Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Dang Judge, sorry to hear you are having issues with the slide again, especially while out on a long trip. Hope you can get it sorted and enjoy the trip.

BTW. Hate too bring it up, but how is the cap holding up after Thor fixed it?

Old 09-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #42

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
One other thing……

After two nights of sleeping on the dinette with the dog, I decided to write a politically correct and carefully crafted note to Bob Martin, Thor Industries CEO.

I have a Premium LinkedIn account that lets me send private messages to people I am not directly connected with through business. If he responds, I will post what I wrote here.

But one of the points I made was the following….

I recommended that he seriously consider creating a Customer Advisory Board made up of new and repeat owners that represents a wide cross-section of the Thor lineup. Then meeting with the CAB every 6 or 12 months that includes him and his senior leadership team for product design, manufacturing and service in order to get direct feedback about quality, workmanship, design and reliability. It is the only way to really to learn about the good, the bad and the ugly. I told him if he wants Thor to grow, have a positive reputation and improve as a company, he needs to listen and learn from his customers… and then act on that feedback.

I also told him as a repeat Thor owner he may noy be able to save me as a customer but considering what I recommended above could help keep current and future customers.

We shall see…..
Old 09-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #43

THOR #12751
2020 Magnitude SV34 Slide Motor Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Dang Judge, sorry to hear you are having issues with the slide again, especially while out on a long trip. Hope you can get it sorted and enjoy the trip.

BTW. Hate too bring it up, but how is the cap holding up after Thor fixed it?

The front cap seems to be holding its own so far. Halfway through the trip and it still looks solid.

My bigger concern now is that the size and weight of the slide may be too much for the LCI Slide Mechanism. It needed to be a hydraulic slide system or the cable system used by some manufacturers.

Based on what MTCamper posted about his slide it looks like we both have the same issue….. and I can tell you it is due to the weight and size of the slide and the torque it takes to move the slide.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:38 AM   #44

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Montana
THOR #17100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That is a great idea! So you were having problems with the motor twisting and turning as well?

Looks to be your rear motor….. just kike mine. I’m afraid that if I have the H-Column replaced it will just happen again because most of the weight is on the back half of the slide.
I have had problems with the slide off & on since we got our SV34 on April Fool's Day 2020 (we signed the papers on Leap Day, Feb. 29th!). On one of the visits to the service dept the tech came up with the idea of putting in the wood blocks to prevent the motors from torking out of position. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I had problems but the motors have stayed in place. On a recent visit there was a Master Tech from Boise Id at my dealer (Bishs in Great Falls MT) doing training & he was brought in for his diagnosis. He determined that the top & bottom cogs were out of sync (from the factory!) by 1 notch-the top was closing slightly before the bottom; thus creating a bind in the whole slide. Since everything had been documented from the start, they submitted a request for an entire assembly (H-track, motors, controller) replacement and I will be taking my coach in next week for replacement. BTW- I have been on several trips since the cause was diagnosed and I have had to use the override mode to extend/retract the slide. While it is inconvenient, I have not had any issues. The motors stay in sync (I hold the button for several seconds to correct sync issues). I hope this corrects the problem-like you I love everything about this coach but don't want to hold my breath on every trip.
Lastly, I read your idea of creating an owners advisory council for Thor. That is an excellent idea! I have owned a couple of franchises and been on their advisory boards and i can tell you there is power in numbers!
Good luck on your slide issues-I hope you can get them resolved so you can concentrate on your travelogue! We all enjoy following your adventures and documentary. Having lived around these NP's all my life I realize I have taken things for granted & it is refreshing to re-live it thru someone else.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #45

THOR #12751
So someone posted about the Vroom Slide System as a direct replacement for Swintek Slide Systems over in my 7-Week Trip Blog so I thought I would keep people updated in this thread.

I sent them a message on Thursday but didn't hear back anything yet so I tried to call yesterday when we got back to the coach. They are open from 7:00AM - 3:00PM (Tucson Time).

I am going to call and speak to the owner (Brian) on Monday morning to learm more about his system and cost. If I think it is a good approach to replacing the Thor 3Trax System, I am going to see if they could install their system in my SV34 on October 4. From what I have read on their website and one review, I like what I see so far.

