Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #9475
2016 Thor Chateau 31w leaking on bottom corner of slides.

We have a 2016 Thor Chateau 31w that is still under factory warranty. We have had issues with seeing daylight and leaking on the bottom corners of the wall slide from day 1. We are mainly having problems when the slide is in. It’s looks like the drain cups are uneven and they are filling up with water and leaking in the camper. Dealer tried to fix several times and they said that they contacted Thor for a solution. It seems like they keep adding pieces of rubber to it, and this is not fixing the problem. This coach has been a nightmare since we have bought it New 6 months ago. Too many problems to list.....
Have any of you experienced this? This seems like a major design flaw. We have been very disappointed with Thor so far. We have sent the dealer and Thor videos of it leaking and still not fixed.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 AM   #2

THOR #9475
Drip rail ordered

I just ordered some trim lok drain rail that I will run along the top rail near the roof. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

THOR #9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
We have a 2016 Thor Chateau 31w that is still under factory warranty. We have had issues with seeing daylight and leaking on the bottom corners of the wall slide from day 1. We are mainly having problems when the slide is in. It’s looks like the drain cups are uneven and they are filling up with water and leaking in the camper. Dealer tried to fix several times and they said that they contacted Thor for a solution. It seems like they keep adding pieces of rubber to it, and this is not fixing the problem. This coach has been a nightmare since we have bought it New 6 months ago. Too many problems to list.....
Have any of you experienced this? This seems like a major design flaw. We have been very disappointed with Thor so far. We have sent the dealer and Thor videos of it leaking and still not fixed.
It has a drain cup that is leaning backwards, this fills up with water and then leaks inside the coach. Should this drain cup be level or draining forward? Is this something that has to be fixed at the factory, or can my dealer handle it? Please let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I had the same thing! At the PDI I saw daylight at the bottom of the slide when it was closed. The issue, fixed by the dealer, was an outside body molding that should have stopped just before the slide but wasn't. When the slide was in it overlapped the molding instead of sealing against the side. The fix was to remove the molding cap, cut back the molding with a dremel tool and reset the cap with caulking.

Now that you've had the ongoing leak, water damage to the subfloor seems certain. Check for swelling. This has to be repaired soon.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Florida
THOR #6899
Realise this post is a little old, but we have just discovered the same or similar issue with our 2017 31W. It is out of warrantee so trying to figure out the best way of remedying the situation. When we store our coach in the compound and the slide is in it leaks. When we are away and the slide is out we don't have any problems even when there is torrential rain. I could do with a little more info from those of you that have experienced this issue just so I know whether I can fix it myself or need to get some outside help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11108.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	12079  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #6

THOR #9475
Check the outside trim pieces on the outside of the slide and silicone if needed. Water was getting in that way. The dealer also adjusted the bar at the bottom of the slide that allows it to close tighter. We will sometimes still get a little water. Too frustrating. It has gotten better, but still not great.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #7

THOR #6899
Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
Check the outside trim pieces on the outside of the slide and silicone if needed. Water was getting in that way. The dealer also adjusted the bar at the bottom of the slide that allows it to close tighter. We will sometimes still get a little water. Too frustrating. It has gotten better, but still not great.
Thanks - will check that out. The water comes in under the slide for sure, so maybe the answer is to get the bar adjusted as you suggest to make a tighter seal.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Missouri
THOR #18870
2020 Thor Chateau 31W Slide Leaking

We own a 2020 Thor Chateau 31W and we have leaking since day 1. Between Thor and Camping World they have replaced the seals and the subflooring. Our RV has been in the shop more than we have had it to use. We picked it up yesterday from the slide being removed so they could replace the entire seal and the flooring and now the leaking is even worse.
We too have sent photos, complaints, emails, phone calls - all to be where we are today, no better and out thousands of dollars.

Did adjusting the bottom bar help anyone?
Old 05-05-2021, 04:24 AM   #9

THOR #6899
Sorry for not posting a positive reply, but we ended up having to have the whole slide floor replaced because it had gone rotten. Was nothing to do with the main slide seals, they were ok but water was getting in through most everything outside because nothing was properly sealed from the get go. On investigation the dealer even found water damage on our back wall because water had seeped in through the rear light clusters because they had not been properly sealed in the first place. Needless to say we had no recourse with Thor even though we tried. In the end we admitted we had purchased a lemon even though it was brand new. $8000 later we got rid of it, and bought a used Class A Winnebago that is like a palace compared to a Thor piece of trash. Guess you get what you pay for. My advice - never buy anything from Thor unless you're prepared to spend a whole lot of money keeping it roadworthy, safe and sealed.