dys-34807.html
Old 08-22-2023, 12:52 AM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgePal View Post
Other thing I did do was get a set of 4 straps that I verified i can use to strap up a leveler if I am on the road.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...dys-34807.html
A cap for the hose, and a plug for the jack's fitting (or vice versa) would work, and more compact to stow along.