We will be wrapping up our scheduled trip in South Dakota and could get down to Tucson by October 3. It is supposed to take a day to install the system so I would hang out in Tucson for a couple days to give them enough time and to also put it through its paces to make sure it works as designed. I'd rather do it now while I am already halfway across the country and also be ready for next season.

The way I look at it is I am going to have to pay to probably have the rear H-Column Replaced and I think this will be a recurring problem. I would rather only pay once.... even if it costs more.... to have a reliable slide system for a full-wall slide.

They make all of their own components so no Chinese junk to worry about. I did find some pictures online with some of the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 8.10.09 AM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	33738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 8.10.24 AM.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	33739  

Old 09-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #46
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Thanks Judge, I also sent them an email the other day, but have not heard back yet. Please let Brian (owner of Vroom) know that there are several of us very interested in his system and want more information.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #47

THOR #12751
Will do……

If the front cap repair holds and I can find a reliable slide mechanism to replace the Thor 3-Crapx system, I think we will keep the coach.

I think the F-550 is as a reliable chassis as they come…. and no DEF Head issues. The front cap and slide are the two major structural pieces so of they get fixed properly, I should be able to handle the rest.

I really hope I like what I hear and he could take me 2 weeks from Monday.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #48

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Good luck...remember kurts repair in billings

Let us know if you head to Tucson..I lived in AZ 20 years.
Will be there in January..

You may save us all!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:22 AM   #49

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Judge, I just had a two month wait for parts on my XG-32. I finally got it back and the slide did about what yours did. I reset the controller to manual but still didn't get it to go out.

The dealer was going to send me instructions on how to set the stops but hasn't sent the email yet. Do you know where I can get those instructions.

By the way, the whole underframe on my main slide was twisted. I can't imaging how that is even possible.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:29 AM   #50

THOR #12751
My connectivity is limited at my curreny stop. No AT&T or Verizon coverage anf thr camp WiFi is under repair.

I had about a 30-minute call today with Brian at Vroom Slide Systems. Great guy and easy to talk with and leatn about his system.

His first release of his Scwintek Replacement uses the existing motors and controller. However the motors are modified so they can be bolted into the gear box of his redesigned solution.

He has a compant in Canada building a better controller now. He is also building heavy duty wiring harnesses as well. He is getting new motors from Taiwan (same place as LCI) that are being built with the better motor mount at the factory.

He also says his system can allow for the 300:1 motor… even with bigger slides. He said this will allow the slide to be pushed in should a failure occur and it will extend and retract faster. The 500:1 can still be used.

Brian will take me on October 4th to fix my slide and use my existing controller and modify my motors. But he recommended waiting for his controller and wiring harnesses.

Unfortunately like everyone else he is having supplier issues.

I am going to sleep on it but I may have him install his system in two weeks instead of heading back after our trip. Then when I am down that way for the Balloon Festival this time next year, I may have him install his Controller and wiring harnesses.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:39 AM   #51

THOR #20220
If you can wait I would get his new system.
Did he give a cost difference?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 09-21-2021, 02:41 AM   #52

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
If you can wait I would get his new system.
Did he give a cost difference?

He said his system using the existing controller would be reliable and work fine but his new controller will have more intelligence and the wiring harness will better hold up to the slide motion.

The price is the same. I’d offer to pay for the controller and wiring harnesses when I come back down to havr it retrofitted.

The issue for me is that I can be in Tucson in two days from here vs 4 days from Pittsburgh and making a special trip.

My slide mechanism needs repaired before next season and then I will be down that way next year for the ballon festival and can have him add the new controller and wiring harnesses. It would be cheaper than the extea diesel and tooks for a special trip to Tucson. And at this point cost does not matter…. fixing it the right way does.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:54 AM   #53

THOR #20220
Good deal..sounds like now it is
Keep us posted..
This may save many of us
Old 09-21-2021, 03:20 AM   #54

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Hey Judge - Let us know if you decide to go to Tucson - We’ll buy you a cocktails two, I owe you… We are in Fountain Hills (Phoenix area). Our 2021 Mag-SV34 is at La Mesa RV having the slide worked on as we speak.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:38 AM   #55

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Judge what is the cost? I presume you only talking about the big full wall slide. I have 2 and the design is the same although the bigger one has 3 tracks as opposed to 2 on the bedroom smaller slide.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:06 AM   #56

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks Jerry.....

