Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2020, 02:43 AM   #1
Zeb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Magnitude SV34
State: Iowa
THOR #21232
2021 SV34 Inverter

Hi Everyone we just picked up our Magnitude SV34 and LOVE IT! However wondering if anyone has the answer to this because we are looking to Winter Boondock in Colorado next week and we will just run the Generator 24/7 if we have to but...

Our Inverter works all the time except when we start the Coach. It works on battery, when plugged in and when the Generator is running but the moment we turn the ignition on the Inverter shuts power off. The Xantrex Freedom X LCD panel doesn't change and still has power. Turn the key off and the Inverter 120v comes back on. If we start the Coach we see it is charging the house batteries to 100% and has voltage but no Inverter power.

Side note and maybe related. Our Go Power GP-PWM-10-SQ also has an error and won't charge by solar with error 601. We didn't want to leave it at the dealer for the solar issue but didn't realize until after no one can watch TV on the road trip because the truck is running.

Summary: Everything works great until we start the truck.

Thoughts?

Old 12-08-2020, 03:32 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Hi Everyone we just picked up our Magnitude SV34 and LOVE IT! However wondering if anyone has the answer to this because we are looking to Winter Boondock in Colorado next week and we will just run the Generator 24/7 if we have to but...

Our Inverter works all the time except when we start the Coach. It works on battery, when plugged in and when the Generator is running but the moment we turn the ignition on the Inverter shuts power off. The Xantrex Freedom X LCD panel doesn't change and still has power. Turn the key off and the Inverter 120v comes back on. If we start the Coach we see it is charging the house batteries to 100% and has voltage but no Inverter power.

Side note and maybe related. Our Go Power GP-PWM-10-SQ also has an error and won't charge by solar with error 601. We didn't want to leave it at the dealer for the solar issue but didn't realize until after no one can watch TV on the road trip because the truck is running.

Summary: Everything works great until we start the truck.

Thoughts?
The Xantrex X and the Xantrex Xi have the option to hook a defeat to the ignition switch. Normally Thor MC does not use that option, but it appears your coach has it.

Ignition Control: Feature to turn inverter on/off via a 12 VDC signal and to minimize battery drain by switching the inverter off when the ignition key is turned off

I am not familiar with your coach so I don't have a clue where the relay may be. Plant 750 puts the relay and fuse box for the ignition defeat down by the drivers left foot.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:38 AM   #3
Zeb

THOR #21232
Thanks Beau388 I looked by drivers left foot but didn't see anything but the switches for the e-brake etc.

Stumped... and the dealer is several hours away but this is a show stopper because all the food in the fridge will go bad while we are driving.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34. What year is yours? 2021?

First, the Magnitude does not use the Ignition Control feature... at least mine does not and there is no good reason to use it on a motorhome since you want the Inverter to work when the engine is not running. You should check your schematics in case Thor changed something from 2020 to 2021. In any case this feature prevents the Inverter from being used when the key is off so as not to drain the batteries when the engine can't charge them.

I first want to confirm what you mean by "Our Inverter works all the time except when we start the Coach. It works on battery, when plugged in and when the Generator is running but the moment we turn the ignition on the Inverter shuts power off."

So you're saying that when you start then coach, the power to the fridge goes out. You open the fridge door and the light is off, correct?

If the Inverter is really powered "On" and the fridge stops working when off shore power but you start the engine, then I can think of two things to check.

Even when the Inverter is powered "Off" the remote panel will still be lit up on shore / generator power because of the Inverter's built-in transfer switch so it can throw people a curve ball and they think the Inverter is On when it is actually Off

There is a built-in control panel on the Freedom X Inverter. If the main power button is ON (power button depressed) when an external control panel is used, the built-in control panel overrides the remote control panel and things don't work as expected.

My coach came from the factory with the power button in the "On" position in built-in control panel so the remote control panel was not working properly. The built-in control panel should actually have the power button in the "Off" position (power button extended) when a remote control panel is installed. Then the remote control panel should have the power button depressed and in the "On" position if you want the Inverter to supply power to the specific outlets (below) when not on shore power or generator power.

The second thing to check is the 300A MRBF Fuse. There should be a red 2/0 gauge cable running from the Inverter directly to the 300A Fuse on one of the positive posts on the house batteries. Make sure this fuse is no blown and the connected there are tightened properly. I doubt this is your problem since you say you see the battery voltage on the display and you say it works on the batteries if the coach is not running. But if the connection is loose, then it could prevent the Inverter from being able to generator the 110V.

I assume you have a 2021 that came with a 100W solar panel installed (I had to add solar panels to mine as the 2020's were only prepped solar ready). The 601 error code mean sthe battery is disconnected or the batteries are under 3V. In your house battery compartment, there is a 10A fuse for the Solar Controller. You should check the schematics for your coach but it is the orange wire with the fuse block on it in the house battery compartment.

You should also follow that wire and make sure it is securely connected to one of the positive posts on the batteries.

One last thing in case your dealer did not go over it with you. The Inverter only provides power to a few specific outlets when on the house batteries, including when the engine is running and you are off shore power or generator power. Some people get confused and think having an Inverter means you have power to all outlets all the time.

The Inverter on the Magnitude SV34 does not provide power to all outlets. Here are the outlets with power when off shore power and using the Inverter.

