Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2022, 01:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
2020 Vegas battery replacement ?,

Hi coach sat 2 months coach battery at 11.7.
It starts fine may replace.
What good batteries are recommended for this coach ?
Thanks

Old 12-15-2022, 01:51 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #24400
Battery Replacement

We replaced the Pb acid batteries in our 2021 Axis 24.1 with Battleborn Li batteries. They are not cheap, but the battery life increase is well worth it.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:50 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If you need the extra capacity of Li batteries, then do it. But they require changing out the charger as well as upgrading to a Li BIM 225.

If 200 total Ah with 100 usable (and you can discharge deeper once in a while) then a pair of 100 Ah (each) G31 AGMs will work well and just fits in the battery box.

What is this about starting? You did say coach (house) batteries.

David
Old 12-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #4

THOR #20220
Thanks guys. I had it on solar and coach fine and chassis was 11.7. I plugged in and both look fine ..maybe coach battery ok. Coach is 2020 but built in 2019 and batteries never changed ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221215_125736_RVMaster.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	40365  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 12:20 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Hello, I may be confused, but not sure if it is clear which battery(s) you were asking to replace?

I think you are wanting to find out good Chassis battery for the coach? If so what was / are the OEM specs for it?

I think your House (Coach) battery are the vMax Tanks? If so; are they ok? You said Coach thus my confusion.

I have no solar, and purposely leave unplug but only about 4 weeks before I have to use it for something.

I would like to know a good Chassis battery as well, but the longer I go, the more I think when time to replace I will add another FLA battery. I have had ZERO issues with my 3 year old Chassis battery. No corrosion and no watering. In fact, I even have my Cat Converter alarm system wired to my Chassis battery.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 04:16 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I’ve still got the original Motorcraft chassis battery. The chassis is a 2016.
All is good today (knock on wood!).

I think when it’s time to change (maybe even do it as a precaution in next 6mo)…
I’ll stay with the same Motorcraft from Ford.

That is, I have FLA House Batteries, so FLA in chassis is best for my needs.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:46 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I’ve still got the original Motorcraft chassis battery. The chassis is a 2016.
All is good today (knock on wood!).

I think when it’s time to change (maybe even do it as a precaution in next 6mo)…
I’ll stay with the same Motorcraft from Ford.

That is, I have FLA House Batteries, so FLA in chassis is best for my needs.
My Chassis is 2018 and with the OEM Motorcraft. Next year when it hit 5 years old; I will replace anyway. I am not trying to see how long it will last before it dies Never had a battery quit on me at the right time. Most of the time very cold and I had somewhere important to go. Hard to get the Motorcraft Batteries on sale, I tend to buy the Wal Mart Ever Start batteries for replacements. They are all over the place, can't beat the warranty, and always on sale. I might look for Maintenance Free FLA, I like the green indicator that tells you the battery is still good.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-16-2022, 05:27 AM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Hello, I may be confused, but not sure if it is clear which battery(s) you were asking to replace?

I think you are wanting to find out good Chassis battery for the coach? If so what was / are the OEM specs for it?

I think your House (Coach) battery are the vMax Tanks? If so; are they ok? You said Coach thus my confusion.

I have no solar, and purposely leave unplug but only about 4 weeks before I have to use it for something.

I would like to know a good Chassis battery as well, but the longer I go, the more I think when time to replace I will add another FLA battery. I have had ZERO issues with my 3 year old Chassis battery. No corrosion and no watering. In fact, I even have my Cat Converter alarm system wired to my Chassis battery.
Hi the chassis battery but plugged in sp it looks fine.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-16-2022, 05:29 AM   #9

THOR #20220
Quote:
My Chassis is 2018 and with the OEM Motorcraft. Next year when it hit 5 years old; I will replace anyway. I am not trying to see how long it will last before it dies Never had a battery quit on me at the right time. Most of the time very cold and I had somewhere important to go. Hard to get the Motorcraft Batteries on sale, I tend to buy the Wal Mart Ever Start batteries for replacements. They are all over the place, can't beat the warranty, and always on sale. I might look for Maintenance Free FLA, I like the green indicator that tells you the battery is still good.
If goes down again will look into
Old 12-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
If goes down again will look into
If it saying it is fully charged, run a load test on it and you know for sure. If you don't have a tester most any auto parts store or wal mart will test for free and give you a report.

