Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini
State: Louisiana
THOR #13359
2018 Thor Gemini 23TB

Water system.I have developed a problem.When pump was turned on,it kept running, notice water coming out of city water connection. I shut pump down checked filter found full of plastic. Cleaned restarted pump the same result.All help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, sounds like the one way valve at the city/shore water connection is not stopping water flow when you are running on pump from the fresh water tank. That is just like having a water tap open. The water pump will run continuously if it cannot pressurize the high pressure (taps) side of the pump or for other reasons (like air leaking into the low pressure side of the pump; etc). You could try to turn off the pump and use shore water again to see if you can clear any blockages in or near the one way valve at the shore water connection.....then go back to pump water (disconnect your shore water hose and see if water still comes out the shore hose connection on the coach. You might need a new one way valve/shore water connection.
Good that you are checking your filter screen on the low pressure side of the pump. The bits are usually from when Thor cores the fresh water tank for water line connections. Sometimes when the cap is replaced on the filter housing it (or filter body) can leak air or get cracked from over tightening etc.....in which case air gets sucked into the pump and it won't prime or flow properly and will also run continuously.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

THOR #13359
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, sounds like the one way valve at the city/shore water connection is not stopping water flow when you are running on pump from the fresh water tank. That is just like having a water tap open. The water pump will run continuously if it cannot pressurize the high pressure (taps) side of the pump or for other reasons (like air leaking into the low pressure side of the pump; etc). You could try to turn off the pump and use shore water again to see if you can clear any blockages in or near the one way valve at the shore water connection.....then go back to pump water (disconnect your shore water hose and see if water still comes out the shore hose connection on the coach. You might need a new one way valve/shore water connection.
Good that you are checking your filter screen on the low pressure side of the pump. The bits are usually from when Thor cores the fresh water tank for water line connections. Sometimes when the cap is replaced on the filter housing it (or filter body) can leak air or get cracked from over tightening etc.....in which case air gets sucked into the pump and it won't prime or flow properly and will also run continuously.
Thanks,will try tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, I am attaching a simple "generic" RV plumbing schematic that I made for my 2013 ACE. It shows what a typical (basic) RV plumbing layout can look like which might be helpful to new coach owners or folks that just don't know.

Note that there are many variations on RV plumbing systems depending on which coach you have this is just my simple old ACE plumbing system.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

THOR #2631
Lets try that again:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simple RV Plumbing Schematic.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	17722  
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #6

THOR #13359
Thanks. Could not find check valve on the city water side. Traced all lines from pump to manifold which leads to different faucets. I am assuming the check value is in the pump.???
Old 05-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #7

THOR #13359
Found check valve .It was connected to city water inlet. Thanks
Old 05-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

THOR #2631
Hi, glad you found the check valve.....usually it is very close to or part of the city water connection as you found out. Sounds like you are quickly becoming a plumbing expert on your coach.....good. Next time you have a plumbing issue you will know much more about where to look. You can also purchase stand alone check valves (like camco units) cheaply, but then you have to plumb them into the pex line making sure they are installed in the correct direction of flow. There are videos on youtube showing the city water check valve issue as well. Once you repair the valve you should be back in business. If the pump still runs continuously make sure your water filter at the pump is sealed (no leaks- since you did clean the filter). Good job.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #9

THOR #13359
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, glad you found the check valve.....usually it is very close to or part of the city water connection as you found out. Sounds like you are quickly becoming a plumbing expert on your coach.....good. Next time you have a plumbing issue you will know much more about where to look. You can also purchase stand alone check valves (like camco units) cheaply, but then you have to plumb them into the pex line making sure they are installed in the correct direction of flow. There are videos on youtube showing the city water check valve issue as well. Once you repair the valve you should be back in business. If the pump still runs continuously make sure your water filter at the pump is sealed (no leaks- since you did clean the filter). Good job.
Thank You
Old 07-31-2022, 02:07 AM   #10

State: North Carolina
THOR #27522
I also have a water leak issue with my 2017 Gemini 23TB. It is leaking both when the water pump is on. It also leaks when I turn it off and connect the water hose. It appears to be coming through the on demand heater. Anyone had this issue?