Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #10422
Exclamation 2018 Thor 31Y, Dometic Heater Problems

The heater in my 31Y works inconsistently. At lower elevations-sea level. It starts up right away and heats the RV perfectly. I live in Colorado Springs at 7400 feet above sea level. I tried to start the heater before traveling to Oklahoma this week. The heater came on after it cycled on and off for a few minutes. The next day, I tried again before leaving on my trip and it cycled like it was trying to work, but I hear a clicking sound, then a whooshing sound when the fuel is igniting, that lasts for about 30 seconds. Then it shuts off and cycles over and over, never producing heat. When I arrived in Oklahoma City, the heater worked perfectly the first time we tried it. I’ve had this problem since I purchased the RV. I’ve taken it to the dealer. They stated that they got it to work after a few tries at starting it. I’ve had it serviced and bench tested by an independent tech. He said the Dometic heater was working well, but that the fuel line was crimped due to a design flaw in the way the slide out is designed. Another company said that I need a new motherboard. Any ideas before I spend more money on repairing this? Very frustrated!
Thanks

Old 11-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Both a propane furnace and RV fridge have trouble with altitude. The propane flow is somewhat fixed, but the oxygen content of the air decreases with altitude. Above 5,000 ft altitude, the ratio of propane to oxygen can get out of wack (mixture too rich to burn). Usually increasing the airflow to the burner will correct the condition. The second problem is low voltage if on battery power. Even if the battery voltage looks ok without the furnace blower running, when the blower starts-up the voltage can drop below 11.0 volts making the furnace hard to light. The specs say 10.5 volts minimum, but that is when the control board shuts down. The last problem is the burner flame is not directly above the thermocouple.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I don't know if this helps, but when we first got our 2015 Hurricane we were out for our first below freezing trip and the heater would only work for maybe a minute or two and then go out. You could here the igniter clicking but nothing. Let it sit for awhile and the same thing. Took it in to the dealer and they said everything was fine but I knew it was not. Through a lengthy process we found out it wasn't getting propane. There was moisture in the tank from the factory and when it got cold that moisture froze in the regulator blocking the flow. A local propane dealer explained this to me that the tanks when first put into service need to be evacuated to remove any moisture that may be in the tank. Dealers do not do that and it doesn't happen on all tanks. He emptied the tank and evacuated the tank and refilled it and the problem has never returned. It took him awhile to remove the propane in the tank but he didn't charge labor just for the new propane. We were in 16 degree temps a few weeks ago at 7500 feet and no problem. If you have questions call Western Propane 714-893-9329 and talk with Mr. Gassy, no kidding. I will only buy propane from them even if it is a 15 mile round trip. Good luck, I hope you get to the root of the problem.

Bruce
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve had an altitude problem with my outside propane grill but stove and furnace have worked fine in freezing weather at about 6,000 ft. I installed a small inverter and automatic transfer switch dedicated entirely to running my refrigerator because I want to be able to run it on the road with the propane turned off. Found a new old stock 800W modified sine wave inverter on EBay for $50 and purchased the ATS for another $50. I think it was well worth it.

Tags
dometic heater, malfunction