With that said IMO, 4 to 5 years on any engine battery is enough especially for some as active as you. I think all new batteries are good, when they fail; it is due to misuse, neglect or simply normal failure due to age. So as long as you got the battery that meets or exceeds specifications and your requirements i.e. cold cranking amps and rated AHs you cannot go wrong.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
If it saying it is fully charged, run a load test on it and you know for sure. If you don't have a tester most any auto parts store or wal mart will test for free and give you a report.

With that said IMO, 4 to 5 years on any engine battery is enough especially for some as active as you. I think all new batteries are good, when they fail; it is due to misuse, neglect or simply normal failure due to age. So as long as you got the battery that meets or exceeds specifications and your requirements i.e. cold cranking amps and rated AHs you cannot go wrong.
Great point I have a charger to test. Started right up at 11.7. Rather not change
Old 12-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Just got back from Sam's Club... I always check their battery display rack. Prices are up about 25% overall in two years time. I'll bet they blame "supply chain issues".
Old 12-17-2022, 07:25 PM   #13

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Just got back from Sam's Club... I always check their battery display rack. Prices are up about 25% overall in two years time. I'll bet they blame "supply chain issues".
Wt! 25% read many folks happy with I think sealed water battery from walmart?
Old 12-17-2022, 07:49 PM   #14

THOR #13362
Motorcraft BXT65-850:
$149.99 @ Ford
$199.99 @ O’Reillys

Walmart Maxx has same specs for $119.99
Old 12-17-2022, 08:12 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Motorcraft BXT65-850:
$149.99 @ Ford
$199.99 @ O’Reillys

Walmart Maxx has same specs for $119.99
I only have BXT65-750

I can buy my OEM from O Reillys for $179 https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c.../mot2/bxt65750

That price is not bad to me. But if my battery was dead right now or 5 years old right now, I would buy this AGM from Wal Mart for $169 and call it a day. 4 year warranty and Wal Mart (peace of mind although ZERO issues with my Motorcraft )

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...-CCA/841832089
Old 12-17-2022, 08:59 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I only have BXT65-750

But if my battery was dead right now or 5 years old right now, I would buy this AGM from Wal Mart for $169 and call it a day. 4 year warranty and Wal Mart (peace of mind although ZERO issues with my Motorcraft )

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...p&athbdg=L1600
Wrong battery. You need a group 65 battery, not H6. This is your battery:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Wrong battery. You need a group 65 battery, not H6. This is your battery:

Thanks I corrected my post and put that battery in my cart for future.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #18

THOR #13362
This is what’s in my E450 now…
BXT65-850
Came from Ford as OEM
Old 12-17-2022, 11:22 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
This is what’s in my E450 now…
BXT65-850
Came from Ford as OEM
Same size but more cranking amps than the 2018 / 2019 F-53 Chassis that came with my coach. Per above, for $169; I just assume upgrade to AGM & no maintenance. 4 year replacement warranty at Wal Mart is very attractive to me. I checked and that battery is in stock at all of the Wal Marts near me
Old 12-17-2022, 11:59 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
I only have BXT65-750

I can buy my OEM from O Reillys for $179 https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c.../mot2/bxt65750

That price is not bad to me. But if my battery was dead right now or 5 years old right now, I would buy this AGM from Wal Mart for $169 and call it a day. 4 year warranty and Wal Mart (peace of mind although ZERO issues with my Motorcraft )

Good deal need to somehow see my battery size specs