Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2021, 04:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
THOR #9126
Question Electrical Quandary 2018 30FE

I'm told we have an issue with the converter. Where is it on a 2018 30FE?

Something is drawing 6 amps from the cabin battery when hooked to shore power. One battery, about five months old, was totally dead and would not charge. Then the new battery had the same issue when shore power was on.

All the fuses have been checked so the electrician says. But he's an automotive electrician, not an RV electrician.

I'm told that there are actually 2 fuses on the converter itself, not with the fuse box.

So where is this converter found on a 2018 30FE?

Old 06-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #2

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
The converter is what charges the battery from shore/generator power and is typically located inside the AC breaker/DC fuse panel.
Need more and clearer info to diagnose remotely.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Converter looks like the one below. In my 2019 30FE, it's on the side of the bed, and is clearly visible when you face the bedroom from the area of the fridge. Press lightly on the top edge, and it will pop open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-21.png
Views:	41
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	31164  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
You will want to check the two red fuses that are shown between the two white labels in the picture below. If either or both of them are blown, the converter will not function. Don't rely on a visual look at them; check them with a multimeter.
Attached Images

Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #5

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott37040 View Post
I'm told we have an issue with the converter. Where is it on a 2018 30FE?

Something is drawing 6 amps from the cabin battery when hooked to shore power. One battery, about five months old, was totally dead and would not charge. Then the new battery had the same issue when shore power was on.

All the fuses have been checked so the electrician says. But he's an automotive electrician, not an RV electrician.

I'm told that there are actually 2 fuses on the converter itself, not with the fuse box.

So where is this converter found on a 2018 30FE?
If there is a 6 amp load on the battery, it will always be there whether you are connected to shore power or not, until you disconnect that 6 amp load.
How many chassis batteries do you have?
Here is a video that explains the converter, if you have the voltmeter and skill in using it, you can check the converter operation.
In the video I do see one fuse in the converter, but typically if that blows, something in the guts is toast.

That automotive technician must have been one of those "just replace parts until it works" technician.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you are connected to shore power and the batteries are going dead you have more than a fuse problem. It could be the entire converter is bad because the batteries should be charging while connected. Make sure the use/store switch is in the use position.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:47 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
THOR #9126
More info. Just one cabin "marine" battery under the step. Last November (2020), the cabin battery went dead. Had it replaced at AutoZone. The gal flipped the cables and attached negative to positive and vice versa! Sparks!

Later, AutoZone sent a tech to check the whole RV and he found blown fuses behind the Axxera in the dash.

Now we have this issue. I think it's all related so, yes, replace the entire converter might be necessary. I now have an appointment to have it checked.

Thanks all!!!
Old 06-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #8

THOR #16471
If the pos/neg were swapped, then the fuses that Popfla mentioned in post #4 should be checked, those are there to blow on reversal to protect the converter.

Tags
converter, electrical