Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2150
GFCI Electrical Problems

Having electrical problems with your GFCI circuits? I was until yesterday. Read on...

Problem: Outlets in garage, slide and kitchen inoperative. Center-located a/c unit has ES code flashing (appeared to be unrelated, but a problem).

Thor Customer Service: [3 calls] "The bathroom GFCI is the problem." Liars! "We will send wiring diagrams to your email." Liars!

Troubleshooting: [26 man hours] Replaced GFCI labeled circuit breaker (not fixed); opened every accessible panel and door for wiring inspection (no bad wiring found); tested garage GFCI outlet from garage in bathroom (not fixed); replaced failing (ES code) center-located a/c unit (FIXED EVERYTHING!)

Bottom Line: If your A/C unit is bad, so will your other electrical circuits! I vote with my hard earned dollar. I will think long and hard about owning another Thor.

2012 Thor Outlaw Motor Coach - Second owner

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Outlaw, welcome to the Thor owners club - a very frustrating place to live. Sorry about your troubles dude. Thanks for the tip BTW, will remember that if this issue ever pops up.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #3

State: Tennessee
THOR #3154
I'm having GFCI tripping problems in my Thor 34.1. Can you tell me more about the ES code & your A/C unit problem? I've checked the wiring on all my receptacles that are connected to the GFCI & the wiring appears ok.
Thanks,
Old 12-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have had GFCI units in homes that have failed. Replacing the receptacle solved the problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #5

Model: ACE
THOR #1978
How many GFCI's are there?

Can anyone tell me how many GFCI's are on an 2016 ACE 29.2? I can only find the one in the bathroom. But I am not convinced there is not another one. The outlet above our sink and the outlet under the dining room table have all of a sudden stopped working. Both say they are GFCI protected, but the outlet in the bathroom does work, as well as all the other outlets. Very confusing to me why they just stopped working.

I took both the outlet out and check to see if the connections were ok and they appear to be good. Just don't understand what is going on.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmcclintock View Post
Can anyone tell me how many GFCI's are on an 2016 ACE 29.2? I can only find the one in the bathroom. But I am not convinced there is not another one. The outlet above our sink and the outlet under the dining room table have all of a sudden stopped working. Both say they are GFCI protected, but the outlet in the bathroom does work, as well as all the other outlets. Very confusing to me why they just stopped working.

I took both the outlet out and check to see if the connections were ok and they appear to be good. Just don't understand what is going on.
On mine the wire goes from GFCI in bathroom to a junction box under my dinette before it goes to a Chase under the rig to the kitchen and outside outlet don't know if you have the same may be a loose wire there

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #7

THOR #3261
I wouldn't necessarily be too hard on the guy, RV's can be tricky to troubleshoot. I had a GFCI popping intermittently. Thankfully, it didn't happen very often so I never bothered with it.

Found out later when investigating another issue that my bathroom sink faucet was probably the culprit all along!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
GFI's can be a real PITA to trouble shoot. They are often extremely sensitive. Had the GFI in the bathroom of our Gemini trip over and over. Turned out to be a ground fault in the Kitchen outlet, on the same circuit. Had a GFI at home trip, replaced the GFI outlet and it still tripped, then after a couple of days it stayed on, and has been fine for over two months. On our previous DP, if while plugged into power in the storage garage, if the refrigerator was on, it would trip the garage GFI, if the refrigerator was off, it wouldn't. When plugged into shore power at RV parks it never tripped anything, worked fine. Never did figure that one out.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Lightning can cause GFCIs to trip. Also I have found that certain lights (such as some florescences) if on the same circuit, can cause the GFCI to trip.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
I had GFCI tripping problems too. It turned out that an outdoor outlet had a failed gasket and the box was wet from rain. Opened it up, let it dry out, replaced the gasket and added a bit of silicone and the trouble stopped. Not a wire problem at all, just water.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
I had GFCI tripping problems too. It turned out that an outdoor outlet had a failed gasket and the box was wet from rain. Opened it up, let it dry out, replaced the gasket and added a bit of silicone and the trouble stopped. Not a wire problem at all, just water.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
And that is exactly WHY there are GFCI requirements in wet locations... It did its job to protect you.

--------

There is normally a reason for it tripping... I have replaced a failed GFCI outlet too. Sometimes simpler to start looking at what is in use at the time - it could be a faulty extension cord, appliance, etc... GFCI is not 'over-current' - it is 'leakage' to ground.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You may have already checked this but I'll mention it just in case. Many owners have found the wiring inside the transfer switch box and main breaker panel to be loose or not fully inserted in to screw clamps. Poor connections can cause a lot of intermittent problems. Considering how many wires are in a MH it can be a PIA to check them all but I would start at the beginning, the transfer switch, and work my way out from there. Also might want to check the connections at the back of the shore power plug where your shore line plugs in.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #1079
I have been in electronics for 35 years. What is an ES code? I have a 2016 Thor freedom elite 28H. I asked the "tech" at thor and she emailed me a diagram of the outlets but no wireing or schematic.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #1079
I have almost the same problem only the receptical under the dinning room table is dead. The wire goes under the floor. I have not checked to see if there is a access panel under the slide out but that is next. I found a junction box under the sink but all three sets of wires are hot. I have a 2016 Thor freedom elite 28H.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13976
Same issue now solved

Thankyou for this information. Flipping the breaker and pushing the G.F.I. solved our problem especially before my husband was thinking of ripping all the wiring out and rewiring everything himself.lol
Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If you have and additional GFI problems, just replace the GFI. That's what I finally had to do, which solved the problem.