Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by nghathaway View Post
Did you happen to solve the roof leak? Your post describes exactly my problem. I have a 2011 THOR ACE 29.1 and just discovered this. I am going to dive in myself and see if I can solve the issue however a little experience will help plenty.

N
CW worked with it and fixed a "window seal" on warranty, but the leak continued not so much over the leveler pane any more but over the dashboard about the spot where the speedom. is. They resealed the windshield and before it rained again, I traded it on a Hurricane.
If you ever have had a windshield replaced, chances are good that they didn't get the seal in quite right....according to many I've talked to or read about, and could be your problem. Didn't fully buy the window seal thing but service tech said that he fixed many Aces this way...I can say, whatever they did to the seal "seemed" to limit the water coming in at the side and running over the leveler panel beside the steering wheel. Care has to be taken when doing a seal of your own on those window channels in that there are weep holes that are necessary and sometimes, you seal them shut making a problem all by themselves. You might resurrect the topic though and see if anyone has had better luck in the past year/

Old 06-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #22

State: Georgia
THOR #4637
2015 27.1 Leaking

We just went full time in our ACE and have detected leaks that may have been happening since who knows how long. The floor in front of the Passenger seat was found to be soaked after a Florida down pour. Found water dripping from under the dash. I have resealed the fwd and aft cap straps.
Following this thread to see if any of the above remedies works.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking1967 View Post
We just went full time in our ACE and have detected leaks that may have been happening since who knows how long. The floor in front of the Passenger seat was found to be soaked after a Florida down pour. Found water dripping from under the dash. I have resealed the fwd and aft cap straps.
Get on the roof and check the seam between the cap and the roof. Ours leaked there until I Eternabonded the entire seam.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #24

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Get on the roof and check the seam between the cap and the roof. Ours leaked there until I Eternabonded the entire seam.
Does Eternabond tape work better than plain old dicor? Or do you use dicor along the edges of the tape?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #25

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking1967 View Post
We could actually see the water coming in and running down the walls. If you don't see that, you might want to have the windshield gasket checked...if the windshield was ever replaced, the chances that the new gasket didn't seal is pretty good. There is a kinda expensive pressure test that was written up in "Motorhome" a few months ago that can find leaks.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #26

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonniecrow@gmail.com View Post
I just saw this post on ACE Driver's side window leak. My 2015 had a similar water leak making the carpet wet on the floor in the front passenger side corner where the firewall meets the side wall inside the cabin. It leaked every time we drove in the rain. I took it in to Camping World (CW) under warranty. It was diagnosed as a window leak. In and out of CW many time during the first year for water leak and other issues. Some missing parts like a ladder for the front bunk, plywood cover under the couch bed, fresh water tank not secured in place, awning lighting not working, awning electric motor bad, water pump failure, outside TV inop just to name a few. The water leak problem was the biggest concern.
During the last month of my warranty period I called Thor got permission to call in an independent mobile RV repair tech. The Tech spent about 30 minutes on inspection and troubleshooting the water leak. After calling and coordinating with Thor for permission to make warranty repairs he found the following: The water leak was from an improperly sealed side view mirror. The mirror didn't have a gasket to seal it between the mirror base and side wall. When we drove in the rain the wind sail load on the mirror flexed it against the side wall letting water seep behind the mirror mounting arm. When the mirror was removed I saw that no type of gasket was present. The water would pool and run into the hole used for the wire connection and down the wall to wet the carpet. Fairly easy fix. Gasket sealer was applied to both mirror bases and wiring holes. That was three years ago and no problem with leaking. The tech found these other problems. The upper clearance light gaskets were improperly seated and water seeping into the covers and leaking into the roof through the electrical wire hole the lens covers were full of condensation. He resealed all the clearance lights. Next he removed the rear tail light/turn signal covers and found water in the cut outs where they mount on the rear cap. It was soaking wet under the cover. The light bulb holder was rusted so bad I had to replace it. After I let the inside cutout area dry several days I painted the raw wood with a good marine paint and resealed the lens covers on both sides. The Tech also found the stock screws were not stainless and were badly rusted. I have since resealed all outside light len seals and replaced the stock screws with stainless screws.
One failure after the warranty period was the outdated dash radio. The touch screen failed and there was no way to operate it. I replaced it with a Boss radio with navigation and camera input. Using a three way switch I can use all three outside cameras. I really only use the one for backing and don't need a camera to show me what I can see in the side view mirrors. The poorly located radio screen makes it impossible to safely view the screen any way. Bottom line all repairs are done. I drove the ALCAN last summer, a 15,000 mile 55 day round trip with zero problems. Only other change I've made is installation of a Safe-Steer and upgraded the stock tires to Toyo 245/70 R 19.5s for a much improved ride. More side wall ply and better tread design for a much quieter ride. We can talk without shouting going 70 on the freeway. I really do like my much improved ACE 27.1 even with all the minor repairs. I am a Retired Army CW4 Warrant Officer and loving the RV life style.
To check the mirror gasket , do I pop the 4 chrome caps off to expose the screws that attach it to to coach? I have isolated my leak to either the mirror or the cap trim. The gasket beneath the drivers side ( the leaking side) looks different than under the passenger side.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Does Eternabond tape work better than plain old dicor? Or do you use dicor along the edges of the tape?
For a seam application as described above it did for me. I originally repaired the seam with Dicor but it cracked and started leaking in a different place in a couple of months. It has now been over a year since I put the Eternabond on and it continues to work. No need to Dicor the edges.

I know people that have Eternabonded every seam on their RV roof and never worried about the semi-annual Dicor roof inspection again.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #28

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Hello,
I have read plenty on a problem like this but none seem to hit my problem.
I noticed some water coming in from the drivers side window..about 6" forward from the "split" in the window. We caulked around the window with 2 applications so don't think it's coming from the window frame outside. However, in a 5" rain day down here yesterday, found more leaking.
We covered the leveler control pad with plastic to keep it from getting into there and put towels around before the storm...they were damp the next morning.
The only place that we haven't worked at is the upper cab and there is that "void" that many ACE and Vegas owners know about above the window. Thing is, can't figure how water is getting into the roof area...I was up there and see nothing that looks like a separation. It appears to be running down the side to the window...still not sure how it's getting through the recently applied caulk but it is. Seems like it almost needs a "spouting" sticking out from that void above to run the water off instead of letting it come right down the side of the coach.
I think the worst thing is to park and store on the level. When our coach was stored before, it had the nose up a few degrees and never saw this since I think it was running backwards instead of just laying up there and running off all around since it's level now. Quick and dirty fix I guess is to park so the nose is up again but that doesn't seem to be the way to run a railroad.
I'd welcome any suggestions.
GB
Check each marker light on front of cab. Mine weren’t sealed. Water came in by drivers armrest. Do you have a sat radio antenna on roof? Is it sEased or just magnetically stuck on?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #29

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Check each marker light on front of cab. Mine weren’t sealed. Water came in by drivers armrest. Do you have a sat radio antenna on roof? Is it sEased or just magnetically stuck on?
Our cap lights seemed ok...gaskets looked good and as I recall, I rechaulked the antenna.....I solved it though....we traded. LOL