Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
We can discuss this subject to no end. Just do your own research and come to your own conclusions - that what I did and I feel confident I did the right thing for me.

I still think AGM are far superior in every way (Except price) but I also just upgraded my converter to "make sure" they dont get ruined over time.

I think if you "actively manage" your batteries by NOT charging a full battery all week long - you will come out ahead. Charge for a day or two then unplug or turn converter off via breaker (or put the door switch in store while at camp ground).

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"5 minutes to reprogram the charger"

Expand on this...it's the only thing I said negative about the AGM's and it's a 50/50 opinion about this subject. What's the Truth..The Whole Truth...and Nothing But The Truth.
On the Tuscany all you need to do is change the battery type to AGM from flooded and set the voltage limits per the data sheet for the battery type/brand

Very easy to do on the set up menu for the inverter/charger
Old 02-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
We can discuss this subject to no end. Just do your own research and come to your own conclusions ..
agreed, so let me throw in my last 'two cents', if that makes sense : )

The question of 'which' battery I should have is really one that depends on so many of your own desires, concerns, and financial comfort level - the same with your decision of what RV to purchase.

Some of us may ask 'why' you purchased a 'such and such' RV, with FLA batteries that you are so concerned about, when you could have easily purchased a different 'such and such' RV which comes with AGMs, or even some with LITHIUM - but that's a financial decision.
Some of us will purchase a 'stock' car, and add all of our own 'upgrades', whereas others will purchase the 'top of the line' car that Already has all the bells and whistles.

My concern over the 'comparison' of FLA versus AGM batteries is less to do with maintenance, as I see very little with FLA, especially in light of how some seem to characterize the 'hardships' of taking care of them - it's no different than 'having' to check your oil, or your transmission fluid, or your tire pressure...it's just simple stuff that takes 5 minutes.
The financial consideration is one that I can't wrap my brain around, if you are considering spending 2 1/2 times as much for such an item - which for the typical RVing family, will take a LONG time to ever 'break even'... if you are at all concerned with the financial considerations.

4 or more years for the average RVing 'weekend' 12 x per year public - or even MUCH greater for those that are typically on SHORE POWER most of the time anyway - maybe 8 years for many.

But, I also understand that folks buy 'because' it makes them feel better, no matter the 'financial' consideration, in many situations. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #24

State: California
THOR #10354
Save your money

It's just a battery and will last 4-6 years if not abused. AGM's were built and are required when they are to be used in a car passenger area or trunk because there is no outgassing. Deep cycle batteries work well and for a long time if they are not excessively discharged. Discharging any battery to a level below 11V will have detrimental effects on their life. Each 2V cell in a lead acid battery, (12V uses 6 cells, 6V uses 3 cells) needs the cell voltages to be kept above around 1.85V for their expected lifetime and AGMs are no exception. A battery's life can be seriously damaged according the the depth of discharge, time in the discharged state, and number of times the battery is heavily discharged.
RV systems "float charge" batteries for maximum life, trailing the charge current as the battery voltage goes above around 13.5V (constant current then constant voltage). As batteries age, their internal leakage current increases requiring more attention to charging if necessary.
I have had car batteries last for 8 years when not abusing them with deep discharge.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #25

THOR #12231
Yeah im all for saving money. IMO never replace a good battery until its needed (but also before it leaves you stranded - esp in your "starting battery" on the wifes car!).

So baby the OEM batteries for as long as possible then replace with the ones you like best.

