Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Kentucky
THOR #18163
2018 Palazoo Lemon

After spending more time under repair then us being able to use it, we cut our losses and traded for a different brand. It was at Thor for almost 3 months due to a slide install that drained water into the Coach instead of out. List of things that were repaired in the short time we had it- steps, slide motors (2) , refrigerator , washer dumped on the floor drain not installed, shower door upside down, sink drain upside down, outlets not wired in, entire basement floor removed, additional bracing put in, new flooring, entry door glass fell out and would fly open, fire extinguisher fell off the wall, firefly panel went out,. There is more. We started dreading what would happen next. It looked beautiful but was junk. Buyer beware - terrible workmanship.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You must have bought a "built on Friday" coach. I don't have a Palazzo, but the first thing to fall off in ours was the fire extinguisher. The dummies screwed the mounting bracket into the thin cabinet wall on the left side of the entrance steps. It was on my first warranty punch list.

When I got the coach back, dealer service had just re-mounted it in the SAME spot! So I removed it and mounted it to the right of the entrance door... where screws could bite into the wall's metal frame... then filled the cabinet holes with wood putty.

I noticed that the new models have the fire extinguisher mounted to the right of the door... maybe I should collect an engineering/design fee?
Old 10-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
2018 model...did you recently buy it used or were these problems since new?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #4

THOR #18163
That’s where it was installed. It went in the cabinet after that
Old 10-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

THOR #18163
It was brand new. First week we had it , TV went out. First time we used it, water from the kitchen sink went everywhere . The pipe wasn’t connected right. The list went on and on. Never had a single trip that something didn’t work
Old 10-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDeb View Post
It was brand new. First week we had it , TV went out. First time we used it, water from the kitchen sink went everywhere . The pipe wasn’t connected right. The list went on and on. Never had a single trip that something didn’t work

So what did you get? They all have issues when new. Our Newmar didn’t make it through a whole trip without something breaking for over a year (10,000 miles and about 75 nights) but it’s been trouble free this year. You just have to get through the initial repairs.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #7

THOR #18163
We bought a Tiffin. Nothing wrong so far. 2weeks in. You can only deal with stress from a lemon for so long.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDeb View Post
We bought a Tiffin. Nothing wrong so far. 2weeks in. You can only deal with stress from a lemon for so long.

Cool. Welcome to the SOB (some other brand) crowd. There are quite a few up of us here so hope you’ll stay too. Enjoy your travels.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Cool. Welcome to the SOB (some other brand) crowd. There are quite a few up of us here so hope you’ll stay too. Enjoy your travels.
Nope... They "married into the family"...

Quote:
(AP) — Indiana-based Thor Industries Inc. said Monday it had bought family-owned Tiffin Motorhomes, the Alabama-based manufacturer of high-end recreational vehicles, in a deal worth $300 million.
Dec 21, 2020
Old 10-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #1135
I will never buy new.
First, I could not justify that cost and loss.
Mostly, I will let someone else fix all the factory defects I hear about on all the RV sites.
It is a shame the good ones are selling out to the bad ones instead of the other way around.
It is going to become a monopoly with nowhere to go for a well made coach.
It would be nice if they all took the time , expense and energy to improve their QA.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #11

State: Alaska
THOR #20592
So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by love my rv View Post
i will never buy new.
First, i could not justify that cost and loss.
Mostly, i will let someone else fix all the factory defects i hear about on all the rv sites.
It is a shame the good ones are selling out to the bad ones instead of the other way around.
It would be nice if they all took the time , expense and energy to improve their qa.
amen!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Thor

I have a 2018 Vegas.

Problems with Thor Motor Coaches have become a cliché. You can count on using the warranty more than once in the first couple of years and doing many repairs on your own if you have any mechanical talent or experience. Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.

My last problem was the awning fell apart upon trying to open it. One side of the roller was being held together by only one short screw. Fortunately the guy across the road at the RV site had a tall step ladder and was able to duct tape it together for the ride home.

Alajeu
Old 10-11-2021, 11:57 AM   #13

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love My RV View Post
I will never buy new.
First, I could not justify that cost and loss.
Mostly, I will let someone else fix all the factory defects I hear about on all the RV sites.

It would be nice if they all took the time , expense and energy to improve their QA.
Nice theory but it doesn't work that way. So you start looking for a lightly used but in great shape used RV. You can find them on CL, FB, RVT, RVTrader, street corners, etc. Current owner cleans it up, makes it shine and says everything works, they just don't have time now that schools are back in session and back in the office/factory working. You can look it over but you'll never find the persistent random shorts from faulty wiring, kinked gas and plumbing lines, slow drains due to design error, slide leaks in hard rains, creaking floors, bent axles causing abnormal tire wear, etc. You just got someones lemon with no warranty. Caveat Emptor.

Or you can buy new and be almost assured that it's going to be a some dealer "getting stuff right" a good bit of the time. More time at a dealer than available for you to use if you are not mechanically inclined and handy.

Getting an RV, any vehicle really, is a crap shoot and RV especially due to the complexity of the construction, poor to non existent QA and QC at the factory, entry level components, owner misuse, dealer service departments incompetence, and a whole host of other reasons, just fill in the blank.

Corporate consolidation has been going on since Cain killed Able. Better or worse it's a fact and some are definitely worse.

You can "time the market" when you buy and sell. Every winner has a loser. You'll get your turn.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyer beware