Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #20004
Talked with Thor and Dometic..Crazy town..
Thor shows my MH as having already received the Colman Mach 15 upgrade. I couldn’t tell from the manual in my what this thing was. On the roof is actually a Dometic 15k with heat pump Penguin II (which replaced the BRISK). Thor is confident they did not put this on either as an upgrade or a warranty replacement. The Mach 15 upgrade by Thor doesn’t include a heat pump or strip according to Thor. They guess the heat pump as the reason the previous owner upgraded it. However, it is installed with a non ducted ADB when it should really just have a return vent according to Dometic.. Before replacing the ADB, I will be pulling it off to see how I can adapt it to provide air to the ducts..
I let Thor off the phone before I could ask how they install these. On my previous MH, there was nothing on the ceiling. The row of vents on the drivers side were return vents and the row on the passenger side were supply vents. Still need to understand how the vents in the Vegas are used. Are they all supply with the return being in the ceiling cover?

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
RodIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodIndy View Post
Talked with Thor and Dometic..Crazy town..
Thor shows my MH as having already received the Colman Mach 15 upgrade. I couldn’t tell from the manual in my what this thing was. On the roof is actually a Dometic 15k with heat pump Penguin II (which replaced the BRISK). Thor is confident they did not put this on either as an upgrade or a warranty replacement. The Mach 15 upgrade by Thor doesn’t include a heat pump or strip according to Thor. They guess the heat pump as the reason the previous owner upgraded it. However, it is installed with a non ducted ADB when it should really just have a return vent according to Dometic.. Before replacing the ADB, I will be pulling it off to see how I can adapt it to provide air to the ducts..
I let Thor off the phone before I could ask how they install these. On my previous MH, there was nothing on the ceiling. The row of vents on the drivers side were return vents and the row on the passenger side were supply vents. Still need to understand how the vents in the Vegas are used. Are they all supply with the return being in the ceiling cover?

Yes!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #23

THOR #20004
Thanks. Yeah, that's the same part Dometic told me to get. But I think more is wrong than just the "cover". The cover I have now includes the return section as well as vents as if in a non ducted installation. But closing those all off should make it act pretty much like the return vent only cover. Has to be some partitions baffles missing or out of place.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #24

THOR #20004
Interested to note (for me at least), Thor tells me that this is the ADB that should have been installed on my upgraded Mach 15. It’s designed to provide the return as well as a vent that can be opened to provide a straight shot of cold air out the bottom of the unit. When closed it directs air back into the ducted system. The Dometic ADB currently installed in my system may have been an attempt to provide the same option..Will open it up a d see what’s going on in there before buying the return only grill. However, since my setup has nothing to do with Thor, I realize my results have no real value to others here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4AF37B2-2B8C-4EEF-A969-62B1F0DD569A.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	28882  
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Old 03-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
RodIndi,

A former 24.1 owner and have moved on but still get Thor’s digest. I don’t have your specific A/C but I did all the mods on the original unit. I found that the duct system being uninsulated results in too much heat gain even with good airflow. I did all the mods to the ducts but didn’t help much. My solution and one of my favorite all time mods was to add a additional directional vent. I also closed off the duct system. After taking the cover off, turn on the blower and add it directly below that. The fact that my unit was 24.1 there really isn’t a need to have a duct system in that size RV. It’s essentially the same length as the Sprinter that I currently own. In Florida in heat of summer after this fix it would freeze you out. Hope this helps.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:44 PM   #26

THOR #20004
Finished this job by installing the correct air distribution box for the unit on the roof. As I’ve already noted, the existing air handler was is NOT a good indicator as to what was installed on the roof. It was just the incorrect air distribution box, period. Now, after sealing and installing the correct unit, my air flow problem is solved. It will knock you over..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEFF5464-8933-4257-8BD2-12D0EF1248C5.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	29199  
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1