Hopefully in 5 years the lithium batteries will be cheap enough for the average RVer to consider as a replacement. I think I read something the other day where some lithiums have a battery management built into them that allows them to be charged by a regular converter? And they will shut down when temp is below 32 deg (well they wont let you charge them which will cause permeant damage at freezing temps).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Long...in Post #9 you stated nothing needs to be done differently for AGM charging...in Post 21 you state you "upgraded" your converter to make sure they don't get ruined. You also suggest "unplug or turn converter off" is best medicine. My coach, as many owners do, stays plugged in 24/7 at home and I depend on the converter/charger to maintain flooded batteries. Confusing...but it seems this thread went on and on for this exact concern...AGM's more sensitive to standard converter charging...or not? This is exactly why I'm still on the fence about going AGM. I don't question your knowledge but these two Posts seem to conflict each other. Help!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Long...in Post #9 you stated nothing needs to be done differently for AGM charging...in Post 21 you state you "upgraded" your converter to make sure they don't get ruined. You also suggest "unplug or turn converter off" is best medicine. My coach, as many owners do, stays plugged in 24/7 at home and I depend on the converter/charger to maintain flooded batteries. Confusing...but it seems this thread went on and on for this exact concern...AGM's more sensitive to standard converter charging...or not? This is exactly why I'm still on the fence about going AGM. I don't question your knowledge but these two Posts seem to conflict each other. Help!!
The more time you keep any lead/acid battery fully charged the longer it will last. The deeper the discharge of any lead acid battery the shorter the life in cycles. AGM out gas less than FLA because the greater movement of hydrogen gas for recombination. Rapid recharging of AGM batteries (over 10 to 13% of the battery banks amp-hour capacity) can lead to out gassing by overwhelm the battery's gas recombination ability. Basically the slower you recharge any lead acid battery the longer it will last. FLA batteries out gas even at moderate charging rates. Over charging any LA battery will boil-off water and can warp the battery's plates. The thicker the battery's plates the greater the battery life, but the less the battery's capacity in amp-hours for equal weight batteries.

Hope this helps.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #28

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
On the Tuscany all you need to do is change the battery type to AGM from flooded and set the voltage limits per the data sheet for the battery type/brand

Very easy to do on the set up menu for the inverter/charger
I should expand as you need to check the times on the three stages and be sure they are set to match your battery choice
Old 02-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #29

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
most of us with a "lower-end" coach have the WFCO converter.
i believe that there's no way to re-program a WFCO.
is there???
Old 02-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #30

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
most of us with a "lower-end" coach have the WFCO converter.
i believe that there's no way to re-program a WFCO.
is there???
No re-programing (well unless you know some electronics expert that can tweak it internally) but no buttons or switched on the WFCO (when I removed mine I looked).

Thats one reason I went with the PD 4655 converter. They are safe for LA and AGM and they guarantee not to boil your battery.

Plus it seems like the WFCO have a higher rate of failure and most owners dont know this untill the ruin a set (or TWO sets) of batteries.

The seem to be much quieter (so far at least but only plugged in once to far). PD had a heat sink that might have about twice the surface area as the WFCO, plus TWO cooling fans that run at variable speeds (Not high speed only like WFCO).
Old 02-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #31

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
No re-programing (well unless you know some electronics expert that can tweak it internally) but no buttons or switched on the WFCO (when I removed mine I looked).

Thats one reason I went with the PD 4655 converter. They are safe for LA and AGM and they guarantee not to boil your battery.

Plus it seems like the WFCO have a higher rate of failure and most owners dont know this untill the ruin a set (or TWO sets) of batteries.

The seem to be much quieter (so far at least but only plugged in once to far). PD had a heat sink that might have about twice the surface area as the WFCO, plus TWO cooling fans that run at variable speeds (Not high speed only like WFCO).

Good info, thank you.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #32

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
BEFORE you spend all that money make sure you understand the uses of each type of battery. For instance, I rarely boondock. So an AGM is not worth it. I bought the Interstate Deep Cycle batteries from Costco. My rig is parked in the back yard with power. So I installed the Qwik-Fill system and check each month.

When I am on the road, I mostly stay at RV parks or, at least, parks with power. AGM would be overkill for me.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #33

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
BEFORE you spend all that money make sure you understand the uses of each type of battery. For instance, I rarely boondock. So an AGM is not worth it. I bought the Interstate Deep Cycle batteries from Costco. My rig is parked in the back yard with power. So I installed the Qwik-Fill system and check each month.

When I am on the road, I mostly stay at RV parks or, at least, parks with power. AGM would be overkill for me.
He has a valid point. But LA can be a PITA for many RV'ers. Many just forget to check them and they dont clean the posts every year. (FYI : dont have to worry about cleaning posts on AGMs).

I hated my OEM LA battery and they died after 9 mo of use (I always checked them every 30 days = topped off) so I wanted something better AND in 6volt. The LA 6 volts were all too too tall to fit under my steps so I went with the 6 volt AGM and love them. But I was looking at LA (for the price) first.

Now = No worries, no maintainance. I love AGM's but they are pricey.... I guess its all depends on your needs and expectations.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
All points well taken...similar "lifestyle" here as 'gbrown' for the moment. Once we head out west later his year maybe I'll need to AGM's. We'll boondock more, but I'll also be carrying portables. Factory wets are doing fine now...stays plugged in at home. Lots to learn. There's a fine line between need and just wanting the best.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote