Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #7058
2017 Vegas Ford Problems

Recently my Vegas stopped running while traveling 65 mph down I 95. Needless to say, this is scary because when that happens, your power steering and brakes do not work!

After manhandling over to the road shoulder, I put it in park and it restarted. Unfortunately it quit running 6 more times before I got back to my home.
I did finally get it into a local ford commercial dealer where they kept it for 3 weeks and eventually replaced a "PCM" which, per the ford corporate advice, had to be the problem.

I went to pick it up and was assured that it was repaired. I drove across town before it knocked off again and had to be towed back to the same dealer.
Now we are a total of 6 weeks in the shop. The local ford dealer is having difficulty "recreating the problem" and cannot identify a diagnostic code and according to the Ford Corporate, they cannot offer any of their engineering assistance until they know what the code is.

So at this point in time no one can tell me when my problem will be resolved.
I do not like having to bring an attorney into this but may need to if this is not resolved very soon.

Anyone ever had a similar repair issue or had a similar situation with Ford?

Appreciate any feedback.

Jimbo

Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
I don't know if this is applicable to your vehicle since it is so new, but my 2003 Expedition had a "Known problem" that I had to get fixed about 300 miles from home.
The "PCM Relay" socket in the terminal board was known to get too hot and melt the plastic around the relay connectors. The Relay would fail, sometimes all at once, sometimes intermittenly. The Final fix was to replace the terminal board with an new revision of the part from Ford (Rev A Part number). Your Ford dealer should be able to run a query in their repair/problem dbase and find the problem I mention.

See Post #15 on https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-trouble.html

Like I said, this may not be your problem.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
When the engine quit did you lose other things? (dash lights, head lights, etc.?)
I ask because it really sounds to me like you are having a ground problem.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Bring a lawyer in? Does he know what the problem is?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I would not leave ANY vehicle with a repair shop [Ford or otherwise) for 6 weeks if they didn’t know what the problem is. They are not likely to get any new insight or vision with passing days. I’d get it to a different Ford dealer since it is new and I’d fuss as the regional manager a good bit. Obviously something is wrong and six weeks is ridiculous. Intermittent problems are the worst but it’s probably going to be easy and free (to you) to fix once you get a mechanic that knows where to look. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5374
If you haven't done so already call Ford customer relations and get a formal complaint registered with them.
This will get a little heat going on the dealer and get the problem on Fords radar screen.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
I don't know if this is applicable to your vehicle since it is so new, but my 2003 Expedition had a "Known problem" that I had to get fixed about 300 miles from home.
The "PCM Relay" socket in the terminal board was known to get too hot and melt the plastic around the relay connectors. The Relay would fail, sometimes all at once, sometimes intermittenly. The Final fix was to replace the terminal board with an new revision of the part from Ford (Rev A Part number). Your Ford dealer should be able to run a query in their repair/problem dbase and find the problem I mention.

See Post #15 on https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-trouble.html

Like I said, this may not be your problem.
Thanks. I'll pass this on.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When the engine quit did you lose other things? (dash lights, head lights, etc.?)
I ask because it really sounds to me like you are having a ground problem.
Is was in the daytime and all the warning light appeared on the dash. Thanks
Old 11-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Bring a lawyer in? Does he know what the problem is?
I have updated an attorney on everything and I am checking on the Lemon Law statues in my state.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #10

