Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Arizona
THOR #21386
2017 Thor ACE Overhead bunk issue

Hi Everyone!
I recently purchased a 2017 Thor ACE 30.2 and when lowering the overhead bunk, it’s lowering on the right side only, and appears to be twisting on the left side hitting the driver side shelf. I don’t believe this has a controller like other models , but I did try the sync steps just in case this was the issue with no luck . I’m not sure how to access the motor with it stuck in the up position. I also can’t find any manuals that show how to repair this. Does anyone know a fix ? I can provide pictures if needed. Thank you !

Old 12-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #2

THOR #21386
I found out how to fix this. Unfortunately, After reaching out to Thor, they stated I would have to completely dismantle the bunk to remove the motor if needed. This is far from true... They also stated the bunk motors have a controller, but then later said they don't. In the 2017 ACE model, they have two (actuators), one on each side of the overhead bunk. When removing the bad actuator, I was able to get the bed down all the way down. I have a new one on the way and this should be straight forward installing it. Not sure why Thor support did not know this, and about the access panel to get to the actuator when the bed is stuck in the up position.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Gotta picture of that access panel? We've seen this issue before but you're the first that has come back with some resolution. Would be good to know for people that experience this in the future.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

THOR #21386
Sorry, I don't have a picture, but on my 2017 Thor ACE 30.2, if you remove the panel above the driver side/passenger, the visors are attached to, this is where you can access them. You remove the three button covers which hide three wood screws. Then remove the visors, mine had some metal screws which also held this panel on. Once all removed (11 screws total) the entire panel pulls off easy.. You can then access each actuator. It's a very tight fit but doable. Let me know if I can answer anything else with this.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Overhead bunk motor

The wires connecting to the motor on the driver’s side of my overhead bunk got bound up to the trim when trying to lower it and got pulled out of the coupler. I’ve dismantled all the trim that I can figure out but still can’’t see where the motor is. I have a 2014 Thor Axis 24.1. Maybe mine is in the same place yours was? When you say actuator is that the same as motor? Please and thank you.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:33 AM   #6

THOR #21386
Hi,
I actually found a better access point. If the bed is lowered, there are two panels (one on each side of the upper bed). You remove these screws and you can access the actuator. The actuator is pretty much the same as a motor... it’s a motor that has a pole which extends and retracts on the bunk. I can help you if needed...
Old 01-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #7

THOR #3340
Part of the problem is that it is “stuck” in the almost up position. I did see a YouTube of an RV tech that said if you deactivate the motor at the controller you can move the slide. I’m almost afraid to do that - fearful that I’ll get it down and unable to get it back up so that I can‘t drive.However, I have just about worked up enough courage to try with a some kind of prop that would keep it from falling all the way down. I would appreciate any and all help. My wonderful RV tech is quarantining out of state so I either fix it with help or it doesn’t get fixed I guess.
Are the “panels” you are referring to metal plates at the corner next to the rail? That was going to be my next search. I have an elderly gentleman with an electrical and general RV knowledge who has been trying to brainstorm this with me. He will be able to help me more this week but we both need all the input we can get. Please and thank you.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:18 AM   #8

THOR #21386
My motorhome doesn’t have a controller like the slide does... I watched those videos too and found out that my motorhome works off actuators that aren’t controlled by a controller. Can you send me a private message on here? I’ll need to see some pictures. I wasn’t able to move my bunk down, I had to remove a bolt from the bad actuator side and then I was able to lower the bed all the way..
Old 01-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #9

State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRV View Post
My motorhome doesn’t have a controller like the slide does... I watched those videos too and found out that my motorhome works off actuators that aren’t controlled by a controller. Can you send me a private message on here? I’ll need to see some pictures. I wasn’t able to move my bunk down, I had to remove a bolt from the bad actuator side and then I was able to lower the bed all the way..

