Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2023, 08:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #31287
2016 Four Winds 28Z cigarette lighter plug question

Waiting delivery on a used Four Winds RV on an E450 chassis and wondering whether the cigarette lighter plugs are always hot or if they’re by ignition? Have a few accessories to install when I receive it.
Thanks!

Old 11-30-2023, 09:07 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by plav1959 View Post
Waiting delivery on a used Four Winds RV on an E450 chassis and wondering whether the cigarette lighter plugs are always hot or if they’re by ignition? Have a few accessories to install when I receive it.
Thanks!
On my 2018 ACE 30.3 the Dashboard 12V outlets (Cigar Lighter ports) are always hot powered from the Chassis battery. I have always had a problem with those 12v lighter plug in adapters working loose. To fix that problem I replaced the two under the radio with USB power ports. Now I can directly plug in my phone to charge I no longer need to have one of those 12v USB chargers. Btw my TPMS also runs from one of these as well.

This is like what I used all I needed to do was to use a stepped drill to enlarge the hole to fit the larger diameter of the power port.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Voltm...32&sr=8-5&th=1

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:15 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #31287
Thanks for the reply Dan. Unfortunately the two accessories I would like to get require the 12v plugs. Was hoping to not have to do any rewiring. How were you able to remove the existing ports without removing the dash bezel?
Old 11-30-2023, 09:25 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by plav1959 View Post
Thanks for the reply Dan. Unfortunately the two accessories I would like to get require the 12v plugs. Was hoping to not have to do any rewiring. How were you able to remove the existing ports without removing the dash bezel?
Mine is a class A it would have been easy to reach behind and unscrew the capture nut. In my case I had to remove that part of the dash because all the studs had broken free of that part of the dash panel.

Also consider if the power brick for your device plugs into the device with some sort of USB connector you can use one of the connectors I showed you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashboard mod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	44381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim Panel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	44382  

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote