Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2023, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: M29 Windsport
State: California
THOR #17124
2018 M29 Windsport counter to wall Gap

I have a one inch gap between the counter and the wall when wall slide is retracted. The gap goes away when wall slide is extended. I have seen on other MFG blogs this issue but wondering if anyone has seen this problem. It might appear the structure is broken.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:41 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I have a one inch gap between the counter and the wall when wall slide is retracted. The gap goes away when wall slide is extended. I have seen on other MFG blogs this issue but wondering if anyone has seen this problem. It might appear the structure is broken.
I am not sure a M29 and the 29M are the same layouts, but I thought the 29M had a Full Wall slide? Obviously it must not, pictures would help.

You have seen the issues on other blogs, what did they say about the problem or do to mitigate?

I have a 29ve SOB with full wall slide which has a layout like the 29M. I can't see how the counter comes next to a wall as the entire thing is fixed and moves in tandem so I am missing something.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #3

THOR #17124
2018 M29 Windsport counter to wall Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am not sure a M29 and the 29M are the same layouts, but I thought the 29M had a Full Wall slide? Obviously it must not, pictures would help.

You have seen the issues on other blogs, what did they say about the problem or do to mitigate?

I have a 29ve SOB with full wall slide which has a layout like the 29M. I can't see how the counter comes next to a wall as the entire thing is fixed and moves in tandem so I am missing something.

Yes, my 29M has a full wall slide. The counter is attached to the slide. When the slide is out the gap goes away. I now noticed that the gap between the floor and counter closes up when closed. And when closed I can push against the counter and it moves like the attachment is broken. Other blogs said that their mfg missed the structure when attaching with hardware and vibration broke it loose. I’ll take some pics and post.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:00 PM   #4

THOR #17124
Update:
After reading more issues in the Fleetwood blog I looked at my structure and damn mine has also pulled away from the wall panel. Very weak installation. I installed several screws in the frame behind the hot water tank and now the counter sits solid.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Update:
After reading more issues in the Fleetwood blog I looked at my structure and damn mine has also pulled away from the wall panel. Very weak installation. I installed several screws in the frame behind the hot water tank and now the counter sits solid.
For clarity...

You are saying your issue is the kitchen counter was not properly mounted to frame of the inside full slide wall?

If so, it is very clear to me now, I wonder if something is causing it to drag or twist when slide is going in and out? Lots of hoses, plumbing and some electrical. I would verify they all have slack when extended and retracted.

Regardless, glad your problem is resolved. If that were to happen to me, my oven would be off alignment too because it is part of the frame that the counter sits on.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:21 AM   #6

THOR #17124
My oven is also part of the installation that is attached to the wall slide. That part of the attachment remains solid. All of the screws installed by Thor were not holding anything just spinning. Then I found a screw installed from the outside through the corner of the counter and then into the wall panel like they knew it wasn’t going to hold. This all happened after a 6,000 mile West to East coast trip on I 10. The road was terrible. All lines and wires are ok. Thanks for the interest.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:27 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I have a Hurricane 29M and I have a similar gap between the counter top and the wall. My gap does not change whether the slide is in or out. I always took the gap as a 'drain' in case of a liquid spilled on the counter instead of another example of Thor's piss poor assembly.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:16 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
My oven is also part of the installation that is attached to the wall slide. That part of the attachment remains solid. All of the screws installed by Thor were not holding anything just spinning. Then I found a screw installed from the outside through the corner of the counter and then into the wall panel like they knew it wasn’t going to hold. This all happened after a 6,000 mile West to East coast trip on I 10. The road was terrible. All lines and wires are ok. Thanks for the interest.
I40 is not any better. Suffered a cracked windshield westbound out of W Memphis.