Thanks for this info. I have the same model and year as yours. Good to know how to access the bunk motors if I ever need to.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:20 PM   #10

THOR #21386
Thanks. It’s extremely easy to get to if you can move the bed down. There are access panels above the bed on each side. Small screws hold the panel...
Old 01-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #11

THOR #3340
Over head bunk

Another thing that I’ve learned from all this is that you CAN lower the bunk when you unplug the motors from the control module. I was worried about getting it “synced” again but my friend who is helping me said maybe we can just unplug one or the other of the motors as we process through the synchronization. Whew! I’ll be glad when this is done. I’ve learned a lot and that bunk doesn’t scare me anymore. Hah!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #12

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I don’t know if my 2013 ACE 30.1 bunk motor(s) access applies to newer models, but I am attaching two pictures showing the access panel near the ceiling in front of the passenger seat (with the bunk in the full down position.....laying on the bunk). A few small screws allow you to remove the luan access panel(s) on either side (driver or passenger depending on required motor access). We hardly ever use the bunk and I was looking for a way to place a satellite radio antenna inside the fiberglass nosing on the ACE (wires shown in one picture). The second picture shows the motor/actuator for the passenger side bunk operation mechanism. In my coach, the bunk motor controller unit was located high behind the magazine shelving, near the ceiling area behind a luan panel roughly on the passenger seat side. I have never had to access this controller, but I also did not see any easy screw removal luan panel in the area of the controller at that time either. I just thought, let’s hope I never need to get in there. Not sure if these pictures help anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Bed Motor Access.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	28148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Bed Right Side Motor.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	28149  

Old 01-21-2021, 01:43 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Thanks for the pics! Your 2013 looks exactly like my 2016 so this applies to multiple years, probably at least a couple newer than mine.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #14

State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Great pics. Now I know how to get to those.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #15

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad the pics helped someone a bit. That's all the pics I had there. It would be nice to figure out how to easily get to the motor controller mounted behind the upper magazine rack luan panels about even with the passenger chair. When I stuck my head up in that motor access hole and looked back down toward the key/operating switch for the bunk, I could see it. It is always nice to have access to another motor controller just in case a slide controller craps on you.

By the way I abandoned trying to mount the satellite radio antenna in the front fiberglass nose cowl area and found that just using a tin can lid behind an aluminum foil dish would hold the satellite antenna module in place.....foil dish placed on the dash......works surprisingly well.

Sorry for the hijack aside on the OP's inquiry.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:47 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: California
THOR #20255
Part Number of Overhead Actuator

Does anyone have a part number for the overhead bed actuator? My passenger side motor went bad and wanting to find the part. I had heard that the company went out of business. Is there any alternative after market actuators?
Old 01-03-2023, 11:53 PM   #17

THOR #21386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Does anyone have a part number for the overhead bed actuator? My passenger side motor went bad and wanting to find the part. I had heard that the company went out of business. Is there any alternative after market actuators?
Hi, I ordered mine on Amazon, shows out of stock, but maybe this can help you order from another place.

Precision Positioning Devices LC 65 Model 118 Linear Actuator Thor RV P/N 0336395
Old 01-04-2023, 03:12 AM   #18

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I don’t know if my 2013 ACE 30.1 bunk motor(s) access applies to newer models, but I am attaching two pictures showing the access panel near the ceiling in front of the passenger seat (with the bunk in the full down position.....laying on the bunk). A few small screws allow you to remove the luan access panel(s) on either side (driver or passenger depending on required motor access). We hardly ever use the bunk and I was looking for a way to place a satellite radio antenna inside the fiberglass nosing on the ACE (wires shown in one picture). The second picture shows the motor/actuator for the passenger side bunk operation mechanism. In my coach, the bunk motor controller unit was located high behind the magazine shelving, near the ceiling area behind a luan panel roughly on the passenger seat side. I have never had to access this controller, but I also did not see any easy screw removal luan panel in the area of the controller at that time either. I just thought, let’s hope I never need to get in there. Not sure if these pictures help anyone?
Now I feel that I need to find a way to stuff insulation up behind the paneling in the front cap. Need to figure out how to get behind the paneling.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote