Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Connecticut
THOR #26482
2021 Thor Outlaw 29j Winterizing

Hi everyone. Going into my 2nd winter and trying to winterize. Last year we struggled with same issues and decided to run anti freeze through lines. We turned off tankless water heater and hand to hand feel valves under the sink counter top to close lines. However, trying to learn the schematics of the Motorhome, and doing it right, I am running into 2 issues. First is finding the low point drains on my model (never found them last year) and next is, my manual says some tankless water heaters don’t have a bypass…last year I missed opening a valve and thought we damaged the heater…turns out I neglected to open it all the way. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2022, 10:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not sure of the water heater but, if you crawl around under the coach in the "water areas" as in kitchen, baths and shower and look for stubs of blue and red water lines (usually in pairs) poking through. The valves to drain these lines are just above them inside the coach or storage bins.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Connecticut
THOR #26482
Thank you…I will recheck those areas again. Going from a simple travel trailer to a MH has presented new challenges. Especially changing from water heater to tankless and obvious low water drains to hidden ones!
Old 11-15-2022, 11:34 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saragregware View Post
Hi everyone. Going into my 2nd winter and trying to winterize. Last year we struggled with same issues and decided to run anti freeze through lines. We turned off tankless water heater and hand to hand feel valves under the sink counter top to close lines. However, trying to learn the schematics of the Motorhome, and doing it right, I am running into 2 issues. First is finding the low point drains on my model (never found them last year) and next is, my manual says some tankless water heaters don’t have a bypass…last year I missed opening a valve and thought we damaged the heater…turns out I neglected to open it all the way. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance!
We just run pink stuff through system including tankless and do not forget outside shower for pink stuff.
Our 30 year tech claims most failures are outside shower and pump strainer
Old 11-15-2022, 11:57 PM   #5

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
We live on the SC/NC border, low temperature each winter around 20ish, once in awhile low teens. Not sure what the lows are where you live? I've been winterizing for six years by blowing out the lines with no problems and it is quick and easy. We use our camper all winter so I winterize 5-6 times a season depending on weather and trips.
I keep my unit at a storage place a couple miles from the house. I run the generator to power a small air compressor, set it at about 25psi, hook it up to the "city water connection" (same water port you hook up at the campground), open up one inside faucet before hooking up the air compressor and starting (don't want too much psi-don't want to hurt the plastic tubing or their connections in the camper). The Girard tankless water heater needs no action taken (no bypass, nothing). Turn on the air compressor, go inside the camper, open up one faucet at a time (cold and hot, one at a time), watch the water come out (amazing how much is in the lines), repeat as necessary until just air coming out of every faucet (don't forget toilet, shower, outside shower, outside kitchen, etc.). When done, drain the black and grey tanks, then go back inside and poor a cup or so of the antifreeze down each drain. You're done.
We have a 2020 31y.

On a side note, there is a video on the Girard tankless water heater that the CEO of Girard did. He states to turn on the tankless water heater, and don't bother ever turning it off for the life of your unit, don't worry about a bypass, nothing. Low maintenance.

Good luck and enjoy the wilderness.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:04 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Our 30 year rv tech from Montana say air will not remove water from water pump fully including strainer.
Big failure area for his clients
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:26 AM   #7

Model: Outlaw 29S
State: West Virginia
THOR #22209
I have a 2021 Outlaw 29S . My low point drains are under the bottom drawer, on the floor by the kitchen sink.

They are hard to see. Small silver rings allow you to pull up both valves.

My valves were hidden in the black insulating foam.

Hope this helps
Old 11-16-2022, 01:15 AM   #8

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Our 30 year rv tech from Montana say air will not remove water from water pump fully including strainer.
Big failure area for his clients
My tech says maybe in Montana a miniscule amount of water matters, but not here in SC.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:37 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I’m 30 miles above Charlotte nc. Been blowing out lines with air for 17 years. Have never had a pump issue.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #10

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I’m 30 miles above Charlotte nc. Been blowing out lines with air for 17 years. Have never had a pump issue.
We are 21 miles southwest of Charlotte. We look across the lake and see NC and high taxes.
Camping this weekend at Chester State Park.
We will need to blow the lines Sunday night, 26 degrees. Brrrr.