Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snks View Post
Hi,
I have a 2020 Thor 29j outlaw motorhome with a Norcold N7X fridge that since new intermittently shuts off with a five blinking trouble code. The code says the burner was on when it was not suppose to be. But after replacing many parts with no luck they recently put a brand new fridge in it to fix it and it’s still doing it.
The last trip out it went out over 20 times in four days.
I just checked it and it doesn’t appear level although I’m not sure if that could be the issue. Either the self leveling is off or the fridge is not level.
The dealer and Thor don’t seem to know what it is and it’s due back to the dealer in a couple days. They are going to look at the propane hoses. It has a good flame and supposedly the gas pressure at the gas valve checked out.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
This may not help but absorption fridges are crap even when they work right. I had one that worked fine but the wife could smell propane exhaust when we would boon dock. Had J.C. Refrigeration in Indania replace the back side of our Norcold N611 with a 12v model with a real compressor like one in your home. It works great!!! Cools down the fridge from 80 degrees to 38 degrees in 3 hours. Not cheap but you won't regret it. Plus no fire hazard or fumes to deal with!!! Bob & Wendy Trice

Old 05-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #22

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Thinking about it more....all of the other propane appliances demand a higher flow of propane than the refrigerator. Perhaps the regulator or line somewhere has enough restriction that only a really low flow is impaired. It doesn’t really make much sense though and since your fridge does work some of the time on propane a simple blocked line seems unlikely. If it’s not the flex line in the slide I think I’d look more closely at the regulator. Maybe it’s defective or has water in it or something.
I would agree maybe the regulator being the problem. Regulators are inexpensive to try and test with.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sooo...I wonder if there’s been any resolution to this interesting problem? Haven’t heard anything from the OP in a while.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #24

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Sooo...I wonder if there’s been any resolution to this interesting problem? Haven’t heard anything from the OP in a while.
I agree, if you solve the problem or any problem it would be nice if they closed out the issue with a solution so as to help everyone.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:16 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor class c outlaw
State: California
THOR #18162
Quote:
Hello,
I just got the motorhome back. The dealer said they are unable to duplicate the intermittent five code shut down on their lot. Which was very mild overcast temps in Santa Fe Springs, Ca.and close to sea level. The very frequent intermittent shut downs were occurring at 2700 ft and temps were in the 80’s. Some wind but at times not windy. It has shut down with the same five code flash many more times and at other places.

So I told them and emailed Thor six videos of it off with the code flashing. So they agreed to replace the regulator.

I just looked at the upper vent and I have a couple of questions on how it’s boxed in and vented. I will put some pictures in the next couple posts.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:19 PM   #26

THOR #18162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
I agree, if you solve the problem or any problem it would be nice if they closed out the issue with a solution so as to help everyone.
Hi,
I just replied above as I got the motorhome back a couple days ago.

I only hope it would be solved but I’m totally unsure. Please read the post above.

Thank you guys for responding. Pictures next post.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:31 PM   #27

THOR #18162
So the very thin plywood that boxes in to make the upper wall vent looks a bit just thrown together.

There also appears to be a temperature sensor in the upper area of the fins. I wonder if the plywood is cut too high or to low it is also fairly close to the fins. Can anyone confirm if this looks correct or have a picture of their side vent fridge to compare.

If the plywood is cut too high wouldn’t that cause a potential to overheat and the temperature sensor also shown in the pics shut the fridge down while on propane.

I’m not sure why the pics are sideways.

Thanks, Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B5DF57A-0577-46F0-A7CB-3BF2CAE8834A.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	30963   Click image for larger version

Name:	888260D7-E4E5-4543-9326-350668E31F22.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	30964  

Name:	3852E979-9F27-457A-A4C3-64010F72FB63.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	30965   Click image for larger version

Name:	460F1B4A-63C1-46D2-A98F-3060F1391646.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	30966  

Old 05-29-2021, 11:38 PM   #28

THOR #18162
Is the plywood height correct for proper venting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9B483194-2A6F-4617-9363-AE9EB26E3165.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	30968  
Old 05-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #29

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Cuz you take the pics sideways.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:09 AM   #30

THOR #16471
See page 9 in the installation manual. It talks about using a fan when a upper wall side vent is used. Also shows the proper installation. What you want is for the natural air flow to go through the bottom and top coils which requires it being close to the wall or baffles installed.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:16 AM   #31

THOR #16471
The manual I posted is a little screwy in the codes for the number of flashes 'seen'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Norcold_N7X.png
Views:	51
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	30974  
Old 05-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #32

