Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #10858
Antenna Amplifier Not Working?

Hi everyone, I have a 2017 Thor Chateau 22E that we've been having a blast in. Today I started up the tv for the first time in a very long time to see if we'd get any reception in the middle of the woods. Ran a scan and got over 20 stations. I moved a bunch of junk around so I could swivel out the tv to see what was going on in the world.

When I swung the tv out the reception went away. Nothing at all. I ran another scan, no channels at all, turned the antenna around and nothing.

At that point I noticed the little green light for the antenna amplifier was off. I hadn't checked it before, but I assume it was on when I got 20+ stations.

Tinkered with everything for a little while and could not make the light turn back on. Don't have a multimeter with me to check the power behind the switch plate, but it feels like the solution should be easy. It worked right up until I was ready to watch it. It's worked in the past with no problems, but I don't watch very often. It's probably at least a month or two since we've watched anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Did you press the button next to the green light??
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #3

THOR #10858
Yep, tried that several times. Since it seemed to stop working when I moved the tv I checked the cable to the tv and no issue there. Nothing else moved or changed between the moment that it worked and the moment that it didn't.

I'm thinking the movement of the tv should not have any impact on whether or not the green light turns on, but it did seem to stop working right when I moved the tv.

Took the switch plate off the wall and all of the wires seem to be in tact and securely attached.

I was hoping there was a simple solution that I was overlooking. If there is I'm still overlooking it.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #10144
Did you check the coax cable on the tv?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #5

THOR #10858
I did. It seems to be secure. Took it off and put it back on. Do you know if the green light would still turn on if that cable was disconnected or no good?

Seems like the light just tells you if there is power and would not be affected by that cable, but I don't know for sure.

I was thinking it might be a bad cable or a loose connection since moving the tv seemed to affect it, but I don't think that would affect the light.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The power for the 12 volt amplifier may actually be supplied by another coax cable and an "injector". If you don't have separate white/black/red wires going to the amp, then one of the coax cables which supply the 12VDC may have come loose.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

THOR #10858
Ok. On the back of the amplifier there is a red and white wire and 2 coax cables. There is an empty coax spot, but I think that is for a second tv and I only have one. Does that help anything?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Measure the voltage between your red and white wires; it should be 12 VDC. If not you will need to trace their source.

If you have 12 VDC from them but can't get the amplifier power light to come on, disconnect all coax cables (one may have shorted). If still no light then you have a bad amplifier.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:49 AM   #9

THOR #10858
Ok, thanks. That's the "there's nothing simple that you're overlooking" answer and it's all I can think of too.

Will do that. We've been on the road for 6 months and at least nothing broke until we were two days from home.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SB
State: Texas
THOR #6703
I just bought a new amplifier plate because mine would not "stay" on. The little button wouldn't "click" and stay "in". I taped it down, green light on, all good (until tape adhesive gave way). New plate should fix my problem.