Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #21140
2021 Thor Magnitude SV34 Shower Issues

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any insights!!

My wife and I bought an SV34 about a month ago and have loved it mostly.

We are only running into two issues right now(that we haven't fixed) and they are both shower related.

First, the shower leaks out of the street side front corner. We have caulked that area quite a bit but it keeps leaking. It leaks onto the floor right at the floor.

Second, when we shower the outside sink fills with water. It seems that the shower drain back flows that way and then it leaks underneath the outdoor sink. There is a macerator pump for the rear sink and an inline check valve but apparently that's what the check valve is for and it doesn't work??

Anybody else deal with this or have any bright ideas to to remedy??

We are on a seven week cross country loop and are not really available to leave it at a dealer for any significant time.

Thanks so much!!!!

Brian and Laurie

Old 11-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While I have no answer for your shower issues : I'd still like to welcome you to the best virtual RV Park anywhere!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie2021 View Post
Hi All,

We are only running into two issues right now(that we haven't fixed) and they are both shower related.

First, the shower leaks out of the street side front corner. We have caulked that area quite a bit but it keeps leaking. It leaks onto the floor right at the floor.

Second, when we shower the outside sink fills with water. It seems that the shower drain back flows that way and then it leaks underneath the outdoor sink. There is a macerator pump for the rear sink and an inline check valve but apparently that's what the check valve is for and it doesn't work??

We are on a seven week cross country loop and are not really available to leave it at a dealer for any significant time.

Thanks so much!!!!

Brian and Laurie
First, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately you may not want to leave it at a dealer but you should take it to a dealer or call Thor and see if they will authorize a mobile tech to come out to you. The only other options are to use the campground bath house or attempt a self repair.

One thing to keep in mind is that leaks are only covered under warranty for a short period of time.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:57 PM   #4

THOR #21140
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
While I have no answer for your shower issues : I'd still like to welcome you to the best virtual RV Park anywhere!
Thank you sir!!

We also found out that the area under the out door fridge is basically flooding as well.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:58 PM   #5

THOR #21140
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
First, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately you may not want to leave it at a dealer but you should take it to a dealer or call Thor and see if they will authorize a mobile tech to come out to you. The only other options are to use the campground bath house or attempt a self repair.

One thing to keep in mind is that leaks are only covered under warranty for a short period of time.
Thanks!! We will look into that.

Any idea on how long the leak warranty lasts? We just bought new in October.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
GENERALLY, sinks drain to black tank and shower rdrains to gray tank on MOST units.
How do you know your gray tank is empty?

If your gray valve is open it MIGHT back feed into your black tank.

I can't help with the flooding under the fridge but you might want to try a plug in that outside sink just to see what happens.

Warranty or not, get to a repair place right now or you'll have plywood problems you don't even want to know what it costs to fix.

Spend the $90-$128 for an hour with a professional.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Thanks!! We will look into that.

Any idea on how long the leak warranty lasts? We just bought new in October.
Depending on the manufacturer it will generally be 30, 60 or 90 days. Unless there is no limitation I have not seen one go over 90. I am on my third manufacturer in 12 years and the last coach, a Thor Challenger, I believe, not certain, the leak provision was 30 days.

I will say that will all the leaks you are describing you need to. get the coach checked before it starts becoming a rot or mold issue because more than likely the water is also going into areas you can't see.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: time takes on a whole new level of importance with these matters.
Good luck!
Old 11-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks so much!!!!

Brian and Laurie
I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 so I should be a little more help than some of the posts so far. I have not had your problems but I am looking at the coach plumbing schematics now. If you go to the Owners Resource Site, you can download the schematics and other useful documentation.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

The shower drain and the outdoor kitchen drain are plumbed together and directly run to the gray tank. There is a check-valve that should flow from the kitchen sink to the gray tank when the macerator is turned on. I would bet my next payment that your check-valve is plumbed backwards.

If the check-valve is backwards, some water would run to the gray tank but some water would also run to the outdoor kitchen sink and then start to fill the sink because the shower is higher than the outdoor kitchen. Once the kitchen sink bowl fills up, it will leak onto the countertop and into the refrigerator area.

As a short term fix, try closing the kitchen sink drain stopper. This will prevent water from back-flowing into the sink when you shower. This should solve that problem until you, a dealer or Thor authorized tech can verify the check-valve was installed backwards or is defective.

As far as your shower leak is concerned..... is your leak at the passenger side wall?

Can you see the water leak out the bottom of the door trim? Are you sure the water is not coming from under the shower around the floor near the access panel?