THOR #18162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
See page 9 in the installation manual. It talks about using a fan when a upper wall side vent is used. Also shows the proper installation. What you want is for the natural air flow to go through the bottom and top coils which requires it being close to the wall or baffles installed.
Thank you for posting the installation instructions. I printed them out and it appears the plywood baffle is not cut correctly. It is suppose to be a 1/4” below the bottom of the condenser. It is 3/4” above it and there is a sensor in the pics that is likely tripping as it could get too hot.
I will send the pictures to Thor and see what they say. Luckily it’s easy fix.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
So the very thin plywood that boxes in to make the upper wall vent looks a bit just thrown together.

There also appears to be a temperature sensor in the upper area of the fins. I wonder if the plywood is cut too high or to low it is also fairly close to the fins. Can anyone confirm if this looks correct or have a picture of their side vent fridge to compare.

If the plywood is cut too high wouldn’t that cause a potential to overheat and the temperature sensor also shown in the pics shut the fridge down while on propane.

Thanks, Steve
If it doesn't overheat on AC it won't overheat on propane. The same heat is required to make the fridge work, the only difference is the source of the heat.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:35 PM   #34

THOR #18162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If it doesn't overheat on AC it won't overheat on propane. The same heat is required to make the fridge work, the only difference is the source of the heat.
Well it’s been to the dealer so many times with the same issue and not getting fixed. The least they could do is be sure about following the instructions and going from there. Look over the whole thread this is the second fridge with the same problem. About anything else has been accounted for but the regulator and the venting.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:09 AM   #35

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Fridge vent cooling fan...
I don’t have one of these but others on the Forum have installed similar
Also, some use the small box, battery powered, cooling fan to circulate the absorption fridge internal air.
I will tell you that the DC12v powered dual fans are the way to go. They keep the entire box cold and are worth the small price. I had my Norcold N611 gas/electric system replaced with a 12v system with a residential type compressor installed by J.C. Refrigeration in Indiana and it's the best upgrade I have done on my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m, and I've done A LOT OF UPGRADES!!!!!
Old 06-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #36

THOR #16471
Quote:
Thank you for posting the installation instructions. I printed them out and it appears the plywood baffle is not cut correctly. It is suppose to be a 1/4” below the bottom of the condenser. It is 3/4” above it and there is a sensor in the pics that is likely tripping as it could get too hot.
I will send the pictures to Thor and see what they say. Luckily it’s easy fix.
I was looking at the wire schematic on page 20 in the owners manual and it shows where an optional condenser fan (*F) could be wired in. There is also an optional freezer blower (*S) that I have not heard of before.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #37
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I was looking at the wire schematic on page 20 in the owners manual and it shows where an optional condenser fan (*F) could be wired in. There is also an optional freezer blower (*S) that I have not heard of before.
Doesn't apply to me with a residential fridge, however, over on the Jayco forum some folks are posting about swapping out the boards in their Norcolds to make them more efficient especially in warmer climates such as the Southwest.

Here is a link. to the thread. as stated Doesn't apply to me so I'm not sure whether or not it is relevant to you.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ent-87287.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:51 PM   #38

THOR #18162
So here is some good news so far. I just came back from a trip from the desert floor around 2500ft. to the mountains around 7,000 ft. and it didn’t shut off once.
So might it have been the regulator? I am hoping it’s fixed for good.

But the biggest shut downs where when camped it the high desert. It won’t be some time before I get out there to see as it’s too hot to camp out there.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:15 AM   #39

THOR #18162
Thought I would post after a couple of years later. Somehow the fridge stays on now and worked it’s bugs out. I did find a tiny leak at the fitting for the regulator the dealer replaced. I don’t think that was the issue that caused the fridge to go out.

I think it may have been something in the propane line that worked it’s way through.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:42 PM   #40

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Thought I would post after a couple of years later. Somehow the fridge stays on now and worked it’s bugs out. I did find a tiny leak at the fitting for the regulator the dealer replaced. I don’t think that was the issue that caused the fridge to go out.

I think it may have been something in the propane line that worked it’s way through.
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm late to the discussion but I've read the whole thread, what a saga. Since you're happy with your rig and still having on, allow me to add a suggestion. This YouTube RV tech does a great job of teaching while showing his fixes. This one is for adding a baffle for better airflow and better efficiency. This is the way the factory SHOULD HAVE done it. (I can't find the "link" button)
https://youtu.be/DxUnW7gudEE
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote