Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
2017 ACE Driver's side window leak

Hello,
I have read plenty on a problem like this but none seem to hit my problem.
I noticed some water coming in from the drivers side window..about 6" forward from the "split" in the window. We caulked around the window with 2 applications so don't think it's coming from the window frame outside. However, in a 5" rain day down here yesterday, found more leaking.
We covered the leveler control pad with plastic to keep it from getting into there and put towels around before the storm...they were damp the next morning.
The only place that we haven't worked at is the upper cab and there is that "void" that many ACE and Vegas owners know about above the window. Thing is, can't figure how water is getting into the roof area...I was up there and see nothing that looks like a separation. It appears to be running down the side to the window...still not sure how it's getting through the recently applied caulk but it is. Seems like it almost needs a "spouting" sticking out from that void above to run the water off instead of letting it come right down the side of the coach.
I think the worst thing is to park and store on the level. When our coach was stored before, it had the nose up a few degrees and never saw this since I think it was running backwards instead of just laying up there and running off all around since it's level now. Quick and dirty fix I guess is to park so the nose is up again but that doesn't seem to be the way to run a railroad.
I'd welcome any suggestions.
GB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181215_110432.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	14599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181215_110447.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	14600  

Old 12-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
How about where the front cap meets the roof? My 2014 30.1 has about 8-12 inches of sealant added by the previous owner along that seam on both sides. Don't need much of a hole to create a problem.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There is also a plastic strip than runs around the coach where the top meets the sides. It covers the screw heads. It is stuck on with adhesive. Water running off the front just behind the cap seam would find it way into this beauty strip and run about a foot before finding a place to come into the coach. The water ended up on the jack controller and and tripped tipped the chassis circuit breaker. Sealing the front end of the beauty strip solved the leak problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
I plan on putting eternabond tape on the spots where the front and rear cap’s meet the roof. I did this on our 5th wheel and 4 years after I did it I took it in and had them do a pressure leak test and the only recaulking needed was around the scare lights and the ladder.

I think eterna bond makes the tape in colors so it will look okay running it down the sides a little ways.

Please keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschnit View Post
How about where the front cap meets the roof? My 2014 30.1 has about 8-12 inches of sealant added by the previous owner along that seam on both sides. Don't need much of a hole to create a problem.
I've looked and really don't see a thing that seems to be a weak seam. Will probably add some caulk there anyway to be safe. Love the way Thor gives a 90 day warranty on this sort of thing.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There is also a plastic strip than runs around the coach where the top meets the sides. It covers the screw heads. It is stuck on with adhesive. Water running off the front just behind the cap seam would find it way into this beauty strip and run about a foot before finding a place to come into the coach. The water ended up on the jack controller and and tripped tipped the chassis circuit breaker. Sealing the front end of the beauty strip solved the leak problem.
Good suggestion. Thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
I plan on putting eternabond tape on the spots where the front and rear cap’s meet the roof. I did this on our 5th wheel and 4 years after I did it I took it in and had them do a pressure leak test and the only recaulking needed was around the scare lights and the ladder.

I think eterna bond makes the tape in colors so it will look okay running it down the sides a little ways.

Please keep us posted.
Thanks for that. I guess this is something carried by RV or Lowes distributors? I found it on Amazon too. This will be a process...trying this and checking so when I have a definite answer, I'll post it for sure. COming into the dry season here so might have to use the hose to test the different fixes.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

THOR #9033
The coach goes to CW on the 26th concerning a leak around the windshield after it was replaced due to a stone crack. There are dros coming from directly above the driver's console onto the dash. It also occurred to me that the side, what I called window leaks, which I don't think is the window at all, started just after the windshield was installed. Possible that water is coming in around the wiindow behind the sun visor and running back to an area over the auto-levelers. One may have caused the other. They will do a pressure test on the windshield to find hte leak and hopefully, that might....might take care of the side leak over the auto level controls.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #9

THOR #13168
Good luck Golfbum! Hopefully they can fix it quick and easy.

