Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #19262
2017 Thor 37RB, front air conditioner won't turn on

I have a 2017 37rb that has two air conditioner units in the main area of the RV. These are controlled using the multiplex hard button / touchscreen unit. Both A/C units have worked fine for the past two weeks on shore power and now the front unit won't turn on. I checked the "front AC" breaker near the bed and all fuses and they're fine. I am currently running off 50a shore power. Both units worked this morning on shore power, then I moved to a new RV site. Mid way, I fired up the Onan generator and turned on both units, this shut down the Onan and flipped the 30a breaker that is on the gen. I've had issues with running both units off the gen and having it flip the on-gen 30a breaker. However never any issues on shore power. That said, now the front one won't work. Before when on gen power with the gen breaker tripped, you could still hear the clicks of the solenoids in the front A/C unit. Now it wont do anything, no clicks, no fan, no A/C. I have power everywhere else. Any ideas? For reference, its hot out. Was about 105f today and is currently 90f INSIDE the RV. Ugh!

Old 06-20-2020, 01:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What size is your generator? Should be a 5500 with 2 A/Cs in the coach - 50 amp I assume. If so, there should be two breakers on the generator.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:07 AM   #3

THOR #19262
Its a 5500 and has two 30a breakers on it. Only the top breaker has been tripped by the AC units. But currently we're on shore power and the front AC won't turn on.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:15 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
2017 Thor 37RB, front air conditioner won't turn on

So just verifying.... you have the FireFly panel?

Will the fan for that A/C unit manually if you try?

Reason I am asking if you have the FireFly panel is I just went through a bunch of A/C control issues with my two A/C units. It was an issue with the FireFly system and the dealer replaced the main board and the touch panel.

Here is something to try to eliminate it being a multiplex control issue. If you are on shore power, turn off the breaker to your converter. Then put the Use / Store switch into the Store position to kill the 12v power to the coach. This will reboot the system. Then put the Use / Store switch back to Use and turn on the breaker to your converter. Then try the A/C unit.

When I had control issues with the A/C happen intermittent, rebooting the system fixed it every time.... albeit temporarily until it eventually happened again.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #5

THOR #19262
The panel looks like this:

I've never been able to get just the fan to turn on for either unit. The panel has AC/Furnance/Auto/Off modes and the fan is Auto/Low/High. I typically set the fan to high and when the cabin temp hits what I set on the thermostat, the whole unit turns off and the fan doesn't stay running.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try it now!
Old 06-20-2020, 03:13 AM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65765435dfg View Post
The panel looks like this:

I've never been able to get just the fan to turn on for either unit. The panel has AC/Furnance/Auto/Off modes and the fan is Auto/Low/High. I typically set the fan to high and when the cabin temp hits what I set on the thermostat, the whole unit turns off and the fan doesn't stay running.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try it now!
Yes, that is a Firefly system. I've had a few intermittent climate control issues with mine, too, which have been resolved by power cycling the system as described above.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
There have been some firmware upgrades for the FireFLy systems to correct various problems. Might be worth checking with your dealer to make sure you have the latest version.