On my Magnitude I don't have to remove any trim. I only need to pull down the seal to access the motor. I saw a piece of metal behind the seal where I might be able to drill a hole and put a screw in to secure the motor.

I do like your idea of a rubber grommet. I just worry about getting the hole perfectly aligned to drill through the slide so it is right on top of the screw.

Thor could easily drill a hole, seal the circumference of it and then put a plug in that could be removed to access the screw if needed. It would be such a small design change but make such a big difference in serving the slide if it a motor dies when it is closed.
Thanks Judge. I had my son bring a bore scope and we looked at the motor and it is spinning. The cables look all twisted too. Since this is my first time using the slide after General RV fixed it, I’m wondering if someone forgot to secure it.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #57

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
Thanks Judge. I had my son bring a bore scope and we looked at the motor and it is spinning. The cables look all twisted too. Since this is my first time using the slide after General RV fixed it, I’m wondering if someone forgot to secure it.
Just me but I always operate a system that's been in for repair before I leave the shop. I've learned not to put too much trust in their ability to properly fix something. I hate getting away from the repair place, use a system and find it's still not right. Just like a PDI, use/test everything you can, multiple times.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #58

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Hey Judge - Let us know if you decide to go to Tucson - We’ll buy you a cocktails two, I owe you… We are in Fountain Hills (Phoenix area). Our 2021 Mag-SV34 is at La Mesa RV having the slide worked on as we speak.
Will do!

I'm 99% sure I'm going to divert to Tuscon when our trip ends next week. I will know more later today hopefully.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #59

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
It is possible they forgot the setscrew.... or it did not go through the slot in the top of the motor when they installed it.... or it just failed.

My motor is moving and spinning and the screw is still installed. The screw head is actually bent downwards now and I can't get it out. It goes through a piece of aluminum on the H-column and it can bend from all of the torque. I have the motor chained down now but I can still see it moving around.

In talking with the owner of Vroom Slide Systems, he said this is a common failure where the screw will come out, strip or the amount of torque just causes it to strip or bend the aluminum.

He had bought a Tiffin Class A with the LCI Schwintek system and the same things happened to him on two slides during a trip to Alaska. After talking with Tiffin and LCI, they told him this is the way the system is and they have no other options. That prompted him to design a better system.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #60

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Judge what is the cost? I presume you only talking about the big full wall slide. I have 2 and the design is the same although the bigger one has 3 tracks as opposed to 2 on the bedroom smaller slide.

The cost is $2500 and I don't think the size of the slide matter much. I think his price is very reaosnable when you consider parts and labor. If it was under $5000, I was going to do it..... from a price decision point its a no-brainer. You can spend $2000 - $3000 to have the LCI system fixed every time it fails.

The owner is a Mechanical Engineer and owns an Engineering and Manufacturing company so he knows his stuff.

He said the 3Trax vs the standard Scwintek slide makes no difference. They use the same parts and it is the same design. They just tried to overcome its weakness on big sldes by adding one more track and then a big marketing ploy that the 3Trax was better. It still has all of the same deisgn flaws and weaknesses prone to failure.

He tried to pitch his system to Tiffin, Thor and other RV manufacturers and they all said the same thing..... "No one is going to pay $2500 more for a coach because of the slide system."

The Scwintek system costs the RV manufacturers about $1000 so it would only be $1500 more in reality.

There are certainly lots of people who only buy based on price but there are also smarter cosumers. I told him that I would have paid $5000 - $10000 more for my SV34 if it was built better and didn't have all the issues I have had to deal with the past two years.

He is talking to a guy out in Connecticut who may become an authorized installer for him on the east coast. I will keep everyone posted as I learn more.