Hopefully with that deluge of rain Florida got last week nothing got damaged in your coach!
TrailHawk toad
Bucket List Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #10

THOR #9033
Thanks...we're hoping the same so we can get on the road again in Jan without worrying about leaks. Yes....we had 5" one day and 3" a few days later.....and this is the "dry" season here.....so they say.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #11

THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Thanks...we're hoping the same so we can get on the road again in Jan without worrying about leaks. Yes....we had 5" one day and 3" a few days later.....and this is the "dry" season here.....so they say.
I hear you! I hope it gets it out of its system by the 6th of January when our snowbird season starts down there. LOL Come on sunshine,!🌞
TrailHawk toad
Old 12-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #12

THOR #9033
Good luck...it's been a very strange year......summer started off wet then went to bone dry...didn't have an inch of rain in 1 1/2 months...then rain again and cold...for down here. We had more days struggling to get to 60 than we ever had. Where do you end up down here?
Old 12-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #13

THOR #13168
Quote:
Good luck...it's been a very strange year......summer started off wet then went to bone dry...didn't have an inch of rain in 1 1/2 months...then rain again and cold...for down here. We had more days struggling to get to 60 than we ever had. Where do you end up down here?
We move around quite a bit. This year we’re starting out around Kissimmee then down to Punta Gorda until the end of February then back up to the Orlando and Tampa areas. We’re stopping by Savannah GA for a few days on the way home in early April.

Keep us posted on your repair!
TrailHawk toad
Old 12-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #14

THOR #9033
SOunds great. We're looking at a trip now for the Gulf below Tampa. We've stayed at Tarpon Springs which we enjoyed...and now and then hit Lazy Days near Tampa....cheap, vouchers for breakfast and lunch and get to spend some time looking at the acres and acres of RVs
Old 12-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #15

THOR #13168
Quote:
SOunds great. We're looking at a trip now for the Gulf below Tampa. We've stayed at Tarpon Springs which we enjoyed...and now and then hit Lazy Days near Tampa....cheap, vouchers for breakfast and lunch and get to spend some time looking at the acres and acres of RVs
I sent you PM Golfbum.
TrailHawk toad
Old 12-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #16

THOR #9033
i don't think the PM got to me. There's only 1 in the inbox and that's from some time ago...feel free to just email me.....
golfbum18@gmail.com

HOpe you had a good Christmas and getting ready for some miles on the road.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #17

State: Alabama
THOR #13996
Smile 2015 ACE Passenger's side window leak

I just saw this post on ACE Driver's side window leak. My 2015 had a similar water leak making the carpet wet on the floor in the front passenger side corner where the firewall meets the side wall inside the cabin. It leaked every time we drove in the rain. I took it in to Camping World (CW) under warranty. It was diagnosed as a window leak. In and out of CW many time during the first year for water leak and other issues. Some missing parts like a ladder for the front bunk, plywood cover under the couch bed, fresh water tank not secured in place, awning lighting not working, awning electric motor bad, water pump failure, outside TV inop just to name a few. The water leak problem was the biggest concern.
During the last month of my warranty period I called Thor got permission to call in an independent mobile RV repair tech. The Tech spent about 30 minutes on inspection and troubleshooting the water leak. After calling and coordinating with Thor for permission to make warranty repairs he found the following: The water leak was from an improperly sealed side view mirror. The mirror didn't have a gasket to seal it between the mirror base and side wall. When we drove in the rain the wind sail load on the mirror flexed it against the side wall letting water seep behind the mirror mounting arm. When the mirror was removed I saw that no type of gasket was present. The water would pool and run into the hole used for the wire connection and down the wall to wet the carpet. Fairly easy fix. Gasket sealer was applied to both mirror bases and wiring holes. That was three years ago and no problem with leaking. The tech found these other problems. The upper clearance light gaskets were improperly seated and water seeping into the covers and leaking into the roof through the electrical wire hole the lens covers were full of condensation. He resealed all the clearance lights. Next he removed the rear tail light/turn signal covers and found water in the cut outs where they mount on the rear cap. It was soaking wet under the cover. The light bulb holder was rusted so bad I had to replace it. After I let the inside cutout area dry several days I painted the raw wood with a good marine paint and resealed the lens covers on both sides. The Tech also found the stock screws were not stainless and were badly rusted. I have since resealed all outside light len seals and replaced the stock screws with stainless screws.
One failure after the warranty period was the outdated dash radio. The touch screen failed and there was no way to operate it. I replaced it with a Boss radio with navigation and camera input. Using a three way switch I can use all three outside cameras. I really only use the one for backing and don't need a camera to show me what I can see in the side view mirrors. The poorly located radio screen makes it impossible to safely view the screen any way. Bottom line all repairs are done. I drove the ALCAN last summer, a 15,000 mile 55 day round trip with zero problems. Only other change I've made is installation of a Safe-Steer and upgraded the stock tires to Toyo 245/70 R 19.5s for a much improved ride. More side wall ply and better tread design for a much quieter ride. We can talk without shouting going 70 on the freeway. I really do like my much improved ACE 27.1 even with all the minor repairs. I am a Retired Army CW4 Warrant Officer and loving the RV life style.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:19 AM   #18

