Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
2018 Chateau, catalytic converter failure

I have a 2018 Chateau (on the Ford E450 chassis). It is less than 3 years old, 45K miles, and I got a check engine light with code P0420 - Catalyst Bank 1 Efficiency Below Threshold. The catalytic converter had to be replaced. I'm surprised that this happened at 45k miles. Has anyone else here had catalytic converter problems on the E450?

The closest Ford dealer that could do this job on a motorhome was 90 minutes away. They got a catalytic converter in advance, and it only took them about an hour to replace it, but then they broke the O2 sensor and didn't have the part, so I waited all day for the O2 sensor to arrive.

They said the cat is a $4000 part. Holy cow! I'm glad it's under warranty.

I've also had 2 check engine lights for evaporative emission system leaks. Both times they replaced the purge valve, and the last time there was another fitting damaged that probably got chewed by a squirrel.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
My father in law, had all his wires and rubber hoses eaten into my rodents. That was a 6,000 dollar replacement, WOW, after that he put an all night light under the hood (actually two of them both sides of the engine compartment) and hasn't had a recurrence as yet. It's now been two years.