Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17763
Question 2018 E 350 Super Duty Oil Change Intervals

Hello all, I have a 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22 FE with a 2018 E350 Super Duty V10 6.8 l engine.* Wondering if I change the oil with the Motorcraft Full Synthetic.* At what intervals should I change it.* Or is it not worth it and stay with the Synthetic Blend. Also want to know the interval of changing with this oil. Manual says change every 7,500 miles.* Dealer says to change the synthetic blend every 5,000 miles. So not sure of the info given to me.* I am using iRV part time.* Maybe 10 trips a year. Short one mostly weekenders. I usually don't reach the 7,500 in a year. Not mechanically inclined so asking for some input

Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Dealers will tell you to change the oil more often than necessary because it means $$$ in their pockets.

Today's synthetic blend and pure synthetic blend oils coupled with engines running cleaner and cooler can go longer than the old 3000 - 5000 mile oil changes when used for normal driving conditions so running 7500 miles on an oil change is not a problem.

Now if you drive in very dusty conditions, tow a heavy load continually, run in extremely hot conditions, etc. then 5000 miles between changes would be recommended.

If I were you, I would change your oil once per year.

My 2020 Magnitude is on the F-550 with the 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel. The computer tells me when to change the oil. It has been almost a year and my Change Oil Reminder just came on and I am probably around 7000 miles since it was changed.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #3

THOR #17763
So I should stay with the synthetic blend then. No need to go full synthetic . At least for now, and follow manual of changing it every 7500. Or yearly. Which ever comes first.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #4

THOR #12751
The full synthetic will give you more of a cushion if you had to go further or longer between oil changes but it does cost more so you have to ask yourself if it is worth the added cost for that extra security. I think the synthetic blend would be just fine for you at 7500 miles or once a year.

It also depends on how long do you plan to keep the coach. Full synthetic can provide better protection (but synthetic blends are still very good) so if you want to keep your coach and worry less about lubrication relatd failures it could be worth the peace of mind to you.

I tend to run full synthetic now but I do my own oil changes on my vehicles. I can usually get full synthetic oils that meets the manufacturer specs on Amazon and do it for a lot less than a dealer or shop.

I have a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L Diesel. It calls for full sythetic. If I take it somewhere, it is $100 for an oil change. I can do it myself for $50.

My snowmobiles call for full synthetic. The manufacturer's oil is $50/gallon. I can get oil that meets the spec for $25/gallon on Amazon.

My Magnitude with the 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel calls for a synthetic blend. It costs $110 at the Ford dealer. I have actually been debating doing it myself and using full synthetic. I'm betting the dealer would charge $150 - $200 for full synthetic. I can get Full Synthetic and a Filter for less than half that cost. The biggest pain is it takes 13 quarts so it just makes the disposal of the old oil a little more of a pain since there is so much of it.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #5

THOR #17763
Great info. Appreciate the feedback. I will take all this into consideration. Thanks again. Have a great day.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #6

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a 2018 Chateau on the E450 chassis with the same V-10 engine. After the initial break-in period I have used full-synthetic with a Ford Motorcraft filter. Even with full synthetic I change it about every 7500 miles. Mine is a big 32 ft. RV, so it's heavy, and I often tow a car behind it, so it works hard, especially if there are any hills. The oil loses its amber color pretty quickly, and at 7500 miles definitely looks like it's ready to be changed.

I do my own oil changes. This is a very easy vehicle for a DIY oil change. The oil drain plug and filter are easily accessible, and you don't even have to jack up the vehicle. I also grease the steering linkages while I'm at it -- there are 4 grease fittings up there.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #7

THOR #17763
Mine is only 24 ft. I do not pull anything with it. I havent reached the first 7500 miles yet. But haven't changed oil since I purchased back in May of 2019. Oil is actually light brown color. My trips are short. Living in S FL we have only gone to areas within our state. The furthest we've gone is about 550 miles round-trip on it. We are planning this year to get out more. So you think going full synthetic in my case worth it?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimenez61 View Post
Mine is only 24 ft. I do not pull anything with it. I havent reached the first 7500 miles yet. But haven't changed oil since I purchased back in May of 2019. Oil is actually light brown color. My trips are short. Living in S FL we have only gone to areas within our state. The furthest we've gone is about 550 miles round-trip on it. We are planning this year to get out more. So you think going full synthetic in my case worth it?

I think you'll be fine either way. Since you aren't changing your oil very often, the extra cost of full synthetic probably isn't significant overall. My RV is driven a lot, including some very long trips, so I change my oil 2-3 times a year, and I still opt for the full synthetic because I'm very anal about maintenance.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:14 AM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I ran full synthetic in my F350 and F550

Over 100k on them and no issues

Typically changed based on the computer display which was around 7500 miles

On occasion under heavy hauling the intervals were lower

Little over $150 at the dealership

I did change it myself as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The full synthetic will give you more of a cushion if you had to go further or longer between oil changes but it does cost more so you have to ask yourself if it is worth the added cost for that extra security. I think the synthetic blend would be just fine for you at 7500 miles or once a year.

It also depends on how long do you plan to keep the coach. Full synthetic can provide better protection (but synthetic blends are still very good) so if you want to keep your coach and worry less about lubrication relatd failures it could be worth the peace of mind to you.

I tend to run full synthetic now but I do my own oil changes on my vehicles. I can usually get full synthetic oils that meets the manufacturer specs on Amazon and do it for a lot less than a dealer or shop.

I have a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L Diesel. It calls for full sythetic. If I take it somewhere, it is $100 for an oil change. I can do it myself for $50.

My snowmobiles call for full synthetic. The manufacturer's oil is $50/gallon. I can get oil that meets the spec for $25/gallon on Amazon.

