Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2016, 01:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Super C 35SB
State: Colorado
THOR #3579
2016 Super C Four Winds F550 spilling diesel fuel?

We have a terrible time filling our RV, a 2016 Thor Four Winds Super C 35SB, it is terribly slow filling it up with fuel and we can never tell if we are full or not when we pump. I sit in the drivers seat and tell my husband to stop pumping when we hit 3/4 fill. We have two tanks. Today, after a horrendous week being stranded because our hydraulic line blew and spewed hydraulic fuel up inside the cab of the truck, etc., we finally got home after forking out $996.00 for a mobile diesel repair guy to fix us. We had just had our driveway sealed and when I pulled up and backed into my spot to park, the RV had spilled about 3 gallons of diesel. We have no idea where it came from, my husband thinks there is an overflow valve - but we honestly do not know. Any thoughts or suggestions? He is out there now scrubbing with dish soap as we live in the mountains of Colorado and our fire danger is fire high.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:14 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Lot's of posts regarding your fueleing problem. The problem most likely is the vent tubes at each of the filler tubes is either kincked or sagging below the main filler tube. Some have found that the vent tubes are too long. The shortest suggestion is to make sure your vent tube is secured above the main filler tube as straight as possible. Hope this helps. I'm glad my 35SK never had that problem.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

THOR #3579
Thank you - I just found the posts about the refueling, however, does anyone have any idea where and why it is spilling out when on an angle?
Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

THOR #711
Hi Annie, a couple of questions. When the MH was parked at home, were both tanks full of fuel? The 3 gallons of fuel that you mentioned, did it gush out all at once or more of a fuel loss over time? Can you tell if the fuel loss was from the front 28 gallon tank or the rear 40 gallon tank? You mentioned being parked at an angle, was the driver side of the MH the low side? I wish I had my 35SK home with me, I'd crawl under it and see what kind of configuration the tanks have as far as tank plugs, sending unit location, pickup line to feed the generator, etc, any of which could be the culprit.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #5

THOR #3579
Thank you again, it was the rear tank (40 gallons), it spilled suddenly when I was on a slope, the high end was the front end and I was backing it down a hill into my spot. The tank was 3/4 full.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Maybe it's like a Chihuahua dog & just gets excited when you shut it off!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

THOR #711
Annie, if your husband can get under the 40 gallon tank, have him take a mirror and flashlight with him and inspect all things on the top rear of the tank and the sides of the tank, left, right and rear. He may be able to determine the source or area of the fuel leak. It's possible that there is a vent plug at the top rear of the tank that may be stuck open as your husband mentioned. If the source of the leak can not be determined, I think your problem would be blamed on Ford by Thor. I would contact Thor and ask them how they want to handle the issue. Either way, all repair costs should be handled under warranty. Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #8

THOR #3579
Thank you very much! I will let you know what we find.