Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #227
Thor Ace 30.1 Neither slide will retract. HELP!

Help! I can not get either of my slides to come in on my ACE 30.1
The overhead bed is up, the engine is off. Power everywhere, but I can not retract either slide. I'm scratching my head here, just moved to dump on Sunday, set up went without an issue. I can only find one controller, roadside storage rear, I push the button on controller to manuallly override, the led flashes, but slides won't move.
Any suggestions? Is there a safety switch on this overhead bed? Need to move again on Sunday.........HELP!
Thanks, Jim

Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not to insult your intelligence but did you shut off the engine and ensure the ignition switch is not in the on position?

Also, do all other systems using 12VDC power operate?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

THOR #227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Not to insult your intelligence but did you shut off the engine and ensure the ignition switch is not in the on position?

As I mentioned, engine is off. The keys are out of ignition so it's in the off position. All 12V systems work. I have Power everywhere, I'm stumped.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
https://youtu.be/YzqbvwCJpNU I hope this link works. If they are Schwintek slides you have to press the button 6 times and hold it on the 7th I think.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is the Lippert video on manual overriding the Schwintek system:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjimbo View Post
As I mentioned, engine is off. The keys are out of ignition so it's in the off position. All 12V systems work. I have Power everywhere, I'm stumped.
Another ACE owner had an issue about a year or year and a half ago where something similar happened. His leveling Jacks would not work either. His issue was a tripped blade type breaker in the engine compartment. He had checked the breaker located around the batteries but was not aware of the second breaker in the engine compartment. Once he reset that breaker everything worked.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #7

THOR #227
Jaime geek- I can get the controller to flash leds but goes right out. There are no error codes.

Dstankov- I've looked for other breakers but can't find any that are tripped. Definitely a power issue.

Shouldn't there be a controller for each slide? I can only find one controller.
Feels like a safety switch not working as there is no power to either slide. Not wanting to call a mobile repairman......
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #8

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with this but I put my slides out/in with the engine running and it makes no difference but I do have to have the emergency brake on.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Jaime geek- I can get the controller to flash leds but goes right out. There are no error codes.

Dstankov- I've looked for other breakers but can't find any that are tripped. Definitely a power issue.

Shouldn't there be a controller for each slide? I can only find one controller.
Feels like a safety switch not working as there is no power to either slide. Not wanting to call a mobile repairman......
Yeah if the LEDs go out I would suspect a power problem or a short when something gets turned on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Sounds similar to what I had on my 2014 hurricane (without Rapid camp)...
You didn't indicate the year of your Ace.

Neither of my slides would come in... Everything else on the rig worked... couldn't find blown fuses...

Check with a voltmeter at the controller and insure you have 12v coming to the controller.
There are two additional tabs on the controller labeled EXT and RET - that get 12v applied to them from the slide switch - telling the slide to EXTend or RETract... I was not getting any voltage here when the switch was depressed.

Quick workaround - jump 12v from another source (nearby light, etc) to the RET pin and see if slide rolls in... No current draw here - just a 'signal' voltage - the current draw is on the main input lines.
(On mine - was wired backward - power to the EXT tab caused the slide to retract...)

Haven't figured out the true cause yet - assume it is a 'safety switch' of some kind gone bad... I rigged a jumper behind the control panel jumping available 12v (bathroom light hot side of switch) to the center of each slide switch - and they work fine... Had to do a similar jump for the overhead bed (which I expect also won't move for you.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The bed lift fuse in just in front of the drivers left foot. This fuse panel is powered by the chassis battery and associated 100 amp circuit breaker near the chassis battery. This fuse panel supplies electrical power to everything in the front cap installed by Thor Motor Coach. The Ford stuff goes through the fuses under the hood (12 V dash plugs excepted). The bed controller is located in the far left overhead compartment in front of the driver. It is identical to the slide controllers. The slides are powered by the coach batteries through a 100 amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment. The slides fuse is #10 on the coach fuse panel under the bed on the 30.1 and 31S. Each slide has it own slide controller. The rear slide is located in the aft compartment under the bedroom slide and the living room slide controller is is located in the compartment just aft of the generator in the center of the slide. Both controllers are high on the sidewall near the center of the coach. In my coach, a Hurricane, the ignition has to be off and the generator running or shore power connected for the slides to work, either manually or with the rapid camp.

If the controller is in the emergency mode, the LED will alternate rapidly and no codes will be displayed
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There have been some reports of the rapid camp module failing. If it fails nothing it can control, works - light generator, awning & slides. Easy check is see if the awning moves. If it does it is probably not the rapid camp module.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #13

THOR #227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Sounds similar to what I had on my 2014 hurricane (without Rapid camp)...
You didn't indicate the year of your Ace.
GMC, great info and I was wondering about jumping to the switch on controller.
Our Ace is a 2014 30.1, we love/hate it. Actually has been an ok rig, considering it's a boat with wheels. The overhead door and Awning both work. That's what's weird, just the slides are inop on rig, Everything else works. Still can't locate rear slide controller.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #14

THOR #227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There have been some reports of the rapid camp module failing. If it fails nothing it can control, works - light generator, awning & slides. Easy check is see if the awning moves. If it does it is probably not the rapid camp module.
Beau, Everything in rig works except either slide. I'm stumped. Going to try GMC's suggestion and I'll get back.

Thanks all so far for the group troubleshoot
Old 07-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
... Still can't locate rear slide controller.
On Hurricane - the rear slide controller is located under the bed with all the other electrical gear... It will be identical to the other two (front slide and overhead bunk).

At the time - I pushed the rear slide in manually - still need to find the controller though. Disconnect motor from controller - then PUSH with several people...
Took 4 of us to do the bedroom slide... 7 couldn't move the dining/couch slide - that's when I kept digging and used the jumper after talking with Thor...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #16

THOR #227
GMC- I went and jumpered power to the switches, cheap easy fix and they work! Thanks, appreciate the input.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
GMC- I went and jumpered power to the switches, cheap easy fix and they work! Thanks, appreciate the input.
GREAT!! When I figure out WHY I need to jump power - I'll let you know... Sounds like we both have the same issue.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #18

State: Ohio
THOR #15559
I have a Thor ACE 29.3 with a full side slide. This morning I could not retract the slide. After ensuring there were no obstructions and trying EVERYTHING the THOR manual and help desk prescribed, I decided to manually adjust the leveling jacks to raise the SLIDE side of my coach above level. WHA LA! The slide finally retracted normally.

My conclusion - Full side slides are nice. BUT, the motors used on them are marginally able to produce the torque necessary to move them. YOU MUST BE LEVEL OR SLIGHTLY OFF LEVEL TO THE ADVANTAGE OF THE SLIDE. In my case, despite being certain I was level, I had to get unlevel to help the motors bring the slide back.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #19

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
GREAT!! When I figure out WHY I need to jump power - I'll let you know... Sounds like we both have the same issue.

GMC and Mrjimbo, after reading this whole thread again, I am curious if you folks found out why just your slides had no power? Was it a bad slide ignition lockout relay (mounted under the bed in my old ACE 30.1, along with awning lockout and water pump relays) ?

Regarding the slide not moving easily, my 30.1 ACE has relatively small slides (thankfully), but soon after purchasing the coach and reading stories on this forum about people having slide issues with Schwintek, I immediately de-loaded the heaviest items (tool box etc) from my slide storage areas. Have not regretted doing that yet (knock on wood).