Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20912
2019 Thor Palazzo

We are boondocking in Wyoming and our generator will not start. It’s been in the shop twice before for the same problem. In addition to that, the furnace won’t work. We bought this coach new four months ago and have had nothing but trouble. Literally every trip we have gone on, we have had major problems. No hot water, no power, cabinet doors falling completely off. It has been in the shop 3 times and each time it has taken 2-3 weeks for us to get it back. We are having a really hard time getting the dealership to help us. They stopped selling Thor shortly after we got ours, saying they are too much trouble and that the company is hard to deal with. They even tried to charge us $2200 for items that were under warranty! We have called Thor, to no avail. They have no roadside assistance and the 24/7 “emergency number “ is useless. It’s getting old having to change our plans and/or shorten our trips by several days because the brand new coach we dropped a king’s ransom for won’t work. We love RVing, but the Thor is becoming a thorn in our side. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks

Old 10-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with your new RV.
It sounds more like a dealership problem. Are there any others nearby?
Please be patient. When the bugs are worked-out: it will all be worth it.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW821 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks
Now that you're done venting what are you looking for suggestions for?

How to get things fixed by Thor? Make an appointment at the factory repair facility in Indiana.

Fix current problems? Start a thread for each problem you would like help in resolving and give us as much information as possible. For example: My generator won't start, I have primed it in accordance with the Onan procedure but when I push the START button it just cranks and will not start. What can I check next?

Looking for a good Thor dealer to get warranty work done? Ask for recommendations.

Buying a trouble-free RV? Rots o' ruck.

Learning the various systems in your RV and how they work? Ask here or goto YouTube University.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: There's a lot of info in all those YouTube videos.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Someone buys a new RV from Thor and the answer to their problems is take it back to the factory. How about Thor start building a product worthy of the cost. How about dealers start complaining to Thor about the junk coming off the assembly line. No, that would be the ethical path to take. What Thor and its dealer network does is take advantage of unsuspecting consumers.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you really think that it's just Thor?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #7

THOR #20912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Someone buys a new RV from Thor and the answer to their problems is take it back to the factory. How about Thor start building a product worthy of the cost. How about dealers start complaining to Thor about the junk coming off the assembly line. No, that would be the ethical path to take. What Thor and its dealer network does is take advantage of unsuspecting consumers.

Bingo.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:19 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Perhaps you should have considered doing more research before signing on the dotted line...
A thorough PDI might have caught many of these problems, and got you started under happier circumstances.
But since you didn't: it would be more productive to calmly tackle one problem at a time.
So how can we help?
Old 10-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Agreed, but how does that help the OP today?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The OP mentioned the generator and heater. I've got a tiny bit of experience with a diesel generator...Are we sure that it's being primed correctly?
(They do need at least 20 seconds "on the button")

Is the heater trying to start? (Can you hear it clicking?)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:40 AM   #11

THOR #20912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps you should have considered doing more research before signing on the dotted line...

A thorough PDI might have caught many of these problems, and got you started under happier circumstances.

But since you didn't: it would be more productive to calmly tackle one problem at a time.

So how can we help?

When we purchased it, there was very little inventory. We did do the research, but the combo of limited options and a hungry salesman (“everything is under warranty”), was enough to tip the scales...
We did do a thorough PDI. There were some minor issues that were addressed and resolved. Everything was in good working order. It was in the 90’s that day, so admittedly, we did not test the furnace. It was only after we started taking it out that things started falling apart.
I agree that there is an issue with the dealership but I don’t think that traveling halfway across the country to take it to the factory is a reasonable expectation. We are not new to this, so I do understand that they all have their issues. This one just has more than it’s share.
As for now, we have it under control (relocated and plugged in to 50amp and got an infrared heater.). Had the generator looked at and it’s going to have to be repaired in the shop. Made an appointment at the second closest dealer that services Thor (2.5 hours away) and will have them take care of the gen and furnace. I’m going to just try to enjoy the rest of the trip and will deal with it all once we are home.
Thanks for the feedback. I do hope you are right that once the bugs are worked out it will all be worth it.
Enjoy your weekend. [emoji4]
Old 10-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm glad to see that you're getting it under control.
Good luck with this process!
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #13

