Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Use/Store Switch Broken?

Different/curiosity question around this switch.

I thought this switch controlled the entire 12v system where the Store position cut everything off. Seems when I'm plugged into shore power, this switch has no affect. It's only when I throw the SP breaker, it works as advertised.

Ideas?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
There is so much confusion over the use/store switch, and as a result you'll find plenty of discussion about it all over the site.

In general, if you have the switch in the "STORE" position, the 12-volt converter will power all the 12-volt systems when plugged into AC or when running the generator. When the switch is in "STORE", however, your battery (or batteries) will NOT be charged while plugged in.

You only need to put it in "STORE" position if you are not going to be using the RV for any length of time. It minimizes battery drain - just be aware it does NOT eliminate battery drain as a few other small things are still connected.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The use/store switch is a useless feature. In the store mode, your coach battery will still drain. The only thing it does is prevent the coach batteries from charging. It should be labeled charge/no charge.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Turn it on whenever you're driving or camping, and off when the rig is sitting unused...
And it won't work if the parasitic losses drain your batteries to where it won't activate the relay that change it's setting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The use/store switch is a useless feature. In the store mode, your coach battery will still drain. The only thing it does is prevent the coach batteries from charging. It should be labeled charge/no charge.
Yes, this exactly.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty.Deuce View Post
Yes, this exactly.
Well, not exactly. In my case, my solar panel and controller is connected to the batteries even when the switch is in STORE position. My batteries take on a constant charge thanks to free FL sunshine while in storage.

In the STORE position, the batteries are charging and there is very little else connected so no dead batteries to worry about.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The parasitic losses in most coaches are the rear radio's memory and usually the carbon monoxide/propane monitor. Most of the reason for a discharged house battery is self discharge and poor maintenance. A three year old FLA battery well used will self discharge at 0.8 to 1.2% per day. In 60 days it will be effectively total discharged. The longer a LFA remains partially discharged greatly effects battery life. You can look at the battery post of the latching relay as see what wires bypass the use/store - master power switch.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote