Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2023, 01:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #13975
2016 dead axxera

need to replace this front unit, does anyone recommend a new replacement? any info on the camera switch that is supposed to be located somewhere in this mess in the dash? I noticed that the factory unit was wired with an wiring harness to the factory plug , is there a unit i can buy that plug and play Thanks

Old 01-16-2023, 02:17 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Endless threads on this already. Some have continued long enough to become a new life form...
Old 01-16-2023, 03:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautoperf View Post
need to replace this front unit, does anyone recommend a new replacement? any info on the camera switch that is supposed to be located somewhere in this mess in the dash? I noticed that the factory unit was wired with an wiring harness to the factory plug , is there a unit i can buy that plug and play Thanks
Might want to search and browse the Forum.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:27 PM   #4

THOR #13975
thanks have seen posts on this but most of the units i have looked up from this are not available any longer was looking for advise on something current and info on camera switch location and operation
Old 01-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
thanks have seen posts on this but most of the units i have looked up from this are not available any longer was looking for advise on something current and info on camera switch location and operation
Most Thor MHs use a standard double-DIN radio form factor; so any double-DIN form factor radio will work.

The replacement will NOT be plug and play - you will need to wire the harness/connector that comes with the new radio to the chassis wiring.

Where the switch box is depends on what Year/Make/Model MH you have. Most are under the dash.

The switch box supplies power to the cameras and takes the 3 camera feeds and supplies the video to the radio via an RCA style plug. Rear view camera is always fed to the radio by default. The turn signal tells the switch box to change the video feed to the appropriate side camera.
The switch box also triggers the radio to switch to the camera input whenever the transmission is in REVERSE or the turn signal is activated.

Your new radio only needs a backup camera input and trigger which 99% of all new radios have.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:57 PM   #6
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
You may do a search for the radio's documentation on line. That should have the pin out for the connector. Sometime you can get the factory adapter kit from Crutchfield. You can get the radio from them as well. If you run into a problem, they have techs that can help.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:05 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Check out this forum.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...m70-32668.html

Thor will be able to recommend a Plug and Play replacement. Otherwise, the forum link above will have several recommendations. I personally am installing the Kenwood DNX775RVS for the RV navigation features. If you have class B or class C motorhome https://www.crutchfield.com/ might be able to help with a wiring harness but if you own a class A motorhome you will be on your own.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:33 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I replaced the Axxera in our previous 2016 Vegas with a double din unit from Crutchfield.
If you can match yellow to yellow, red to red and etc, you can splice the wires to a new unit,. The camera feed from the switcher was the easiest part.

You don't need plug and play, IMHO.

Tags
camera hookups, stereo