Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 03:01 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Freightliner dealer has a staffing problem.

Took my rig to the Freightliner dealer on Friday to have the MIL and ABS lights diagnosed. There is also a recall on my rig to have inner dual valve stem stabilizers installed. I am also having a PM service performed.

The Mil is the result of a bad DEF Heater cable.

The ABS is the result of a bad right rear wheel speed sensor.

The estimated completion time is one week. Parts are in stock but due to them being 5 General Techs short it will be one week before the rig gets into the shop.

I talked to Freightliner Custom Chassis Customer Service today and they said that the average turn around time for VA, NC, and SC is currently averaging 10 days.

Although they are nowhere as bad as RV dealers the chassis service centers have staffing problems as well.

FWIW the FL dealer has six Diesel Pushers on the lot broke. 2 Newmar Ventana, a Tiffin Allegro Bus, a Monaco, and a Forest River Charleston.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This is the new world we live in....

Hell.... back in January I called to have a simple white aluminum bottom barrier installed around my lanai to keep the dirt and rain coming through the screen when it rains. They told me 4 weeks to come out to give me the estimate and then 10 - 12 weeks to get it done after signing the contract and providing a 50% deposit. I gave them a check back in mid-February and still haven't heard an estimated date.

It's a miracle they have the parts in stock so be thankful its only a week..... otherwise your coach might be sitting there for months!
Old 03-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Our local Oasis dealer is also short techs. About two weeks out for normal "day" service and longer if it is multiple days.

They have a rash of the DEF head issues on commercial trucks and Coach's which is aggravating the labor/tech issue
Old 03-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Our local Oasis dealer is also short techs. About two weeks out for normal "day" service and longer if it is multiple days.

They have a rash of the DEF head issues on commercial trucks and Coach's which is aggravating the labor/tech issue
My FL dealer said they have a heck of a back order problem on DEF Headers.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:07 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
The def heater line takes about 20 min to replace, as for the abs sensor unless they actually tested that sensor and it failed or are they going off the fault data, the sensors on these rarely go bad but it’s more likely a wiring issue 90% of the time as they use abs extension cables and multiple connectors running along the frame rail .
Old 03-30-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
The def heater line takes about 20 min to replace, as for the abs sensor unless they actually tested that sensor and it failed or are they going off the fault data, the sensors on these rarely go bad but it’s more likely a wiring issue 90% of the time as they use abs extension cables and multiple connectors running along the frame rail .
My FL dealer, unlike the RV dealer is not some fly by night shade tree operation.

DEF Heater harness, not line, and yes they verified the speed sensor is in fact bad.

There are a number of commercial truckers that were there before me so I will take my number and wait my turn. I don’t expect special treatment just because I roll in with an RV.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:06 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Thanks EPA for inflated prices and lack of reliability.

I remember a time that diesel engines would run forever (provided Diesel was available) because it was all mechanic so it would ran even when there was no electricity in the vehicle...
You could have zero electricity and so long you didn't turn the engine off, it would run...
Now, besides all the electric/electronic glitches, you can be stranded on the road with a perfect engine if the computer tell you you can't drive your property because of DEF...
Old 03-30-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post

I remember a time that diesel engines would run forever (provided Diesel was available) because it was all mechanic so it would ran even when there was no electricity in the vehicle...
You could have zero electricity and so long you didn't turn the engine off, it would run...
Now, besides all the electric/electronic glitches, you can be stranded on the road with a perfect engine if the computer tell you you can't drive your property because of DEF...
Put blame where blame is due and that belongs with the manufacturers and not the EPA. Yes EPA set the standard for tailpipe emissions. The EPA does not tell the manufacturers how to meet those standards. The manufacturers designed these systems that are repeatedly failing.

The EPA has allowed exceptions for emergency vehicles and has now allowed Cummins to reprogram some vehicles with DEF Header issues and the headers are seriously back ordered. This exception is based on serial number.

Yes, thanks EPA for granting the exception to standards so RV and more importantly truckers can remain rolling.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Put blame where blame is due and that belongs with the manufacturers and not the EPA. Yes EPA set the standard for tailpipe emissions. The EPA does not tell the manufacturers how to meet those standards. The manufacturers designed these systems that are repeating failing.

The EPA has allowed exceptions for emergency vehicles and has now allowed Cummins to reprogram some vehicles with DEF Header issues and the headers are seriously back ordered. This exception is based on serial number.

Yes, thanks EPA for granting the exception to standards so RV and more importantly truckers can remain rolling.
The EPA and agencies like it are far from perfect. But I appreciate that someone is at least trying to prevent certain entities from pooping in everyone else's nest.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:28 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut.....

Computer is part of engine, so not so perfect if it won’t run.

Your other comment reminded me of an oddball GM diesel engine we had where I worked as a teenager that had no electrical system at all. None. It didn’t even have a battery to start it — had to start using people power. What a pain.

It would run as long as it had fuel, and only low oil pressure or overheating would stop it (and both of these safety features were hydraulic/mechanical in that they would cut fuel off. If I recall correctly, to start it the low-oil pressure shutdown had to be manually overridden.

Yes, engines were much simpler then, but at times we could see black exhaust clouds from over a mile away; which could be caused by many things not working correctly.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:23 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Since we digressed to the Good Old Days, some of my first trucks were equipped with air starters and the diesel electric solenoid had a bypass screw that you used if you lost a alternator belt and needed to stay on the road. Worked great in the daylight.

