Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
ACE 29.3 dash gauges hard to read .....

We have a 29.3 (2016) and just got back from 1,000 mile trip. The one thing I noted was when it was bright out side, the dash gauges were very difficult to see. The only time they were easy to read was when it was later in the day and the sun was coming in the side window striking the dash. Then they were VERY easy to read. The problem seems to be there is not sufficient light on the dash on bright days (the best days to travel for us.) Has anyone else noted this issue and have you figured an easy way to fix it? I know it is possible this problem only exists with units with the dash shaped like ours.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: How old are your eyeballs?
Mine are pretty old, and bright sunlight just flat-out overpowers any chance that I have, of reading ANY dashboard that I'm sitting behind...
In my case: it's a situation involving some pretty wild glare sensitivity!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

THOR #4032
Dash gauges hard to read

Our unit is still as new, and the problem seems to be the dash is very dark compared to the bright sunlight. When the sun is low and shines in the side window then the gauges are very easy to read. I have had others look and they see the same problem.... Suggestions as to how to remedy the problem are appreciated.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Drive with your headlights on. Dash lights will show up and you will be helping other drivers to see you.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At least the parking lights...
I turn the dash lights up to maximum brightness, and it does help...
Old 06-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Drive with your headlights on. Dash lights will show up and you will be helping other drivers to see you.
I also suggest driving with the headlights on. That is the only way I can see the instrumentation well during the daytime in my Thor Vegas 25.2.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: How old are your eyeballs?
Mine are pretty old, and bright sunlight just flat-out overpowers any chance that I have, of reading ANY dashboard that I'm sitting behind...
In my case: it's a situation involving some pretty wild glare sensitivity!

No doubt our vision changes with age, but vehicle design can also make a big difference.

I recall driving a rented Class C where the overhead bed extended well beyond the windshield, casting a shadow on cab during middle of day, and it made it impossible for me to see the smaller gauges unless I turned on the lights. However, others in vehicle did not have the problem to the same extent. Later in day when sunlight came through drivers side window, everything was very clear.

Even in normal vehicles the difference can be significant. My Honda gauges are always very easy to see, whereas my Ford E-Series can sometimes be difficult. Perhaps if I was 20 I wouldn’t notice the difference, but there is a difference between them. I think it may be a combination of factors that contribute to the overall problem.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Parking lights are for parking. Turn the big ones on, I promise you won't be wasting electricity.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our Axis has DRL's so it doesn't change much if you turn the headlights on or not.

There was a thread on here talking about the dash lighting not being bright enough (they replaced the lights behind the dash with brighter LEDs I believe).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I ended up getting a HUD (heads up display) that plugged into the OBD. This was a great addition, now I can see the mph, rpm, temp without looking down. Its a bright display right on the windsheld.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
This is a common problem with the Ford F53 dash. We have DRLs as well but they don't illuminate the dash. As others have mentioned the only way to see the dash gauges better is to turn on your headlights, but remember to turn them off when you stop as there is no built-in chime/reminder when you turn off the engine. You can add one very easily which I have done because I have been known to forget to turn off the headlights in the daytime.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1528458651
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	413Y-Rcvk7L.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	10635  
Old 06-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
I have my Android phone on an extended cradle so I can see it very easily to the right of the steering wheel. I started running an app called Ulysse Speedometer, which is much easier to see than the dashboard speedometer.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Hang in there guys, I'll have a detailed fix for you soon. Or at least for the Vegas/Axis owners.

It should be very easy to wire the dash lights to turn on with the ignition. That's what I'm going to do with ours. I'll post what wires to connect, I know the accessory/ignition feed wires go right behind the dash under the access panel so I'm thinking is should be something that's easy enough for most anyone to do. Doing the same mod on the F53's dash should be pretty simple too.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #15

THOR #4032
Next week, I am going to try to replace a bulb (or few) to see if brighter light bulbs fix this. I will post my results! Thank you. Bob
Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #16

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
We have a 29.3 (2016) and just got back from 1,000 mile trip. The one thing I noted was when it was bright out side, the dash gauges were very difficult to see. The only time they were easy to read was when it was later in the day and the sun was coming in the side window striking the dash. Then they were VERY easy to read. The problem seems to be there is not sufficient light on the dash on bright days (the best days to travel for us.) Has anyone else noted this issue and have you figured an easy way to fix it? I know it is possible this problem only exists with units with the dash shaped like ours.
We just traded our 5th Wheel for a 2017 Thor Challenger 37 TB and it's gauges are hard to see as well. Thinking of adding a small section of Led at the top of the Dashboard opening, and maybe for the switches on either side of the gages. Or maybe I'll get may wife to make larger labels for the switches.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:23 AM   #17

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
We just traded our 5th Wheel for a 2017 Thor Challenger 37 TB and it's gauges are hard to see as well. Thinking of adding a small section of Led at the top of the Dashboard opening, and maybe for the switches on either side of the gages. Or maybe I'll get my wife to make larger labels for the switches.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:34 AM   #18

THOR #11321
be happy
Where did you get this HUD ?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Max
I do not remember where I purchased it from, I did it online but NOT through Amazon. The model is an A8 with a 5.5 in color screen display. Once set up it works great.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #20

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
We just traded our 5th Wheel for a 2017 Thor Challenger 37 TB and it's gauges are hard to see as well. Thinking of adding a small section of Led at the top of the Dashboard opening, and maybe for the switches on either side of the gages. Or maybe I'll get my wife to make larger labels for the switches.
We went to our RV Storage Yard today. I removed the dash access panel on top of the dash board and discovered the lights only come on when you turn on your headlights. So yes, maybe the answer is to drive with your headlights on. However, I am afraid I may forget to turn them off when parked, resulting in a discharged battery.

I will try driving with them on on our next trip and see if it helps or not and will advise all of you. Funny, I don't have a problem reading my gauges in my Nissan Rogue or Chevy Spark in the daytime, so those of you who suggested my eyes were not working are mistaken.