THOR #13168
Wow johnniecrow! Sounds like you’ve been busy. Thanks for the information about the leaking mirror. Some dealers have a system to pressurize the coach to find leaks. I’m not sure if this test would show a leak around the mirrors.

Sounds like you had a great trip up to Alaska. That trip is on my bucket list

Thank you for your service!

Bill and Penny
TrailHawk toad
Old 05-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #19

State: Oregon
THOR #8222
I have a 2014 Thor Ace 27.1.
I had a slow drip on my drivers side dash. It was coming from the area of the driver side upper windsheild corner. It filled a half a cup in month of heavy rain here in Oregon.

I used flowing silicon winsheild repair on the outside driver side upper windshield molding where it appeared to be seperated very slightly from fiberglass.

I calked the molding with RV non flowing rv calk on the driver side front to sides molding where it was slightly seperated.

I calked the upper drivers side upper amber clearance light as it appeared to need it.

The side mirror were loose and I tightened the screws holding them to frame and calked around them.

The upper corner between the front to side molding was seperated 3/4 inch and I calked it closed.

I let all the calking dry for 40 hours then I ran water hose sprayer over that upper roof corner that corner 5 minutes down on to the windshield and drivers side. No water dripped inside. However near the end of the day I noticed there was a little water coming out of the bottom of the winsheild molding on drivers side. Water had made its way down the windsheild into the bottom molding and very slowly leaked out the bottom of the molding. I lifted the wet area under the bottom of the molding ever so slightly and the water came right out. The molding was loose for about a foot at least. With my finger the molding came right out sightly and when I pushed it popped back into place.

The sealant was not sealing on the bottom of the windsheild on drivers side. I don’t know if you can purchase some windsheild sealant and fill it in under the molding and pop ii back in place. Or maybe I should call windsheild repair company to look at it and maybe reseal the whole windsheild?

I have had to replace the hydraulic leveling system., the step motor, and the rubber mats on the interior steps came apart.

The front end was 25/32 out when checked and adjusted to 1/32 in. Added a shim. Added new Michelin front tires at only 10k miles. Added Safety/plus and CHF on both sway bars and the shaking stopped and the stearing was much improved to where I can drive down freeway with one hand and not have to use 2 hands to constantly keep it in the lane. Passing trucks is improved from swaying too.

After I cleaned roof I notice the other clearance front roof amber lights appear to not be sealed so they will need to be calked. Also I noticed the top rear corner where back, sides and roof come together had silicon looking clear calking that appear to need attention also. Generally the upper calking was pretty good but I found few places whete it looks like more calking is needed.

The cabinet side upper doors front and back hydraulic holders came disattached where screws stripped from wood. Replaced with larger screws.

This Ace 27.1 MH seems to need constant attention, just when you fix one thing something else is needed to be fixed.

Not like buying a car where the quality is much better.

The Radio/camera screen went out but when I sent video to
Manufacturer showing 12v was getting to it, the manufactured replaced it with a rebuilt one which worked when I plugged it in. 212T model. That was after one yr warranty.

Anyone else have this windsheild molding seperation problem? Never had that happen on my cars going back over 50 years.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #18957
Did you happen to solve the roof leak? Your post describes exactly my problem. I have a 2011 THOR ACE 29.1 and just discovered this. I am going to dive in myself and see if I can solve the issue however a little experience will help plenty.

N