Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #4093
Windshield wipers

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 on which the one year warranty recently expired. While driving on the interstate in the rain my wipers suddenly dropped out of sight and were running upside down. I turned them off. Next the passenger side wiper didn't work but the driver side did. I had the passenger side adjusted got back on the road only to have the driver side wiper quit. I managed to get where I was going by pulling over every time it rained so hard I couldn't see. I had an RV tech come out to the campground and he showed me that the splines of the arms and studs are stripped. Also an aluminum rod under the hood was broken in half. The tech told me that this should NOT have gapped on a 2016 coach! He said the whole system needs to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem? I would appreciate your input! I have extended warranty insurance but looking for input before I deal with them. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think that has happened a bit around here (fortunately not to us).

One thing you can do to help a little: Rain-X the windshield, I know its huge, but it works quite well. Just drove ours through some rain last week and had to barely use the wipers.

I know its not a fix for your problem but it can be a bit of a "backup plan".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
$1.00 Wiper Mod.

I did notice the factory nuts were prone to loosen up due to the cone shaped wiper shaft. I did replace the two nuts (see photos) with Nylon Insert Nuts. Have had no issues. This is the first thing I check flip the cover and make sure they are snug. ***If mine were to strip out. I think I would reset the wiper arm with a sm amount off JB Weld just to hold in place then drill an 1/8" hole thru the wiper and stripped shaft then insert cotter pin. Terrible design....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_121112.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	6358   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_121039.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	6359  

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #5240
Thor had a wiper recall on some models. I would check with them because it may be covered.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I took the nuts off, added loctite (red) and reinstalled nuts and have had no issues. I also RainX the entire windshield before leaving home.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I took the nuts off, added loctite (red) and reinstalled nuts and have had no issues. I also RainX the entire windshield before leaving home.
X2! Do a search on wiper recall and there's plenty of info on this.... if you can sort thru the crap.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3954
We are having the same passenger wiper jamming problem with our 2016 Miramar.

There is a lot of slop in the assembly. At first the passenger wiper swings across normally: It ends right in front of my view of the road, but then swings further across until the passenger wiper over-extends and jams the drivers wiper.

The back and forth rod assembly has a lot of play and throws the wiper crank over the top and pulls the wiper down past the windshield.

FYI we’ve had it into dealers four times, including the two recalls, with no fix in sight. Have applied Rain-X to avoid using wipers as much as possible.

Taking it in again to try and get this resolved. For normal rain it’s more a surprise irritation, but in a heavy downpour it can be downright treacherous.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7074
Try using the next size smaller in length wiper blade. That's what I did and travel with a spare.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 on which the one year warranty recently expired. While driving on the interstate in the rain my wipers suddenly dropped out of sight and were running upside down. I turned them off. Next the passenger side wiper didn't work but the driver side did. I had the passenger side adjusted got back on the road only to have the driver side wiper quit. I managed to get where I was going by pulling over every time it rained so hard I couldn't see. I had an RV tech come out to the campground and he showed me that the splines of the arms and studs are stripped. Also an aluminum rod under the hood was broken in half. The tech told me that this should NOT have gapped on a 2016 coach! He said the whole system needs to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem? I would appreciate your input! I have extended warranty insurance but looking for input before I deal with them. Thanks!

I had something very similar happen on mine last year while on vacation. I had the extended warranty so They fixed that and replaced a bad TV for the $200 deductible. I never use mine on high anymore as I am afraid it will happen again. I also use Rejex on the windows so the water runs off, but here in California lately we have no need for wipers! Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7074
Also when lifting up the very end of the wiper arm that exposes the nut on that shaft take that nut off go to the hardware store and get nuts with the nylon insert it will help them from vibrating off and I would put the other 2 in a ziploc baggie in a drawer for a spare if you're on the road somewhere and lose one of the wiper nuts. I totally agree with you.... Wiper system is junk. I Did those 2 things to keep from destroying the whole mechanism while on the road.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:29 AM   #11

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Yeah, without the Rainex the rain just stays on the windshield till they evaporate. With it they slide off to the side
Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3954
Windshield wipers

FYI, believe we finally have the disappearing wiper problem solved.

After some arm wrestling, our Camping World got Thor to cover a new motor assembly, and repair the damaged paint.

We were concerned the replacement was the same unit. However the new assembly is a different part number (0354634) from the original.

The linkage geometry is altered so the passenger wiper doesn’t sweep across as far.

Compared to the original, the wiper stops in the center of the windshield rather than across the driver’s field of view down the road.

This should finally resolve the dreaded disappearing wiper. 🤞🏻
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
KFM

THOR #9919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
My 2017 Thor Challenger had a windshield wiper recall. The wiper on driver side would go past the windshield and get stuck.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFM View Post
My 2017 Thor Challenger had a windshield wiper recall. The wiper on driver side would go past the windshield and get stuck.

Mine too. They also paid for damage to the paint from the windshield wiper.
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote