Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #16848
Spongy floor

Floor is becoming spongy after the step up at rear of coach. What is under the floor in that area. Thor Chateau 31Y.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:18 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Likely plywood. I have a Chateau 24F with a step up to the bed area in the rear. Does it smell musty? Maybe a water leak from the shower? Also make sure your outside storage compartments are tightly closed and locked.

By "spongy" do you mean soft? If you press on it with your hand does it give? Note there is a thread/discussion on here regarding the vinyl floor covering being wavy and having bubbles. If that's what yours is like, it's by design. Thor does not glue the vinyl supposedly to allow for expansion/contraction to prevent cracking.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:34 AM   #3

THOR #16848
Floor

It's not the linoleum, is it plywood underneath it? No leak it seems and nothing coming out underneath the coach. No musky smell either. It's when you step on it in a few areas, seems like trusses in spots and the other spots flex down under weight. Guess might have to tear up linoleum and replace the plywood.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:00 AM   #4

THOR #16721
How old is your rig? Are you the original owner?
Old 07-16-2021, 04:12 AM   #5

THOR #16848
2018 bought it new, sat for 1st 9 months, used a few times, then retired and have been living in it for 2 years now.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:33 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #15567
Spongy Floor

I have the same problem on my 2016 Palazzo 36.1. Reluctant to pull up the flooring until I know what to do about the problem. Plywood has probably decayed, possibly by something happened with original owner. No indication of a leak since 2019 when I bought it. Have not been able to find much guidance. Any input is appreciated! Thanks, Steve
Old 03-23-2022, 10:48 PM   #7

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I just had to rip up a section of my 24F floor this past weekend. The floor started to bubble up - big bubble - from the plywood delaminating due to water leak. One of the cheap plastic pex fittings cracked and had a small drip that caused the buckle.

I found a grid of aluminum tubular framing with the voids filled with heavy duty foam. The plywood was 3/8” and extremely lightweight. Given that, I think the plywood would flex quite a bit over time and compress the foam and cause a soft spot. IMHO.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	36590. BTW, the darker framing is steel and my water pipes from the slide run inside a channel within the framing.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:42 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcar View Post
I have the same problem on my 2016 Palazzo 36.1. Reluctant to pull up the flooring until I know what to do about the problem. Plywood has probably decayed, possibly by something happened with original owner. No indication of a leak since 2019 when I bought it. Have not been able to find much guidance. Any input is appreciated! Thanks, Steve
In my experience repairing RV walls and floors you won't know what you're getting into until you get into it. You gotta decide if you want to save the current floor covering or pre-buy replacement covering. Then you gotta start peeling back layers to see how deep the repair needs to go. I would also have a good piece of at least 5/8" plywood and plenty of epoxy in standby. of course an assortment of screws and other wood will help.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #9

THOR #15567
Spongy Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I just had to rip up a section of my 24F floor this past weekend. The floor started to bubble up - big bubble - from the plywood delaminating due to water leak. One of the cheap plastic pex fittings cracked and had a small drip that caused the buckle.

I found a grid of aluminum tubular framing with the voids filled with heavy duty foam. The plywood was 3/8” and extremely lightweight. Given that, I think the plywood would flex quite a bit over time and compress the foam and cause a soft spot. IMHO.Attachment 36590. BTW, the darker framing is steel and my water pipes from the slide run inside a channel within the framing.
How did you get the plywood separated from the styrofoam?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #10

THOR #15567
Spongy Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
In my experience repairing RV walls and floors you won't know what you're getting into until you get into it. You gotta decide if you want to save the current floor covering or pre-buy replacement covering. Then you gotta start peeling back layers to see how deep the repair needs to go. I would also have a good piece of at least 5/8" plywood and plenty of epoxy in standby. of course an assortment of screws and other wood will help.
I have heard of using a "marine" plywood to replace the 3/8" original material. Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have heard of using a "marine" plywood to replace the 3/8" original material. Thoughts?
Marine plywood only helps if it gets wet again.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #12

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:

I found a grid of aluminum tubular framing with the voids filled with heavy duty foam. The plywood was 3/8” and extremely lightweight. Given that, I think the plywood would flex quite a bit over time and compress the foam and cause a soft spot. IMHO.Attachment 36590. BTW, the darker framing is steel and my water pipes from the slide run inside a channel within the framing.
I knew the roof's were made like that, but I had no idea the floors were as well. That seems crazy, of course that light of plywood will flex over time! Here's a picture of my roof that was just repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220224_094231.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	36599  
Old 03-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

THOR #9511
Quote:
How did you get the plywood separated from the styrofoam?

I used a combination of a painters 5 in 1 tool and an oscillating multi tool. It is time consuming.

My bad - my plywood is actually 7/16 not 3/8.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:39 PM   #14

THOR #15567
Spongy Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Marine plywood only helps if it gets wet again.
Thank You!
Old 03-31-2022, 03:55 PM   #15

THOR #15567
Spongy Floor

Quote:

That is good information. Thank You!
Old 04-01-2022, 02:26 AM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:

I also have a 24F (2020). Is that floor section under your fridge area? I've always wondered how they ran the plumbing to and from the hot water heater...
Old 04-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #17

THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I also have a 24F (2020). Is that floor section under your fridge area? I've always wondered how they ran the plumbing to and from the hot water heater...

It is under the stove on the lower part of the floor. A metal chase that runs left to right across the coach embedded in the floor.