Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
2018 Thor Chateau 24FS - how to manually retract slide-outs

The 2018 Thor Chateau 24FS has two slide outs, both on the drivers side.

Big question is how to retract the slide-outs if they don't want to cooperate.

I've not had that problem yet, BUT...with a slide-out OUT, you are pretty much nailed to one location and cannot even have the RV towed. In just about every other case, you can get towed to an RV repair shop.

I've been looking around and simply cannot find any access panel to the electric motor or any manual crank, etc.

The front slide is the kitchen table then going to the back, there's closed/clothing drawer area and behind that the bedroom slide-out.

It sounds to me that the electric motor is near the ceiling behind the upper closet hanging clothing rack...but there is no access panel.

I plan to call Thor support to see what they have to say....I'll let you know on this thread, but in the mean time, anyone have any experience with this model RV and manual retraction of the slide-outs?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
I think I've answered my own question:

First of all I found the "Dual Motor Synchronous Velocity Slide Controller" P/N 13398-D0 in the lower storage compartment on the drivers side, just below the kitchen slide-out.

From there, I found http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...-schwintek.pdf. This manual doesn't reference the "-D0" model of the 13398, but close enough to determine that I have an "In-wall Slide-out. Page 8 of this manual shows that the motors (2 per slide-out) are integrated into the slide-out column's...and thus would not (at least for me) be accessible/serviceable.

But. this YouTube video is the answer on how to get the slide back in and provides instructions on how to (1) reset the controller, (2) manually push in or (3) disengage the gears to make manually pushing in easier...but in this last case you must brace the slideout!

I don't believe that there is any manual crank on this type if slide-out
Old 08-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #15930
I have a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite FE and i would like to know how to close my slide out manually can anyone help me?
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
LCI has several Youtube videos on high to get the slides in of the refuse to move, but here is a synopsis. First find the slide controller. For big slide sit will be in one of the basement compartments for the bedroom it is probably under the bed and for the class A with a front bunk it is in the forward left cabnet over the driver. If the is a error the controller will flash a fault code showing the motor and the specific fault. Pressing the small button in the controller by the LEDs seven times and then hold the button the seven time unt the LED flash alternately. This will put the controller in to emergency mode and override all safety functions. Next thing to try is to remove the motor cables from controller (this releases the motor brakes) and try to push the slide in. It is very stiff so thee or more people are recommended. Lastly at the top outside of the slide is a bulb seal. Under the very top will a machine screw remove that screw from both sides. This will release the motors. Go back into the coach and remove the top part od the inner seal and lift the motor up about one inch to release them from the drive shaft. The slide now can be moved very easily. One last important NOTE. Once the slide is in it must be secured by plugging the motors, or making the sure the motors drop back into drive shaft. If you have a slide lock will also secure the slide for travel.

I highly suggest you practice all of these procedures on your coach in a parking area close to help and an internet connection. For instance to access my bedroom slide motors the bed headboard must be removed. 26 screws later I can access the motors.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #15930
Slide Out Manually

Do you have a Freedom Elite?