Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #15250
2020 Electrical problem

After having the coach at Lazy Days for 2 1/2 months, our first trip out since, after setting up and hooking up, i noticed the GFI in the bathroom would not reset. I checked the breakers but nothing was thrown. Later when trying to start the generator, the system was dead. I could only start the generator after starting the motor.
The coach had sat for approx. 2 months prior, and all the batteries were dead, necessitating a jump start. We drove with the generator on for approx. 3 hours to our RV site.
After another 3 hour drive, I again tried to start the generator with the engine off to no avail. Would a direct battery short cause the GFI to not reset?
I am beginning to have my doubts about this brand.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
What model is your 2020?

The GFCI can't be reset unless there is AC power applied to it. Were you plugged into shore power when you tried to reset it? Did you have AC power to the microwave or air conditioners to verify the AC power was working in the coach?

The generator starts using the house batteries. If you were able to start it once the engine was running, that should indicate the following:

1) The 100Amp breaker (used to start the generator) is not tripped

2) The alternator is charging your house batteries (which many coaches will do) so that is a good thing

The GFCI being tripped should not be related to the generator not starting.. but again AC power needs to be on to reset the GFCI.

You should check your house batteries. The manufacturers use low cost batteries that aren't the best. If they have not been properly maintained and the water is below the plates, they could be toast at this point.

You also need to be sure your Use / Store switch is in the USE position when trying to charge the house batteries off shore power or the generator. If the Use / Store switch is in the STORE position, your house batteries won't charge regardless of how long you run the generator or are plugged into shore power.

It would make sense that the Use / Store switch was in the STORE position at the dealer so that there wasn't anything draining them while the coach sat (but the flooded batteries will discharge slowly over time).

If you have an Inverter, it is wired directly to the house batteries. So if it was left on, it would also drain the house batteries.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
go to the breaker box and turn the GFI breaker off then on. Do you have 120 volts on the rig? A/C work? micro work?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I second what judge said. If the house batteries are dead, the use store switch has no power to operate to use position. You must start the rig to get enough power to put the switch in use position. Then either shore power or the generator should charge the house batteries via the converter
Old 06-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #15250
Electrical problems

Thanks for the rapid responses.
I have a 31W Four Winds.
Yes, I was on shore power and the GFI would not reset. The microwave and fridge worked fine.

I will try the GFI breaker.
I too suspect the house batteries. Unfortunately I will have to cut the tie down strap as it passes directly over the battery caps, and am unable to untie.
Apparently the alternator is not charging the house batteries, and I suspect a bad cell. I checked the voltage at the engine battery while running and it was at the correct voltage 14.7.

Thanks again.