Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 01:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
2017 Axis dash air problem

Our 2017 Axis, currently with about 5500 miles, we bought new last year is having a problem with the dash A/C system. Wile driving with the A/C on, it will suddenly start blowing hot air. The temp control knob is turned all the way on cool and the compressor switch is on. Without anyone touching any of the controls, it will blow hot for 20 to 30 min, then start cooling down and operating normally for 15 to 20 min, then back to hot air again. Coming back from a Thor owners rally in Brooksville, FL a couple of weeks ago, the A/C system cooled normally for the entire 2 hour trip home. No amount of adjusting the temp knob seems to have any effect in shutting off the hot air. Axis is still under full factory warranty but I'm not sure if this is a Ford problem or a Thor problem. Anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Ford has a letter out that any dealership should be able to pull up. List the very few items covered.

Could this be high coolant temperature cutting out the compressor? That usually only shows up with slow speeds, but who knows.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

THOR #4802
Engine temp gauge is always normal so don’t think it’s caused by overheating. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #11603
A friend with a 2014 axis had the same problem. It was some sort of bad valve, expansion valve I think. Also, they went thru the passenger side dash and the related box there had dropped down into the engine compartment. Sorry I cant remember the details.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

THOR #4802
Got call from Thor Customer Care today, in answer to this post. They advised to take our Axis to Thor dealership. He said about 90% of dash A/C system is built by Thor, so its likely their problem. He said about only thing in A/C system that’s Ford’s responsibility is the compressor & condenser. So, will be taking it to LaMesa RV in Sanford next week. I really appreciate Thor Cc monitoring this forum and reaching out to me. Thanks Thor CC!
A note on LaMesa RV. After our nightmarish experiences with the crooks at America Choice RV in Ocala, FL, where we bought our Axis, it’s nice to find a professional operation like LaMasa. Wish we’d bought from them in the first place.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #6

THOR #1249
I second that on America Choice RV in Ocala. Never did business with them due to some of the conversations I had with them.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #7

THOR #4802
A very wise move on your part, mcr1010. Avoid that den of liars and thieves like you would a rattlesnake.