- Residential Fridge
- Outdoor Fridge
- Main TV in Cab-Over
- Outdoor TV
- DVD Player
- Outlet next to bed closest to bathroom wall

Also, that 100W solar panel will just be enough to maintain the batteries. If you are off the grid and using a lot of battery power, you are going to need to run the generator occasionally to fully charge the batteries. I actually installed two 160W flexible solar panels on my coach.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #5

THOR #12751
One other point.....

If you have your fridge and freezer fully cooled down before your trip and you load it with food and then keep the doors closed it should keep the food in the fridge safely cold for 4 - 6 hours this time of year in the norther states and the freezer should be good for over 12 hours.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #6
Zeb

THOR #21232
Beau388 / Judge thank you guys so much! I called Thor tech support as well as the dealership they said it needs to come back in which is several hours away and we are hoping to get on our trip shortly.

This ended up being a very simple fix it was the 20AMP fuse Judge in the Battery compartment and it fixed the Solar charge issue and started charging today and when I start the Coach the Inverter doesn't event blip! Woot woot thank you guys you literally saved our shake down trip!

We are full bore ahead into zero degree weather to see how it holds up with water. Might as well hit the ground running. I have 4 sensors mounted throughout to let me know of any issues.

Thanks for everything and hopefully you don't blow that fuse but if you do not you know the symptoms.

Zeb
Old 12-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Beau388 / Judge thank you guys so much! I called Thor tech support as well as the dealership they said it needs to come back in which is several hours away and we are hoping to get on our trip shortly.

This ended up being a very simple fix it was the 20AMP fuse Judge in the Battery compartment and it fixed the Solar charge issue and started charging today and when I start the Coach the Inverter doesn't event blip! Woot woot thank you guys you literally saved our shake down trip!

We are full bore ahead into zero degree weather to see how it holds up with water. Might as well hit the ground running. I have 4 sensors mounted throughout to let me know of any issues.

Thanks for everything and hopefully you don't blow that fuse but if you do not you know the symptoms.

Zeb

Glad everything is working again but I'm skeptical the 20A fuse had anything to do with the Inverter.

If you log into the Thor Customer Resource Site and downlad your schematics, there are three regular fuses in the battery compartment and the MRBF fuse for the Inverter. One is for the Solar Controller, another fuse us for your power steps and the third fuse is for auxiliary start.

It sounds like the fuse you replaced did fix the Solar Controller error but that would not have done anything for the Inverter.

Might want to check that all of the connections are tight in the battery compartment. I found several loose ones in mine from the factory.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Zeb

THOR #21232
You are correct Judge we tested again and the LED status light on the TV stays on for 8 seconds after it loses power making it seem ok so we waited longer and it does turn off.

Thanks I will try and find the schematics and go thru it again but 1 down 1 to go :-)

Zeb
Old 12-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Zeb

THOR #21232
Resolved! Thor has installed a TV lockout switch to the ignition so the TV has to be against the wall when the Coach ignition is on. You can swing the TV out then in then out and it will start working or disable the switch :-)

We are back to resolved! Thanks @Judge

Zeb
Old 12-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Resolved! Thor has installed a TV lockout switch to the ignition so the TV has to be against the wall when the Coach ignition is on. You can swing the TV out then in then out and it will start working or disable the switch :-)

Zeb
Excellent..... that makes more sense!

Using the light in the fridge is the best way to verify the Inverter is working properly.

I'll have to check my coach but I don't think that TV on mine has the lock-out but I will double-check at some point. Can't say I have tried to use it with the engine running.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:27 AM   #11

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:

Zeb
Just a note next door in Utah. I spent a 20 degree night and the heater was on more than off and it ran just fine off of the inverter and battery until about 5am. I heard a beep and the AGS didn't come on, so I had to get up and start the generator so the fan would work on the heater. Not a big deal since I have an old man's bladder anyway. The heater fan takes a lot of battery and no solar at night.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:42 AM   #12
Zeb

THOR #21232
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
Just a note next door in Utah. I spent a 20 degree night and the heater was on more than off and it ran just fine off of the inverter and battery until about 5am. I heard a beep and the AGS didn't come on, so I had to get up and start the generator so the fan would work on the heater. Not a big deal since I have an old man's bladder anyway. The heater fan takes a lot of battery and no solar at night.
CTRvs666 very good news! We de-winterized this week and are in the 20s at night and no issues. I did see a post about someone saying that the shower will run into the outside kitchen so I checked and that is the case on my SV34. I found that there is a drain plug on the sink bowl in the outdoor kitchen and it needs to be closed or the water will partially fill up the bowl for some reason. When that was closed no water in the bowl and the switched pump didn't have any.

So far so good we're looking to take off to Boondock in Colorado and im considering adding two more AGM batteries but no one stocks 6v nearby.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:02 AM   #13

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
CTRvs666 very good news! We de-winterized this week and are in the 20s at night and no issues. I did see a post about someone saying that the shower will run into the outside kitchen so I checked and that is the case on my SV34. I found that there is a drain plug on the sink bowl in the outdoor kitchen and it needs to be closed or the water will partially fill up the bowl for some reason. When that was closed no water in the bowl and the switched pump didn't have any.

So far so good we're looking to take off to Boondock in Colorado and im considering adding two more AGM batteries but no one stocks 6v nearby.
scared me for a sec, then I realized I don't have an outside kitchen.