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So how can we help?
Bob; How do you know they didn't do a 'thorough' PDI? They stated these faults occurred during their outings, not upon bringing the rig home? Give people a break. Thor apparently makes crap, and Thor owners just assume that everyone buying Thor should just take their lumps and get over it. People should vote with their pocketbook, or wallet, or credit card. If enough people get on the bandwagon and recommend another manufacturer than Thor, maybe then, Thor will get the message. But as long as they produce crap, and people continue to purchase it, expecting crap, then it won't change.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... And how does this help the OP?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I suggest you google "Camp Newmar" It is a 45 spot full hookup lot for coaches awaiting maintenance beside the factory. Usually it is nearly full except over Christmas holidays. Considering Newmar only produces 13 coach a week and 8 of them are gas that seems a lot for repair Remember that Thor MC plant 650 produces 14 coaches a day and plant 750 produces 10-14 coaches a day. There are 4 other Thor MC plants plus the two Jayco Motor Coach plants. Currently 40% of all motor coaches produced in NA are manufactured by Thor Industries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #16

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Well it is odd that both the genset and the furnace didn't work while boondocking. They both need two things to operate: 12VDC and fuel. There is a common denominator - 12VDC

If your house batteries were charged and in good condition then you should have 12VDC. If they weren't then that could have been your problem. The furnace needs 12VDC to ignite the propane and run the blower fan. The genset needs 12VDC to turn over the unit so it will start. A low house battery would hose up both.

As far as fuel, the genset won't start if the gas tank is below a certain level. This is a "safety" feature so you have enough gas for the chassis engine to get to a gas station. I'm not sure how diesel works since I have a gas coach.

Likewise, the furnace needs propane.

So now you are plugged in and your coach batteries are charging so do a little troubleshooting on your own before you spend big bucks.

1) Use/store switch in use - your coach may call it a different name.

Furnace - make sure the propane tank valve is open and the tank has some propane in it. Set the thermostat to heat, fan to on and see if there is any action - fan should start up and you should hear the ignitor click. Then the heat should come on. If no fan then no 12VDC - see if there is a blown fuse in your distribution center. If the propane tank is empty then you are not going to get heat. Otherwise the furnace has an issue.

Genset - make sure the gas tank has the right level of gas for the genset to draw from - your manual will tell you how much you need. In the coach hold the STOP button until the red light starts to flash...about 5-7 seconds...this is the prime for the generator. Press start and you should hear the genset turn over. If not, then look for a blown fuse. If it turns over and doesn't start then try to prime again. It should start.

If everything works, furnace and genset, then the likely problem while boondocking was low coach batteries. If they are the original ones then I would toss them and get new ones. If this is the case then next time start the coach, wait five minutes and start the generator. Then turn the coach off and let the genset charge the batteries.

If one or the other doesn't work, or if nothing works then go to a repair shop.

There is Thor error, equipment error and operator error - IMHO you gotta eliminate 2 of the 3 to solve RV issues.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:29 AM   #17

THOR #20912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
Well it is odd that both the genset and the furnace didn't work while boondocking. They both need two things to operate: 12VDC and fuel. There is a common denominator - 12VDC

If your house batteries were charged and in good condition then you should have 12VDC. If they weren't then that could have been your problem. The furnace needs 12VDC to ignite the propane and run the blower fan. The genset needs 12VDC to turn over the unit so it will start. A low house battery would hose up both.

As far as fuel, the genset won't start if the gas tank is below a certain level. This is a "safety" feature so you have enough gas for the chassis engine to get to a gas station. I'm not sure how diesel works since I have a gas coach.

Likewise, the furnace needs propane.

So now you are plugged in and your coach batteries are charging so do a little troubleshooting on your own before you spend big bucks.

1) Use/store switch in use - your coach may call it a different name.

Furnace - make sure the propane tank valve is open and the tank has some propane in it. Set the thermostat to heat, fan to on and see if there is any action - fan should start up and you should hear the ignitor click. Then the heat should come on. If no fan then no 12VDC - see if there is a blown fuse in your distribution center. If the propane tank is empty then you are not going to get heat. Otherwise the furnace has an issue.

