Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
This dosent sound like an inverter issue to me. All 3 of my TV's run from an AV controller after the inventor power supply. Since they all turn off at 30 minutes I would look at that AV controller.

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Are you sure your microwave is on the Inverter?

I have a 2018 Outlaw 29H with 3 TV's and the same inverter. Only the TV's are wired to the inverter from the factory. The microwave is not. I know this is a Class A vs Class C but a 1000W Inverter is unpowered for a microwave.... let alone adding 3 TV's to it.

If that is truly the case, there may be a wiring issue and the Inverter is somehow related to your problem.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #23

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Sounds like the inverter is the problem. When on shore/gen power, the inverter operates a internal transfer relay to pass the 120v. Relay operated generates heat and the inverter has a internal fan to keep it cool.
My fan will cycle every once in a while while on shore power.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:59 AM   #24

Model: Windsport
State: Arkansas
THOR #557
Finally got the RV back from the dealer after 3 1/2 weeks.
The explanation for the TVs turning off is that I am supposed to leave the inverter on all the time. ???? What?? I do not believe that explanation at all.
Can anyone convince me that their explanation is correct?

As for the awning, they said the awning had extended out and then rolled back on itself backwards. The fix is to not fully extend the awning. Again, that sounds so ludicrous. The awning doesn't have an automatic stop?.

If anyone has a converter can they tell me if they have to leave it on all the time? Also has anyone had a similar problem with the awning?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 AM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamilton001 View Post
The explanation for the TVs turning off is that I am supposed to leave the inverter on all the time. ???? What?? I do not believe that explanation at all.

As for the awning, they said the awning had extended out and then rolled back on itself backwards. The fix is to not fully extend the awning. Again, that sounds so ludicrous. The awning doesn't have an automatic stop?.

If anyone has a converter can they tell me if they have to leave it on all the time? Also has anyone had a similar problem with the awning?
Thanks
Most awnings do not have an automatic stop.

As for the inverter, if you don't have ac from the generator or shore power you would have to leave it on. Since it has an transfer switch in it (priority given to shorepower/generator) I never bother to turn it off.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 AM   #26

THOR #557
I have shore power but when the inverter is off I lose all three TVs at about the 30 minute mark. It also occurs when running the generator.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #27

THOR #12751
Quote:

Thanks

Maybe I can help.... I created the following post because I am looking to put the refrigerator on the Xantrex inverter with my TV's. I learned a lot by doing a lot of investigation on my own to figure out how Thor wired my rig.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...29h-16975.html

I have a 2018 Outlaw 29H with the Xantrex 1000W inverter that can power 3 TV's. My TV's will work on shore power, the generator or the inverter.

My refrigerator and TV's are on the same circuit.... more or less. Power comes from a 15A breaker to the fridge receptacle from the Power Control Panel. A second set of wires then run from the fridge receptacle back behind the Power Control Panel to a metal junction box. Those wires then splice into the wiring for the AC Input to the inverter. So the 15A receptacle breaker in my rig powers the fridge and then branches off to the AC input for the inverter.

Thor did not follow Xantrex recommended hard wiring installation on my rig. Xantrex recommends running the AC out to a subpanel with it's own 15A breaker. Thor removed the built-in GFCI receptacle and used those wires to run to the TV receptacles. That allowed them to cut costs by using the built-in breaker for the GFCI outlet.

When on shore or generator power, the AC passes through the inverter to the TV's. The if I have no AC power, I can turn the inverter on to power the TV's. If there was an electrical problem with the TV's, it would trip the built-in breaker in the inverter.

Based on how my rig is wired..... if you cannot use your TV's unless the inverter is on, that tells me that there is no AC power going into the inverter and there is only AC power out of the inverter.

The inverter should allow the AC to pass through it even when the inverter is powered off. I would look at the inverter and make sure you see AC wiring into one side of the inverter and out of the other other side of the inverter. If you only see one set of wires, that means they did not wire the AC input as they should have.

If you do see both sets of wires, then you need to trace the AC input wires back towards the Power Control Panel to see if there is a bad connection coming from the Power Control Panel.

On my rig, if I turn off the breaker that is marked "receptacles", I do lose the power in to my inverter..... but I also lose power to my fridge. Yours may be wired a little differently but check to make sure a breaker is not tripped that could be supplying AC into your inverter.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #28

THOR #14384
Quote:
I have shore power but when the inverter is off I lose all three TVs at about the 30 minute mark. It also occurs when running the generator.
Thanks for your reply.
Makes no sense to me however I wonder why are you turning the inverter off?
Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #29

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
Makes no sense to me however I wonder why are you turning the inverter off?
I don't leave my inverter on all the time. The AC passes through the Xantrex 1000 watt when it is off so there is no need to leave it turned on when shore power or the generator will power my TV's.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #30

THOR #557
Apr67,
No real reason to turn the inverter off other than it seems a waste to leave it on when not needed, it has a remote panel located next to the entry door which makes turning on and off very easy.
What worries me is that something maybe mis-wired.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #31

THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I don't leave my inverter on all the time. The AC passes through the Xantrex 1000 watt when it is off so there is no need to leave it turned on when shore power or the generator will power my TV's.
All turning it off does is stop it from using 12v to make AC. All the circuits in the inverter are still on. The fan still cycles as the draw increases (and I have no idea why) even when it is off.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #32

THOR #14384
Quote:
Apr67,
No real reason to turn the inverter off other than it seems a waste to leave it on when not needed, it has a remote panel located next to the entry door which makes turning on and off very easy.
What worries me is that something maybe mis-wired.
I hear you. I would call Xantrex, I think something is wrong with the inverter myself. I assume you have checked the output and input of the inverter when it dies and when its working right? If not it would be interesting to see. You should have AC going in, AC going out and 12v DC going in.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #33

THOR #557
I will check with Xantrex although the dealer said they called both Thor and Xantrex. Not sur that is the case ��
I will do some more resting and do some measurements to see if I can figure this out
Thanks for the everyone's inputs
BTW my inverter is located under the bed but is easy to get access
Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
All turning it off does is stop it from using 12v to make AC. All the circuits in the inverter are still on. The fan still cycles as the draw increases (and I have no idea why) even when it is off.
As I understand it...... because AC passes through the inverter even when it is off, it can still cycle the fan to keep it cool. The ON / OFF switch is primarily used to turn the 12V into the inverter on (no shore power) or off.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:47 AM   #35

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi Rhamilton001, my old post #15 was trying to determine if no 12vdc to the inverter would result in normal operation of your TVs running on shore or gen power. Thought process being that somehow the inverter was the approx 30 minute pulse source for the inverter transfer switch when inverter was turned off, but 12vdc was still connected to it. I did not re-read all posts, but did you ever contact Xantrex with the situation? They may have some explanation for why the inverter might “pulse” its transfer relay under certain conditions.......or maybe they will provide you with a replacement unit to try.

Tags
electrical, tv turns off