Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 03:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Nebraska
THOR #21813
2018 Axis 25.2 - Does the BIM charge chassis battery from shore power?

I have a 2018 Thor Axis 25.2 and I'm having trouble with the chassis battery charge. When I plug into shore power, the chassis battery does not get charged but the house batteries seem to be fine. Chassis battery was charged last weekend, but it's dead now.

I don't think I have a BiRD/Trombetta, but I do have a BIM 160. When I push the emergency start button the radio powers up and the chassis battery seems to be getting power. Also don't think I have a BCC as there isn't one near the fuse box in the driver's side outside compartment.

My question is - when working normally, does the BIM allow for chassis battery charging when plugged into shore power? It allows house battery charging when driving.

I'm wondering if the BIM is mis-wired or if the system's not designed to charge the chassis battery from shore. The chassis battery was replaced at some time before I got it. I checked the 100A breaker and the 15A fuse going to the BIM, both are good.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Get out the VOM and see how yours is wired. Sounds like the banks are connected by a solenoid for certain. BIM can certainly connect both banks and what its purpose is.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...ger-Rev7-1.pdf
Old 04-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The BIM160 is designed to allow the Converter to charge the chassis batteries when on shore or generator power and for the alternator to charge the house batteries when driving.

I have the BIM160 on my 2020 Magnitude SV34. I have had many posts about it being wired incorrectly and causing issues with charging the batteries in my coach. You may want to do a search.

In my case, Thor had the chassis batteries connected to Post-B along with the chassis battery voltage monitor wire and the house batteries connected to Poast-A when the chassis battiers and voltage monitoring wire should have been attached to Post-A and the house batteries should have been attached to Post-B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM 160 Correct Wiring.png
Views:	67
Size:	714.2 KB
ID:	29739  
Old 04-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #4

THOR #21813
On mine the BIM 160 seems to be wired correctly. The dead chassis battery is wired to the "A" post, the house/coach batteries are wired to the "B" post.

Judge, I read through all the thread about your BIM issues - I'm glad your problem got resolved.

I wonder if my problem is because the chassis battery was dead before I plugged into shore power. I parked my RV in my driveway and it was about 3-4 days before I connected it to shore power. In that time it seems the parasitic loads drained the chassis battery down to about 5v, and when I plugged in shore power it just didn't charge it up.

I've got the chassis battery on a charger now, I'll have to test it to see if it was a too-low voltage on the chassis side problem.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Have you checked that the chassis battery is indeed still good? Either via a load test or with a hydrometer. If you have the OEM battery in a 2018 coach it may be done in. My 2018 ACE the battery had a bad cell after two years of service. Remember your 2108 is built on a 2017 chassis and the battery is at least 4 years old at this point.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #6

THOR #21813
MJC62 - I believe that the chassis battery was installed recently as the dealer mentioned replacing a battery and the house batteries look old. I'll have to check the date code.

I threw it on a car charger and it seems to have charged up, but I'll have to check the resting voltage. This is the second time it's died like that, last time I charged it up and it lasted for a weekend trip.

I wonder if the aftermarket radio I installed recently has accelerated the chassis battery issues. The car charger shows about a constant 1A draw, I don't think the radio draws that much by itself and radio accessory power is tied to the house batteries as from factory.