Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 29.4
State: New York
THOR #6366
2016 29.4 roof leak

I have a 2016 Ace 29.4 class A that we purchased 3 months ago. The most recent issue, and the most frustrating to this point, is that there is water in the ceiling light fixtures. The AC has not been run, so I don’t believe that condensation overflow is the issue. The dealer has the unit and “has it opened up to dry”. (can’t wait to see this) Any suggestions would be appreciated as the dealer has little direction from the manufacturer besides “find the leak.” There are no obvious holes or sealant issues except for deteriorated sealant at the top front corner of the driver’s side window. Some of the other issues were:
1. Furnace would not ignite or stay lit if it did. (rubber gas line pinched under furnace)
2. Steering wheel 20 degrees from straight when driving straight down road. (after 2 weeks at dealer got it back with wheel straight but turn signal out of index and wouldn’t stay on. Steering wheel re-indexed and now 20 degrees the opposite direction… gave up on issue)
3. “Turbine like” whine/whistle in front of coach at speeds above 50 mph. (new style grill)
4. Warbling wind noise at speeds above 40 mph. (afraid to have them look for it)
5. Six foot by twelve inch trim panel at ceiling in the back above bed fell off. (they nailed it up and smeared putty over the nails)
6. Awning over rear slide-out does not fully retract every time. (was told to run slide out partway and back until it rolls up) (run outside each time to check)
7. Main awning LEDs burned out. (2 months waiting for parts)
There were a few other minor issues that the dealer fixed as well. Forgot to mention that while the unit was out for repair for the steering wheel issue, it came back with a greasy ripped driver’s seat cover, gouges in the entrance door decals and large greasy hand prints on every single exterior storage compartment door. I was told that the dealer didn’t have anyone available to pick it up from the Ford dealership, so if I wanted it for the weekend I’d have to pick it up myself. I was assured that if I’d waited for them to do it, they would have cleaned it.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
If your furnace problem continues, I had the same indications and it was the 4 pin plug for the furnace not making good contact. The pins barely contacted the other side of the plug even when it snapped together. I used a dremel to modify the plug.. Harness and Plug is right next to the furnace.

The "fix" for the awning?? Sounds like the spring is not adjusted correctly. But- If you have a schwintek awning, running it part way in or out can mess up the timing and result in a crooked slideout.

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If your whistle continues look at adjusting the engine hood. Many people complain about the whistle, myself included, adjusted the hood for a better fit and no more whistle. If whistle continues call Thor, they will send you a roll of black honeycomb metal which you can attach to the back of the grill. The metal screen makes a good rock and bug catcher and should also stop the noise.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

THOR #6366
Thanks everyone for the information. I'll have them look at the spring tension while they have the unit fixing the leak. I'm not fond of running the slide in and out. There's an auto brake that locks the awning when the slide is fully retracted, and I wonder about that as well. Thor replaced my original grill with a mesh style, and I was driving home from that repair when we found the water in the ceiling lights. Good news though, the whistle stopped. When I get it back, I'm hoping to see if insulating the A pillars will block the warble wind noise. I like the doghouse noise upgrade that one fellow did and may attempt the same at some point.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Sounds like a mechanic sat in the seat with tools in his pocket. Pretty sad that supposed professionals are so unprofessional!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #6

THOR #6366
That was either at the alignment facility or the Ford Dealership.