My Magnitude with the 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel calls for a synthetic blend. It costs $110 at the Ford dealer. I have actually been debating doing it myself and using full synthetic. I'm betting the dealer would charge $150 - $200 for full synthetic. I can get Full Synthetic and a Filter for less than half that cost. The biggest pain is it takes 13 quarts so it just makes the disposal of the old oil a little more of a pain since there is so much of it.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:19 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
FWIW I use Mobil1 and change it once or twice a year. I buy it in quarts when it’s on sale. Usually can get 5 quarts plus filter at AutoZone for about $30. With two additional quarts it’s still under $40. I change it myself as it literally is the easiest vehicle ever to do. Also lube the front at the same time. It’s cheap and easy to do so I usually do it about 5,000 miles. I expect there’s no downside to waiting longer but it’s a hard working engine and why not be “nice” to it.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #11

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
An oil change is cheaper than an engine rebuild, so why risk it. If all you're putting on yearly is 7k miles of easy driving, change it once a year. If you're driving more than that or hard driving change it more frequently. Me personally I never let an oil change go over 5k miles, except for the race car, it gets changed after every night of racing. Oil is cheap compared to a rebuild.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #12

Model: Majestic 23A
THOR #20977
I've been running full synthetic oil (normally Mobile 1), in all my vehicles for 20+ years with zero issues and zero regrets. I don't like the blended synthetics because no one at the parts store or dealership can tell me what percentage in blended oil is synthetic vs regular oil. I do know that in my motorcycle it runs cooler (less friction) with a full synthetic than with regular oil as the oil molecules are rounder in the synthetic oil. I change the oil in the motorcycle at 3,000 miles as the oil also lubes the transmission as well as the engine and there is a "shearing effect" the transmission gears has on the oil, which shortens it's lubricating life. I go 5,000 miles on my other vehicles and will do the same on my rv or at least once a year if I don't drive it that much in a year.
Oil, even the premium stuff, is cheap verses any oil related engine breakdown. I also will be running synthetic in the tranny and rear end.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I use Mobil 1 as well change it once a year. The problem isn’t going to be the mileage. That’s going to be all highway driving. It’s the sitting and not being used that the full synthetic helps. If you can use yours each month that’s great. But for us northerners where they sit for 3 or 4 months out of the year the synthetic adds a little more protection. Or at least I have been told that. Who knows if that’s true but for not really that much more when you do it yourself it’s a feel good at least.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #14

THOR #6903
I have owned and operated many different engines over the years farming and ranching as well as owing a small trucking company.

Other than during dust storms I found the quality of the oil filter was more important than the oil (using oil with proper specs of course but different brands/blends) and the interval

Many of you probably aren't aware that 500 hours is the typical interval now for HD diesel engines, that equates to a lot of miles
Old 03-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #15

THOR #5837
On a related question, what about the transmission and rear differential?

For the newer 6-speed trans the owner's manual says change it at 150K miles. But the schedule for towing a trailer says every 30K miles. Mine is at 60K and the fluid still looks clean.
For the rear end, the regular maintenance schedule says change the fluid at 97,500 miles. The towing schedule says every 22,500 miles.

I'm planning to do a long trip this summer, about 6500 miles in the July/August heat towing a CR-V. I will change the trans and rear axle fluids before that trip. I was just wondering how often the rest of you change the trans and rear axle fluids.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post

For the newer 6-speed trans the owner's manual says change it at 150K miles. But the schedule for towing a trailer says every 30K miles. Mine is at 60K and the fluid still looks clean.
For the rear end, the regular maintenance schedule says change the fluid at 97,500 miles. The towing schedule says every 22,500 miles.

I'm planning to do a long trip this summer, about 6500 miles in the July/August heat towing a CR-V. I will change the trans and rear axle fluids before that trip. I was just wondering how often the rest of you change the trans and rear axle fluids.

Good questions. I’d follow the recommendations for towing even if I never towed. Most of our coaches operate pretty near their GVWR if not their GCWR. As with engine oil the service is a lot cheaper than the failure. I’d considered the question of when to do it but hadn’t gotten around to looking up an answer because my 2019 only has about 9200 (COVID limited!) miles.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #17

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post

The Super Duties or at least mine had coolers on the rear of the differential. never changed oil in any of them at low mileage and never had a single issue. Back in the day the rear ends would get so hot you couldn't even get your hand close to them, not so today. So given you were carbonizing the oil it did need changed more often and the oil wasn't as good either
Old 03-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #18

THOR #12751
I was going to have the Ford dealr change the oil in my 2020 Magnitude when I take it in for a state inspection. I had a coupon for $110 for the PowerStroke with Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel Oil.

Turns out the Powerstroke has a fairly strict oil spec and not just API Service CK-4 oil. Ford has a spec WSS-M2C171-F1 for the PowerStroke. After doing some research I found Tractor Supply had the Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic that meets the Ford spec on sale for $50 for 2.5 Gallons. I decided to change the oil myself and move to the Full Syntetic.

The Motorcraft Filter at Wal-Mart was $17 and for 13 quarts on sale ended up costing me $87. So I moved to full synthetic for less than the standard oil doing it myself this time.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:10 AM   #19

THOR #17763
Did you use full synthetic right away. Or did you use blend for a while before using full. I was told to use blend for about 2 oil changes and then change to full
Old 03-05-2021, 12:55 AM   #20

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimenez61 View Post
Did you use full synthetic right away. Or did you use blend for a while before using full. I was told to use blend for about 2 oil changes and then change to full

I used full synthetic right away. I have come to believe that it is an urban legend that you should wait. Many (many) vehicles now come from the factory with synthetic and thats good enough for me. Plus the owners manual says you can use either with no mention of waiting.