Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 01:26 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
hi 2020 vegas I see 1 tire valve in the rear how do I check both tires?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #22

Model: 23U
State: Colorado
THOR #15965
My Thor Chateau 23U calls for 75psi on the fronts and 65psi on the rears. Never had any issues with ride or tires at these pressures. I check/service them cold every day before driving.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Tire pressure

I agree with 16ACE. Weigh it and adjust accordingly. My weights work out to less than the minimum weights for increase in pressure. So they are all at the lowest pressure recommended which is 80psi for my ACE 30.3.
Loaded with 1/2 water, fuel, full propane, food clothes, everything else except the granddaughter and it weighs 6,140 lbs steer axle, 10,120 rear axle for a total of 16,260 lbs. The wife was outside at the time.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdole View Post
I had it weighed today. Full gas, full fresh tank, packed for trip nothing in grey/black though. Weight was much less than expected. 4000 front and 6820 rear, 10820 total. Looking at the chart, factoring in an extra 10% puts front around 65 and rear at 50-55 psi. That’s odd to me as I know airing down that low would cause the tires to touch sitting for sure at cold. I’m just going to run 70-75ish rear and 65 front and be done with it. No way am I going to run 50-55 psi on those things. 65 looked bad enough.

My Class C was roughly the same size and weight, with tires the same size but Load Range D, so I could only go up to a maximum of 65 PSI if I recall correctly. I never worried about tires touching, not even with tongue weight of a trailer. For what it’s worth, I never had a tire problem with it.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Cool Rear Tire rub ?

Hello to all !

I own a Thor Chateau, 22E at 12,500 pds with 16 inch tires. Very close to a Four Winds if you look at the total weight and such. The Tire inflating sticker in the front driver side door says : 75 pounds in the front and 65 in the back.

Now I know 75 pds makes it a "bouncy ride" for the steering portion, but I dont see how the 65 pounds in the rear would be an issue since, as others have mentionned, they turn at the same speed and even by touching somewhat in out of normal situations, they would not be much "rubbing" against each other. I agree, my rig also has a close gap between the rear tires. Never read or heard about tire blowout and such because of the close build of these rear tires.

Also, look at other rig and compare !

The only way is to follow-up regularly on tire pressure and wear to find out ! And yes, anywhere from 65 to 80 pounds is the proper starting and end point.

Hope you find the proper setting you are looking for, the tire manufacturer should be able to guide you with this.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Quote:
Totally understand this and plan to do it. But that doesn’t really address my concern with the tires almost touching. Is that normal? I didn’t notice much bulge difference between 66 and 80. I don’t think increasing the pressure will help much is my concern.

The manufacturer picks the rim offset mounting center to rim distance to suit the tire choice. If you change tire size or inflation too far the distance gets too close. If the tires "Kiss" as they are going down the road they build up excessive temperature and pressure because of the heat build up and can prematurely fail. There are charts to decide which rim fits which tire for spacing, I've been retired about 20 years but if they still look you should find the tables at rma.com or look up Rubber Manufactures Association or NTDRA

These used to be where standards were produced when I was in the tire manufacturing business. Don't let those tires kiss or rub together as you're going down the road from flex or any other reason.

Good luck finding a solution and please tell us what you find.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #27

Model: Chateau (22E)
State: Colorado
THOR #19060
I think adding more pressure wont fix the buldge and your rig will bounce around a bit more !
Quote:
Have a brand new coach. Have been back and forth with Thor and various forums on proper tire pressure. Both the door jam sticker and Thor say use 65 psi front and rear. The overall majority online think the cold max load on the tire should be applied which is 80 all around for my tires LT225/75R16E S. I received the coach from the dealer with 80 in all the tires and that’s what they also recommended. I decided the bring them all down to 66 psi which led me to the next issue. The coach is empty sitting in storage with empty tanks. I took these pics after deflating to 66 psi. The tires are very close to touching at the bottom where they bulge. Obviously the less pressure in the tire, the more bulge decreasing the space between the tire. Should I inflate to the max tire load? Will a brand new Thor motor coach with brand new tires already require wheel spacers? Am I being completely oc here and is this amount of space between the duel tires normal? I can’t help but think bouncing around at interstate speeds will cause rubbing and possibly a blowout. I also doubt inflating to 80 psi would make much difference but it’s worth a shot I guess.. Any advice appreciated. Attachment 26516Attachment 26517
Old 10-11-2020, 03:24 AM   #28

Model: Four Winds 24HL
State: Arizona
THOR #8868
I would be very hesitant to put 80 psi in your tires. The tires have a load range of E1, assuming I have looked up thee correct tire. The maximum air pressure for load range E1 is 80 psi. Tire pressure is measured cold, 15 psi rise is not uncommon when the tire is hot. Here in Arizona tire temperature can easily get to 150 degrees. Think about what the tire pressure would be if the cold pressure was 80 psi. Stick with the manufacture specifications.
Georger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Europe
THOR #7351
Quote:
I had it weighed today. Full gas, full fresh tank, packed for trip nothing in grey/black though. Weight was much less than expected. 4000 front and 6820 rear, 10820 total. Looking at the chart, factoring in an extra 10% puts front around 65 and rear at 50-55 psi. That’s odd to me as I know airing down that low would cause the tires to touch sitting for sure at cold. I’m just going to run 70-75ish rear and 65 front and be done with it. No way am I going to run 50-55 psi on those things. 65 looked bad enough.
With my made extra safe calculator, it comes to 65 psi front and 60 psi rear.

Is your spacing the 10.2, have you measured it, mayby I overread it . If not its a construction error, and mayby spacers are available .

Looked back and 10.2 inch is from middle to middle tire.
8.7 inch is overall width, so you have to measure 10.2 minus 8.7 is 1.5 inch between the tires. If less , contact the maker of the motorhome.
Is your sise the OEM sise?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #30

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georger View Post
I would be very hesitant to put 80 psi in your tires. The tires have a load range of E1, assuming I have looked up thee correct tire. The maximum air pressure for load range E1 is 80 psi. Tire pressure is measured cold, 15 psi rise is not uncommon when the tire is hot. Here in Arizona tire temperature can easily get to 150 degrees. Think about what the tire pressure would be if the cold pressure was 80 psi. Stick with the manufacture specifications.
Tire sidewall flex is the primary source and reason tires increase in temperature

Starting with cold inflation at a higher psig will result in a cooler tire and less of a psig increase as ambient temperatures increase while driving

Tire manufacturers have factored in the psig increase as temperatures increase

Most Tire failures are due to low inflation based on load