With the air starters we were able to use one smaller battery

The "Nader" valve is what changed the engines to avoid the black bellowing smoke

Our early diesel tractors started on gasoline and then you switched to "Fuel"

Cat for years had the pony starter engines and 100% mechanical

As stated earlier if you design a system and fail to improve and upgrade it then you should be relieved from your job
Old 03-31-2022, 12:12 AM   #12

THOR #12726
Good deal sounds like you went to a well trained fl dealer, but I can tell you they hate working on rv’s or at least the one I worked in did, retired Cummins and Detroit tech and for the last 5 yrs that’s all I did was “ after treatment “
Old 03-31-2022, 12:59 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Good deal sounds like you went to a well trained fl dealer, but I can tell you they hate working on rv’s or at least the one I worked in did, retired Cummins and Detroit tech and for the last 5 yrs that’s all I did was “ after treatment “
Yes they hate RVs when they are diesel pushers and my dealer tacks on 25.00 per hour to the labor rate for DPs. My rig is a Super C on a S2RV chassis which to them is a 40 foot box van. I do not pay the RV labor surcharge.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:28 AM   #14

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Took my rig to the Freightliner dealer on Friday to have the MIL and ABS lights diagnosed. There is also a recall on my rig to have inner dual valve stem stabilizers installed. I am also having a PM service performed.

The Mil is the result of a bad DEF Heater cable.

The ABS is the result of a bad right rear wheel speed sensor.

The estimated completion time is one week. Parts are in stock but due to them being 5 General Techs short it will be one week before the rig gets into the shop.

I talked to Freightliner Custom Chassis Customer Service today and they said that the average turn around time for VA, NC, and SC is currently averaging 10 days.

Although they are nowhere as bad as RV dealers the chassis service centers have staffing problems as well.

FWIW the FL dealer has six Diesel Pushers on the lot broke. 2 Newmar Ventana, a Tiffin Allegro Bus, a Monaco, and a Forest River Charleston.
I had the inner wheel issue addressed in March of 2021. Got another recall to actually remove the stabilizer and just put an alligator cap on inner wheel.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:07 PM   #15

THOR #12726
I think we charged 85 an hour for trucks and 110/ hr for Rv,
Old 04-03-2022, 02:29 AM   #16

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
Quote:

First of all, you don't even own a diesel coach so you probably know very little about modern diesel engines. They are designed to run clean and are much more fuel efficient then their ancient all mechanical counterparts. Of course, they are complicated machines so things can go wrong.

I was a certified diesel mechanic all my working life until I retired in 2019 and like to think that I know a thing or two about the technology.

Your signature says it all.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:49 AM   #17

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
First of all, you don't even own a diesel coach so you probably know very little about modern diesel engines. They are designed to run clean and are much more fuel efficient then their ancient all mechanical counterparts. Of course, they are complicated machines so things can go wrong.

I was a certified diesel mechanic all my working life until I retired in 2019 and like to think that I know a thing or two about the technology.

Your signature says it all.
Look at the EU. THe vast majority of the cars run on diesel over there.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
Old 04-03-2022, 02:59 AM   #18

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Look at the EU. THe vast majority of the cars run on diesel over there.
I know, I was born in Germany and lived and worked as a mechanic there until 1985 when I moved to the US. Diesel powered vehicles are much more popular in Europe and diesel fuel is generally cheaper than gasoline. My brother has Kia Sorento Turbo Diesel and his wife has an all-electric small Kia SUV.

I tow our travel trailer with a 2020 Ram 2500 Cummins. Unmolested, runs clean, has twice the power my 2000 Ram Cummins had and gets way better MPGs than the 2000 truck. Look to as if the technology is good for something.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:20 AM   #19

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
First of all, you don't even own a diesel coach so you probably know very little about modern diesel engines.....

I have only 25 years of experience on diesel engines.... so yes, I probably don't know what I'm talking....
Old 04-03-2022, 03:44 AM   #20

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
....Yes, engines were much simpler then, but at times we could see black exhaust clouds from over a mile away; which could be caused by many things not working correctly.
Here is a misconception:
EPA regulations didn't help to improve diesel engines, the opposite, they hindered and made the consumer pay more for less.

As evidence of this we have:
1 - Consumers always like more power and less fuel consumption but that needed to be balanced with cost. So the power density would increase and fuel consumption would decrease along the time even if EPA didn't exist but that, in a logical, economical way.
2 - Today, if you "delete" a Diesel engine, it will have more power, it will consume less fuel, it will be more reliable and probably last longer and it will not have black smoke (provided you don't mess with the original tables in the computer). That means that the consumer is paying more(to pay for the absurd lab in the exhaust) to have less (power, etc).

The advancements in many manufacturing process from piston and piston rings to high pressure fuel pumps and everything in between would happen regardless of EPA BUT because of EPA many developments in diesel engines (that the consumer would love and the companies would do because is more profitable) ARE NOT being worked on because of this lie that ICE will die....

A deleted Diesel today already produce insignificant amount of NOx but they are pursuing CO2 reduction...
Reduce food for plants! (no wonder some are buying farms...)

There is a plethora of technologies that the public are being kept away from.

Example of technology being hindered?
Opposed Piston Technology.
What do you think if your diesel engine can deliver 20% better fuel economy with LESS parts (meaning potentially more reliable and cheaper )???
A F150 with this kind of engine did 45mpg (F150!!!) on highway.

Imagine a 40ft diesel pusher that would do 20mpg on highway.....
Yes, THAT technology (and many others) already exist, it is already proven BUT implementation is being stalled because the government is trying to mandate that the product be obsoleted...
so nobody will be investing to bring it to you and me...

Lets instead invest trillions to make things more expensive, complicated and less reliable...
Closed Thread