Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Rhode Island
THOR #15402
Smile 2017 Hurricane 34J External Sensor Error

I know this one comes up but I figured I would share for anyone who has a similar issue (although the specific cause seems to change).

I went to put my leveling jacks down last week at our campsite and the unit started flashing "external sensor error"...all I could do was hit enter and quickly shut off the system to turn off the beeping. I checked all the connections and found the rear sensor which also looked fine (no obvious water or physical damage).

I was about to order a new sensor out of frustration but climbed under the rig one last time to trace all the harnesses and check for issues. The three wire harness that runs to the back sensor had either come loose or was never secured in the first place. It had dropped right on top of the drive shaft and that had managed to wear through the case and one of the three wires. A quick splice and resecuring of the harness and I am back in action.

So I guess the moral of this one is always check for broken connections before buying replacement sensors. Or perhaps the lessons is look twice, splice once....or look both ways before crossing..... I don't know.

That is all.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
External Sensor Error

I know this is an old post, but I was experiencing the error, and wanted to add my experience of correcting it to maybe help somebody else.

The troubleshooting guide says it is a bad sensor, or a shorted out connection.

After my frustrations trying to solve the error: External Sensor...Push Enter to Clear... then it instantly repeating, ugh!

I replaced the sensor that was only 4 or 5 months old as it was. This time it did not correct the error message.
I tried unplugging and re-plugging it back together, even pushing the wires into the back side on the plug halves. That worked for only one time, then the next time I tried the level system, it re-appeared to my dismay. & I thought I figured it out.

I found this thread and dug a little deeper. Only to find my previous tucking and tying up loose hanging wire harness' still good and no rubbing, fraying, or other signs of shorting out. All was still good.

Still dealing with this issue, I decided to try to reset by holding the "Enter-Retract-Auto level" buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds.
Voilah! This corrected my constantly re-appearing error, at least for now.
I have been checking this periodically at home between trips (last one in September). We are getting ready for the entire last week of October away once more.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do that I may not have tried?
TIA
Hopefully I got it now. Oh, and BTW, I tried the release of the parking brake, that automatically retracted all jacks. This tells me that its sensor is working in the system. Dummy me getting the the allen wrench and drill motor to retract them all earlier this year, had I known to just let the parking break off.

*edit: I always level the rig in the manual mode, that has always worked best for us.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Well, it seems my last try to fix this error coming back only worked for that one day.

So my next step is to check the continuity of the wiring from main control module to the external sensor. Even though, I cannot physically see where it is rubbing against something, and shorted out, it is one thing I haven't ruled out.

Now that our camping season is over for the year, (the last trip without the use of the leveling system, then at 3 more other problems, or things needing fixed happening), I will hopefully get some time to check it all out and get her fixed. I'll let you all know what I find.

Meanwhile I will be changing a broken door latch/lock, addressing the awning issue, and taking care of other life's interruptions, dealing with the Holidays a coming, and praying for decent weather, lol.

Oh-h-h, the RV life!
Got to love it!
Old 04-03-2022, 06:03 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #16738
Hi Rusty - I'm having the same issue, did you ever find the fix? Can you tell me where to look for the sensor? I'm not sure where to start.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:49 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug0630 View Post
Hi Rusty - I'm having the same issue, did you ever find the fix? Can you tell me where to look for the sensor? I'm not sure where to start.
There are two sensors for the leveling system. The front is a flat rectangular box (master control) located near the center of the coach at midships above the drive shaft. This controls the left and right level sensors. There is a second small level box locate about 5 ft behind the larger box. The two boxes are wired together with the supplied harness. The boxes work together to determine the front and rear level. Both boxes are above the drive shaft near the middle of the coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote