Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
TWH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25BL
State: Texas
THOR #21779
2019 Thor Chateau Mercedes Sprinter

I have no 12 volts unless it is plugged into shore power. The battery is good and the door step works when not plugged in. Started the generator but no 12 volts. Started the vehicle no 12 volts lights, slide or anything that runs on 12 volts. Only have 12 volts when plugged into shore power. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
I'll mention it but sure you checked the use switch is turned on. If so, do you hear the relay contactor clicking? If so, then I suspect the contactor is bad. If not then it could be the use switch and/or the contactor.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
And welcome to the forum also.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
TWH

THOR #21779
Thanks, The switch is on it is located next to the door below the battery/solar panel display. Turned it on and and off but not hearing a relay. Do you know where the relay maybe located?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Put a charger on those coach batteries, and let them take a good drink...
Old 03-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWH View Post
I have no 12 volts unless it is plugged into shore power. The battery is good and the door step works when not plugged in. Started the generator but no 12 volts. Started the vehicle no 12 volts lights, slide or anything that runs on 12 volts. Only have 12 volts when plugged into shore power. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not a Sprinter expert, so I will defer to more knowledgeable folks on your chassis, but just a few comments while we wait for them......

I don’t believe the Sprinter charge system allows for charging coach batteries from the alternator (unless something has changed that); the generator and hydraulic leveller system motors are usually powered directly from coach batteries through a 100 amp re-settable breaker not the coach disconnect latching relay; the steps run off the chassis battery not coach battery typically. Sounds like your coach disconnect latching relay has failed open or there is an issue on the control wiring for that relay. I would monitor the voltage on your coach batteries until things are repaired, since you “may not be charging from alternator” on this chassis, by design. Maybe they changed things so I stand to learn something, as I always do. Good luck
Old 03-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #7

THOR #17969
Not totally familiar with your coach, but in all other cases the relay is located under the bed in most coaches. Assuming fully charged batteries, if that relay fails open then your battery power will not get to the 12 volt buss of your power panel. There may also be a circuit breaker in line between the batteries and that relay. If that too has tripped or failed you get no power to the panel 12 volt system. If you check the owners section of Thor website and look at your coach schematics they should help you troubleshoot the electrical issue. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mine (a 2019) does charge the coach batteries with rhe alternator...

... But it won't charge the chassis battery from shorepower.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
TWH

THOR #21779
Bob, Thanks, batteries are good just put down the Big Foot levelers. If batteries are not up to snuff then the levelers don't work on my setup.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 03-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #11
TWH

THOR #21779
Javelin, Thanks. Mine charges the coach batteries and chassis batteries through a devise made by Precision Circuits model number BIM 160. Do you know where the disconnect latching relay is located? I have a manual battery disconnect switch located by the front door and there is no power at that switch with shore power or without it.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #12
TWH

THOR #21779
Edensob, Thanks. If I have manual disconnect switch would there also be a relay and/or a breaker?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #13
TWH

THOR #21779
Thanks I didn't know that. The steps run off the chassis battery not coach battery typically.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #14

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
My 2016 24TT, Siesta- The relay is mounted on the wall in the closet behind the Converter. Should hear it operate.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:32 PM   #15

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWH View Post
Javelin, Thanks. Mine charges the coach batteries and chassis batteries through a devise made by Precision Circuits model number BIM 160. Do you know where the disconnect latching relay is located? I have a manual battery disconnect switch located by the front door and there is no power at that switch with shore power or without it.

I will defer to the Sprinter experts on where things are/operation etc., but attaching a document on the BIM 160 FYI. It has a good decriptive of operation.....indicates that both batteries can charge from either SP or alternator, but maybe it depends how they are wired by the Builder? Your issue might simply be a control fuse blown on the signal side of the BIM; not allowing the BIM to operate its coach battery disconnect.......but I don't know your coach specifics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIM Battery-Isolation-Manager-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #16

THOR #17969
You likely have both a circuit breaker and a relay (or BIM) going from the batteries to the power panel. Your electrical diagram will identify what Thor installed in your unit. Location is typically not identified, but a call to them will shed light on the location. Have your unit serial number for the call.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #17
TWH

THOR #21779
Found a bad 12 volt 70 amp breaker between the coach battery and disconnect switch. They had that puppy really hidden in the wiring. LOL
Breaker on mine is located under the step behind the battery.

Thanks guys for all of help.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #18
TWH

THOR #21779
Oh, also I wanted to inform any of you that have the Irvine shades and if it breaks and won't wind-up contact them and they will send you a new spring assembly. Easy fix and they have a u-tube video to show you how to do it.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #19

Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
State: Florida
THOR #13813
Excellent thread. My switch is located behind the circuit breaker panel on my 24sa. I've been told by a service tech. That some people replace them with a manual battery disconnect switch. Contact switch's do go bad.
Thor puts the battery charge relay under the drivers seat. When I got my MH dealer told me MB doesn't allow the engine to charge the coach battery. This is not correct the relay under the drivers seat was bad, had to figure that out myself. FYI if you change to lithium batteries you need to change this to a Li-BIM.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to see that you found and fixed the problem.