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I would not leave ANY vehicle with a repair shop [Ford or otherwise) for 6 weeks if they didn’t know what the problem is. They are not likely to get any new insight or vision with passing days. I’d get it to a different Ford dealer since it is new and I’d fuss as the regional manager a good bit. Obviously something is wrong and six weeks is ridiculous. Intermittent problems are the worst but it’s probably going to be easy and free (to you) to fix once you get a mechanic that knows where to look. Good luck!
Ford Customer service has been updated over the last few weeks and will not authorize their field engineers to get involved until the local guys give them a diagnostic code. I agree I may need to move it to another dealer that covers warranty work but will need authorization from Ford Corporate to do that since it is not capable of being driven.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
If you haven't done so already call Ford customer relations and get a formal complaint registered with them.
This will get a little heat going on the dealer and get the problem on Fords radar screen.
Appreciate your input. Ford Corporate has been in the loop for several weeks and as mentioned in this thread, will not move forward with any assistance until the local guys get a diagnostic code to them.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
A few years back, when I worked at a dealership the shop had what they called a pilot this was a machine that they plugged into the system, and than they drove it or the owner drove it till it threw up the hidden code. Printed outall kinds of information. That is all I know not a mechanic
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Personally I think they're blowing smoke up your dress! These vehicles today are ran by computers that will indicate a code when something goes wrong. Basically they are not so much mechanics anymore as parts changers, computers do the majority of the diagnostics. Find another dealer & have the current dealer tow it to them at their expense, six weeks is absolutely ridiculous.
We had Ford's at work for 30+ years & from that experience I'm sorry to tell you that this is typical of their engines, just be thankful it's not their old 6.0 diesel.
No, I'm NOT a Ford fan!!!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I have updated an attorney on everything and I am checking on the Lemon Law statues in my state.
Would that be the NC lemon law that doesn't apply to vehicles over 10,000 lbs?

Or do they have a different one for motorhomes?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Personally I think they're blowing smoke up your dress! These vehicles today are ran by computers that will indicate a code when something goes wrong. Basically they are not so much mechanics anymore as parts changers, computers do the majority of the diagnostics. Find another dealer & have the current dealer tow it to them at their expense, six weeks is absolutely ridiculous.
We had Ford's at work for 30+ years & from that experience I'm sorry to tell you that this is typical of their engines, just be thankful it's not their old 6.0 diesel.
No, I'm NOT a Ford fan!!!
I think you're correct to some degree, but there are still exceptions. I'm going through one right now with my V10.

Four times that I can recall over the last two months, the engine has come to a very sudden stop when I came to a quick stop. It starts right up afterwards and keeps going like nothing happened.

To me it feels and sounds just like if a driver of a stick shift came to a stop and forgot to depress the clutch. My first assumption is that the torque converter clutch is not opening "occassionally" when I stop quickly. I asked Ford to look into it when they changed my oil last week and they told me there were no codes, and they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Just saying sometimes they really don't know what the problem is. I suppose that if/when my problem gets worse, we'll be able to figure it out. In the case of the OP, it apparently already got worse and they still don't know why. That's rare in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #16

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
Are they checking for a bare wire that could be hitting the chassis, shorting it out turning things off.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #17

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Would that be the NC lemon law that doesn't apply to vehicles over 10,000 lbs?

Or do they have a different one for motorhomes?

Yes, you are correct but the is also a Federal Lemon Law that I will consult with an attorney on.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #18

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonguy52 View Post
Are they checking for a bare wire that could be hitting the chassis, shorting it out turning things off.
Thanks. According to the local Ford shop they are checking all the wires and have been for 3 weeks.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #19

THOR #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I think you're correct to some degree, but there are still exceptions. I'm going through one right now with my V10.

Four times that I can recall over the last two months, the engine has come to a very sudden stop when I came to a quick stop. It starts right up afterwards and keeps going like nothing happened.

To me it feels and sounds just like if a driver of a stick shift came to a stop and forgot to depress the clutch. My first assumption is that the torque converter clutch is not opening "occassionally" when I stop quickly. I asked Ford to look into it when they changed my oil last week and they told me there were no codes, and they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Just saying sometimes they really don't know what the problem is. I suppose that if/when my problem gets worse, we'll be able to figure it out. In the case of the OP, it apparently already got worse and they still don't know why. That's rare in my opinion.
Thanks. As I mentioned the problem is a huge safety problem when your steering and brakes lock up when the engine stops running and you are traveling 65mph.

I came across this today and will hopefully get some legal direction.

"Has there been at least one failed attempt to fix a deadly defect (something that is likely to cause an accident or injury)?