The shower walls fit over the shower floor / pan which runs partially up the wall. There is no sealant between the shower pan and the shower walls so air can get there and keep things dry.

I can think of a couple possibilities:

- The aluminum trim on the bottom of the door where the track mounts was not installed flush with the shower floor / pan and there is a gap such that the silicone is not sealing it.

- The drain is not sealed in the shower floor / pan and water is leaking around the drain and then under the shower and under the access panel and onto the floor. Might be worth drying everything and then taking off the access panel and then running the shower. Then use a flashlight to see if water is leaking around the drain.

- If you see a lot of water under the shower when you remove the access panel, then there is a crack in the shower floor / pan or the plumbing under the shower could be leaking.

Let us know what you find......
Old 11-06-2020, 02:26 AM   #10

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #19961
We also have an SV34 and have had a similar issue regarding the shower leak I believe in the area that you have mentioned. I will do my best to try and explain the location that we added just a small bit of sealant that fixed the issue/leak.

I was able to track down our shower leak to the shower track. Water was running down the door and into the track. There was no sealant at the ends of the aluminum track. There was about a 1/16-1/8” gap at each end of the bottom metal track and the wall that allowed water to run down the wall under the pan and then was leaking under the shower and then making its way to the floor in the bathroom and hall. A small dab of sealant at the end of the metal track was the fix. It is a little hard to see, but get a good flashlight and check the ends of the metal track where is connects to the wall.

Agree with Judge on the check valve to the outdoor kitchen sink. Never had that issue on ours.

Good luck and hope it is a simple fix as I have tried to explain above.

Take care
Mike

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks so much!!!!

Brian and Laurie
Old 11-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

THOR #12751
If my theory is right and the check-valve was installed backwards, you can do an easy test.

Put a little water in the sink bowl and turn on the macerator. If the sink does not drain, it is because the check-valve is backwards and the macerator is now forcing the water to close the check-valve.

If the sink does drain, it would mean the check valve is stuck open so water can flow in both directions..... from the shower to the outdoor kitchen sink and from the sink to the gray tank.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:17 PM   #12

Model: Omni sv34
State: Minnesota
THOR #20471
2021 Thor Omni sv34

Our shower also leaked into the coach. took it back to Camping World.

there was a connection behind the wall that wasn't connected properly. Covered under warranty.

Besides a few minor issue, we really like the RV

good luck!!
Old 11-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #13

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Texas
THOR #16368
Exact same problem here!

Ours is a 2019, same model and exactly the same problem. Our check valve was defective. Thor authorized replacement. After replaced, we notice water flooding out from below our coach under the outdoor kitchen when we’d use the sink. As per usual with our Camping World, take the coach to fix one issue and drive away with two additional! They did not hook the plumbing pipes back together!!!!!!! 🤦🏼*♀️

Finally, now, all is well!!
Old 11-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #14

THOR #21140
Thanks all!!!

We are moving closer to a solution I believe.

First, the check valve is certainly backwards or defective in the outdoor kitchen. The sticker on the check valve indicates it's put on the right way but who knows if the sticker is on the right way.

I was able to stop the leaking underneath the out door sink though. It turns out that the sink fills about half way(and only half way) each time we shower and it was then leaking from the first fitting under the sink that wasn't torqued well enough to keep it from leaking.

We are able to manage on the road right now by simply running the macerator after a shower. Of course that's a pain but for now until we can get the check valve replaced we'll have to live with it.

The shower leak has become less of a problem as I continue to caulk in every place I can find by the aluminum closure. Although I never really fount out where it was coming from. I'm just gonna have to stay on that until we can get it in.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #15

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks all!!!

We are moving closer to a solution I believe.

First, the check valve is certainly backwards or defective in the outdoor kitchen. The sticker on the check valve indicates it's put on the right way but who knows if the sticker is on the right way.

I was able to stop the leaking underneath the out door sink though. It turns out that the sink fills about half way(and only half way) each time we shower and it was then leaking from the first fitting under the sink that wasn't torqued well enough to keep it from leaking.

We are able to manage on the road right now by simply running the macerator after a shower. Of course that's a pain but for now until we can get the check valve replaced we'll have to live with it.

The shower leak has become less of a problem as I continue to caulk in every place I can find by the aluminum closure. Although I never really fount out where it was coming from. I'm just gonna have to stay on that until we can get it in.

Thanks again!!
Close that kitchen sink drain plug and you won't have to worry about running the macerator after a shower.