Genset - make sure the gas tank has the right level of gas for the genset to draw from - your manual will tell you how much you need. In the coach hold the STOP button until the red light starts to flash...about 5-7 seconds...this is the prime for the generator. Press start and you should hear the genset turn over. If not, then look for a blown fuse. If it turns over and doesn't start then try to prime again. It should start.

If everything works, furnace and genset, then the likely problem while boondocking was low coach batteries. If they are the original ones then I would toss them and get new ones. If this is the case then next time start the coach, wait five minutes and start the generator. Then turn the coach off and let the genset charge the batteries.

If one or the other doesn't work, or if nothing works then go to a repair shop.

There is Thor error, equipment error and operator error - IMHO you gotta eliminate 2 of the 3 to solve RV issues.

Thanks for the info. We suspected the problem was the 12VDC. We bought the coach new 4 months ago, so would assume the batteries would be good, but we had them tested nonetheless. They are charged to 14.1. All fuses and breakers are good. Fuel tank and propane tanks were completely full. Even when plugged in to shore power the furnace would not operate. We used it a couple weeks ago and had to purge the propane lines a couple times but eventually got it going, not so lucky this time.

The generator has been problematic since we got it. It’s been in the shop twice for repairs. Both times it has worked briefly after being worked on. The autogen setting has never worked right. It will kick on, then after it shuts off it turns the autogen setting off. When we called Thor they had us try to start the generator while plugged in to shore power, but it doesn’t even try to start. All the connections are good, so the problem is above my paygrade! We made an appointment at the dealership to get it fixed, but can’t try in for 3 weeks, so the trip we were planning in 2 weeks is going to be canceled. It’s just frustrating.

We cut our trip short because Wyoming with only a space heater is no fun. We drove 11 hours with only dash heat. Barely got the temp inside the coach to 54 degrees. It kind of makes me never want to take the coach out again.

Again, thank you for the guidance. It is much appreciated!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #18

THOR #20912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I suggest you google "Camp Newmar" It is a 45 spot full hookup lot for coaches awaiting maintenance beside the factory. Usually it is nearly full except over Christmas holidays. Considering Newmar only produces 13 coach a week and 8 of them are gas that seems a lot for repair Remember that Thor MC plant 650 produces 14 coaches a day and plant 750 produces 10-14 coaches a day. There are 4 other Thor MC plants plus the two Jayco Motor Coach plants. Currently 40% of all motor coaches produced in NA are manufactured by Thor Industries.

That is some food for thought....
Old 10-20-2020, 01:47 AM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would suggest not looking for a 'thor' dealer to do your warranty diagnosis and work, but a qualified RV tech, whether mobile or a separate individual 'shop only' type - that's their ONLY work, so they want to get it right - dealerships are more after sales - service comes second.

As for the Auto Start, or AGS, I know a lot about that, though my coach is a 2014 model - the basic design should be the same, though. There is a setting with the AGS, maybe named 'type', where there are two options: 'RV', or 'Other'. You might initially believe that you should have it set to the logical 'RV', since you're an RV, obviously, but that's usually NOT the setting you want. Here's why:
the setting is designed to 'override' your AGS settings whenever you manually stop the generator. Why? Don't know, but if you change it to 'Other', this never then happens - your AGS works like it's 'supposed' to, regardless of whether or how many times you might turn it off manually when the AGS had originally started it.

Now, as for the furnace, I can only imagine what you've mentioned has something to do with the propane reaching the ignitor. If it doesn't 'sense' that flame, for lack of propane, it's safety design shuts off the furnace.... makes sense. Why the propane is not getting to your ignitor is probably the issue. Kink in a line, etc. If it worked at some point, chances are it's not the furnace itself.

As for using electric space heaters, that's actually our much favored method of heating, as I don't like the sound of the furnace, or it's usage of propane, at least when we have plenty of shore power - one up front, one in the bedroom, both on medium, and on differing circuits.
Certainly, of course, the furnace is primary when off-grid and little power options other than the generator. Just like with air conditioning, you can't really have 'enough' unless your run the generator almost 24/7, it seems, though we've done that before, too. The Onan generator is perfectly capable of handling it - it's mostly 'us' that have the reservations that we're somehow 'using it too much'. It's also very efficient.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote