Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
DFW

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #14286
2019 Windsport 29M Inverter

We have 1 outlet in the bed base that is active when we use the power inverter. Is that the total number of outlets that will work with the 1000 W inverter?
Can't find any information about this anywhere!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
On my 2017 29m the invertor powers the tvs, outdoor fridge, and plug at the dash, passenger side, work station

I dont think i have any inverted plugs bedside. It would be nice to have to power a cpap

I need to check that

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
We have 1 outlet in the bed base that is active when we use the power inverter. Is that the total number of outlets that will work with the 1000 W inverter?

Can't find any information about this anywhere!
If you log on to Thor's owner portal you can get the schematics for your coach and it will tell you which receptacles are on the inverter. Our 2019 Windsport 34J has 6 televisions, 1 residential refrigerator, and several outlets (1 by passenger seat, 1 in dinette, etc.) that are powered by inverter.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unplug from shore power

turn off the generator

turn the inverter ON

plug in a simple small fan or similar item into each outlet to determine which ones work
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
DFW

State: Massachusetts
THOR #14286
Power Inverter

Thank you so much, we checked the outlets for outside fridge, passenger side outlet by desk area, 3 tvs and all work!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So I took a look at the schematics for my 2018 Outlaw 29H. I know that the Inverter powers the TV's and Radio. That circuit is labeled as 3A on my schematics.

I then noticed the single outlet for the fridge is also labeled 3A. However, when I switch the inverter on the fridge wants to run on gas. The TV's stay powered but it seems like the fridge does not even though the schematics say it is on the 3A circuit.

Either the outlet was wired wrong or the schematics are wrong. Not sure if anyone else has an Outlaw or other Class C where the fridge is powered by the inverter.

I thought about adding another inverter for the fridge or trying to wire it to the inverter circuit. It would be nice not to do either if it is already supposed to run off the inverter.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
So I took a look at the schematics for my 2018 Outlaw 29H. I know that the Inverter powers the TV's and Radio. That circuit is labeled as 3A on my schematics.

I then noticed the single outlet for the fridge is also labeled 3A. However, when I switch the inverter on the fridge wants to run on gas. The TV's stay powered but it seems like the fridge does not even though the schematics say it is on the 3A circuit.

Either the outlet was wired wrong or the schematics are wrong. Not sure if anyone else has an Outlaw or other Class C where the fridge is powered by the inverter.

I thought about adding another inverter for the fridge or trying to wire it to the inverter circuit. It would be nice not to do either if it is already supposed to run off the inverter.
My frig 120 volt supply comes bedroom desk (dressing table) duplex receptacle. This circuit also power the back bed duplex receptacle. The front bed and the bathroom wall (outside), kitchen, outside receptacles are powered by the GFCI in the bathroom. Behind the inverter is a metal junction box that contains the wires for the individual circuits powered by the inverter and pass-through relay. Hope that helps some.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #8

THOR #4735
it's doubtful any coach with an 'rv fridge' will need, or have, an inverter...at least not with the fridge on the same circuit - an rv fridge is designed to run off propane, already, when there is no 120v power to it.
generally, smaller coaches with ancillary inverters are for simply powering a few outlets, such as for a TV and a few outlets to power device chargers, or a cpap machine, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it's doubtful any coach with an 'rv fridge' will need, or have, an inverter...at least not with the fridge on the same circuit - an rv fridge is designed to run off propane, already, when there is no 120v power to it.
generally, smaller coaches with ancillary inverters are for simply powering a few outlets, such as for a TV and a few outlets to power device chargers, or a cpap machine, etc.
On longer trips, a small fridge on an inverter is not a bad idea so as not to burn propane while driving. Not only does it a allow the propane to be shut off (which can be safer when driving) but there would not no drain on the house batteries with the alternator charing.

My schematics for the 2018 Outlaw 29H clearly show the fridge on the same circuit the inverter is supplying but it appears it has not been wired that way.

I know there have been few people on here installing a small inverter to power small fridge's on Class C's and I think it does make sense when driving longer distances.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 AM   #10

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

I have 2017.5 29H and I’m looking at the elec schematics revision 19, dated 12/20/16. 3A does power both fridge and entertainment, but just below the drawings and above the tables, the schematics say “indicates recepts on inverter” with a small black square. You’ll see all the 3A receptacles have this square except the fridge. So the inverter doesn’t power the entire circuit. I would have incorrectly assumed the inverter would power an entire circuit, too. Your observation matches my experience though, that when running on inverter, the fridge instead goes 12v + propane.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #11

THOR #4735
while it's a not a 'bad' idea, if the fridge is not already powered by the onboard inverter, it would not be a simple task to just 'add an inverter' for it, since it has to have power from not only the propane, but also the ATS(auto transfer switch) when you are plugged in or are running the generator.

That would require wiring the inverter output to the Main breaker panel, and the inverter would have to have an internal relay so that it does not interfere when Shore Power or Generator power is available.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
I have 2017.5 29H and I’m looking at the elec schematics revision 19, dated 12/20/16. 3A does power both fridge and entertainment, but just below the drawings and above the tables, the schematics say “indicates recepts on inverter” with a small black square. You’ll see all the 3A receptacles have this square except the fridge. So the inverter doesn’t power the entire circuit. I would have incorrectly assumed the inverter would power an entire circuit, too. Your observation matches my experience though, that when running on inverter, the fridge instead goes 12v + propane.

Thanks!

My schematics are dated 6/22/17 and it does not have the small black square in the table like yours!

After your observation I looked closely and the inverter receptacles have an * next to the 3A and the fridge does not. Unfortunately the tables on my schematic do not mention what the * means but now I can deduce what it means.

Thanks for helping me figure that one out!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
while it's a not a 'bad' idea, if the fridge is not already powered by the onboard inverter, it would not be a simple task to just 'add an inverter' for it, since it has to have power from not only the propane, but also the ATS(auto transfer switch) when you are plugged in or are running the generator.

That would require wiring the inverter output to the Main breaker panel, and the inverter would have to have an internal relay so that it does not interfere when Shore Power or Generator power is available.
You are correct sir!

There was another Outlaw 29H owner on here who did add a separate inverter for the fridge but I was leaning more towards rewiring the outlet.

The TV's would never be used when driving in our case so just having the fridge run would not be too much for the inverter.

And I just looked at the schematics again and assuming they are correct, the TV's and the fridge are on the same 15A circuit. What I need to determine is if the wiring coming out of the inverter is routed to the same area of the power distribution panel before it splits off to the TV's.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Most RV fridges do not work well above 5,000 ft altitude on propane (it is in the manual). We spent a month around Creede, CO (elevation 8,800 ft) last summer and the frig would never light. We had to run the generator the entire time we left Albuquerque until we finally got to a full hookup. This winter I rewired the entire 120 volt system in the coach to include a four circuit inverter sub panel and changed the Xantrex Pro 1000 for a Xantrex Freedom XI 1,800. So far the only propane we have used is for the furnace and the outside grill. There have been some really cool mornings in NW Texas this spring.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote