Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: TIBURON
State: North Carolina
THOR #23330
2021 Thor Tiburon AC won't come on

Just bought this rig (450 miles from home). AC worked well at dealer (both shore power and generator).

Plugged unit into 50-amp circuit at a camp ground (with dogbones to attach 30-amp power cord). Everything works on the control panel except the Air Conditioner.

When I select "Cooling", nothing happens (long 15 minute or so wait times). All other options on the panel work fine (furnace, lights, slides, etc), but not the AC.

Checked the AC circuit breaker...it is not tripped (I opened and closed it just to be sure).

I've read about 'resetting these control panels', but have no guidance on how to do that.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:45 PM   #2

THOR #23330
Okay, so no quick responses. But, an update, anyway (including questions). I am tending to think this is not a Control Panel issue, but possibly a 'power' problem. After several minutes working with a FireFly rep to see why the AC is not coming on (believing it to be a Control Panel/G12 issue), and not resolving anything (could not get power to the AirCon (small black box directly under the AC unit) from the G12 control box), I started other diagnoses. To determine if I had shore power, I ran the microwave and it heated water. But then I opened the refrigerator which I had set to 'Power/Electric only) vice Auto (Auto would kick in propane if electric power was not available). I found the fridge to be warm (I had it on 'power' for several hours). After returning from a trip, where the fridge was set to AUTO, it was fine (I am assuming that it ran on propane the entire time). What I am getting at is that POSSIBLY, even though there IS power coming from shore, there is not enough amperage to run the AC nor even the fridge, but is enough to run the microwave. This hints that it may be something with the Power Switch unit...just not sure. I don't know how to check how many amps are coming into the coach.
Any advice?
Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So with a 50 amp rig you essentially use two 120 VAC hot lines (just like your house). Although the microwave works, it appears you have no power to the other hot leg for the fridge and A/C. This can be caused by a faulty 50 to 30 amp adapter, a bad Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), a bad Energy Management System (if installed) or just bad/loose connections. To determine your real issue you will need to be able to use a multimeter on live circuits. If this is not a skill you already have, troubleshooting this issue is not the place to gain that skill.

EDIT: I see I had you backwards - you have a 30 amp rig plugged into a 50 amp receptacle using a dogbone adapter.

So now I think you're down to bad connections as ALL 120 VAC loads in your MH run off the same hot leg. It won't be the ATS if your microwave is working.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:03 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Is there a 30 amp outlet to plug into? if not, do U have genny? Does everything work on the genny? My guess is if everything worked at the dealer my first suspect would be the dog bone. Then as Ace says might be Automatic Transfer Switch
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

THOR #23330
The same situation occurs when running the generator. With Shore Power removed, I crank the gen. Go to the FireFly control panel and select COOLING. Nothing occurs. (Same as if on Shore Power). Hence, I tend NOT to believe it is a dogbone/wiring issue. (I also tried HEAT PUMP...nothing). But, I can turn on the furnace, lights, move the slide, etc.

Maybe the ATS is malfunctioning????? Does this mean a trip to a Thor dealer?
Old 05-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi did you call thor? If you are near an independent rv tech please call and get pre approved with thor . They will fix
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #7

THOR #23330
I have spoken to a Thor Rep when this first occurred (while traveling in Fla (I am in NC)). He referred me to FireFly (thinking it may be the Control Panel issue). He gave me the number of a Thor Dealer near me (1 hour drive). I was hoping to get a resolution before I take it to them, but I don't believe that is going to happen. I'll call today to see if I can get an appointment (of course, with our current gas shortage here in NC, I probably won't get to them for a few days).

I am not a mechanic, but can do basic stuff with a multimeter. Was hoping to track down the issue myself. But if the ATS is malfunctioning, that would be beyond my abilities.

EDIT: With the fridge also not working (unless set to propane), I am becoming more convinced the ATS (or something else) is faulty.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I'll say it again: If the microwave works on a 30 amp coach then the ATS is NOT the issue.

The ATS simply passes 120 VAC from either SP or the generator to the breaker panel so if any 120 VAC load from the breaker panel is working, the ATS is working.

The fridge not working on 120 VAC may or may not be related to the A/C not working, but the only way to know is to start tracing power with your multimeter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
What 16ACE27 said......

If you have more than one 120V appliance not working, then it is likely and AC power issue AFTER the transfer switch.

I would try to get behind your power distribution center and check the wiring going into the breakers, busbar, juncton boxes, etc. There have been plenty of instanced where there was loose wiring, incorrect wiring, etc. on these coaches

Make sure your off shore / genny power before you go poking around in there.

Since the fridge seems to be a problem, get yourself a tester like this one at Home Depot and check to see if have an issue at the outlet it is plugged into. It may help point you in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.23.09 AM.png
Views:	47
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	30461  
Old 05-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #10

Model: Tiburon 24RW
State: Washington
THOR #16940
I don't have a solution, but this will get you in touch with other Tiburon/Delano owners who may have experienced the same issue.

Facebook Group: Thor Delano & Tiburon RV Owners.

It's a private group. You need to 'apply' to get access. Currently 235 members. It's a pretty active group with questions, solutions, etc.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:55 PM   #11

Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Illinois
THOR #9479
Having same issue

Could you please share what the cause of the a/c not working was.
I am having the same problem on a 2022 Tiburon 24FB.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #12

THOR #23330
Believe it or not, it was simply a loose wire behind the fuzebox. Thor dealer found the issue and solved it. Says he sees it frequently, and not just Thor products.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:58 AM   #13

THOR #9479
Thank you!!!
I got behind the electrical panel and found an unrelated wire disconnected. Also found a cable not connected to the stereo when I pulled that out. Ended up finally finding a loose connection when I removed the interior cover of the a/c.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
Okay, so no quick responses. But, an update, anyway (including questions). I am tending to think this is not a Control Panel issue, but possibly a 'power' problem. After several minutes working with a FireFly rep to see why the AC is not coming on (believing it to be a Control Panel/G12 issue), and not resolving anything (could not get power to the AirCon (small black box directly under the AC unit) from the G12 control box), I started other diagnoses. To determine if I had shore power, I ran the microwave and it heated water. But then I opened the refrigerator which I had set to 'Power/Electric only) vice Auto (Auto would kick in propane if electric power was not available). I found the fridge to be warm (I had it on 'power' for several hours). After returning from a trip, where the fridge was set to AUTO, it was fine (I am assuming that it ran on propane the entire time). What I am getting at is that POSSIBLY, even though there IS power coming from shore, there is not enough amperage to run the AC nor even the fridge, but is enough to run the microwave. This hints that it may be something with the Power Switch unit...just not sure. I don't know how to check how many amps are coming into the coach.
Any advice?
I found in my unit that the “appliance” fuse feeds 12v not only to the fridge, but also to the AC thermostat. Have you checked that in your house fuse box?
Old 05-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #15

THOR #9479
Yes. I checked, and all fuses were good. Turns out it was just a loose connection in the black box inside the a/c unit coming from the G12 control box. A/C ran all day yesterday. No issues. Problem solved. I hope.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Thanks for sharing the solution.