Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 12:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass TW
State: Wisconsin
THOR #21076
2021 Compass TW RATTLES like Crazy.

Good day all. Just picked up our 2021 Compass TW and I am amazed the amount of rattles the interior has. Is this normal? I have located a few and dealt with them. I think one of the major rattles is coming from the TV area that is mounted above the coach door. It seems to bounce around a bit. Does anyone know how to remove the TV to inspect the mount area behind it. Any suggestions on dealing with the rattles would be much appreciated. All of the drawers and cabinets are empty so I know that’s not the problem.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:26 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Almost 50 years ago while a young airman I was assigned to a tow crew on a fighter jet flightline. I was surprised how noisy the F-4 was just being towed across the ramp. It groaned, moaned, squeaked and rattled as it rolled along. But that Phantom could fly at twice the speed of sound. When I bought my first motorhome 40 years ago it was also noisy as it rolled down the back roads of the Southeastern US. Some of it was from the assembly, some of it was from how we loaded it. We learned to fix the factory squeaks and reposition our belongings to minimize the interior noise.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I hate to say it but get used to the noise, they all squeak and rattle to some degree. I would however go over all the screws and nuts and bolts on the coach make sure they are tight. You may find screws that were over torqued and stripped out not holding things tightly. The guys that build these things don't know what the clutch on the drill is for.
Also we keep rubber insulation tape and a package of small bungee cords in our coach to address squeaks and rattles. The tape can be used to wedge between surfaces that are binding and the bungees can hold curtain rods or other items that rattle.
Good luck and enjoy the journey
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:13 AM   #4

Model: Compass TW
State: Wisconsin
THOR #21076
Thanks for the advice. This coach has more rattles than Black River Falls has pine trees. I don’t know if I can turn the radio up loud enough. I guess I keep dealing with them one at a time. I would like to know how to remove the TV above the coach door to see if the mount is loose. It seems to be by far the worst rattle.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:28 AM   #5

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
There's a thread at https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...way-25137.html discussing this.
And another one with photos at https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...gas-19111.html
Old 03-10-2021, 01:45 AM   #6

Model: Gemini
State: Oregon
THOR #21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Good day all. Just picked up our 2021 Compass TW and I am amazed the amount of rattles the interior has. Is this normal? I have located a few and dealt with them. I think one of the major rattles is coming from the TV area that is mounted above the coach door. It seems to bounce around a bit. Does anyone know how to remove the TV to inspect the mount area behind it. Any suggestions on dealing with the rattles would be much appreciated. All of the drawers and cabinets are empty so I know that’s not the problem.
I have a 2021 Gemini and one of the big rattles came from the stovetop cover (the glass one). Tried a bunch or things (rubber spacers...) that did not work so we put a hand towel under it for now and that seems to work. At some point I will forget and slam it down and it will shatter and my problem will be solved
Old 03-10-2021, 02:10 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Try driving your house down the road... Imagine what that would sound like.
Just keep tracking them down; you can make a difference!
Old 03-10-2021, 02:41 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX247 View Post
I have a 2021 Gemini and one of the big rattles came from the stovetop cover (the glass one). Tried a bunch or things (rubber spacers...) that did not work so we put a hand towel under it for now and that seems to work. At some point I will forget and slam it down and it will shatter and my problem will be solved
Our stove rattles came from the grate and not the glass cover. I got some thin cork stick-on cushions from a big box home improvement store (thin as a penny and 3/8" across. I cut them in half and put two on each side of the edge of the grate. No more rattle!

I have no TV rattles and just a bit of squeak from some of the cabinetry now and then. Mine is almost 2 years old now and so so things have quieted down I imagine.