Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2022, 01:41 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Plan B

As I understand it, the warranty doesn't require that the fridge be removed from the motorhome for servicing, only that it be fully accessible to the repair technician.

I had to remove the residential fridge from my 2019 Chateau 31W in the spring of 2020 because I forgot to winterize the line to the ice maker, not having had a residential fridge before, let alone one equipped with an ice maker, in any of my previous RVs. The water line separated from the back of the fridge sometime during the winter when the water in it froze. When I turned on the water in the spring, it started pouring out from under the fridge and onto the floor. I gave myself a slap in the forehead as I realized what had happened and quickly shut off the water.

Since it sits on a platform about a foot above floor level (see first picture) removing the fridge from the alcove in which it is located posed a challenge. The only things holding it in place are two metal brackets (also visible in the picture). After giving the matter some thought, I ended up using some spare wood I had hanging around the house and some casters I bought at a local box store to make a dolly onto which I dragged/slid the fridge after removing the aforementioned brackets. I then unlocked the casters and rolled the dolly to one side to gain access to the back of the fridge and the space inside the alcove. See the other two pictures for details of the dolly and its construction.

Since building it a little over two years ago, I've found a number of other uses for the dolly. In fact, I used it just a couple of weeks ago to transfer a second AC unit from my driveway up to the roof of the motorhome. I constructed a ramp/track from two 2 x 10 x 16 planks leftover from a recent home improvement project, screwed the pallet on which the new AC unit was shipped to the top of the dolly, secured everything with stout rope, and with the help of a neighbor hauled the unit up the steep tracks onto the roof with only a minimum of drama.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	38318   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly_1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	38319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly_2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	38320  

Old 06-26-2022, 01:54 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoldman View Post
As I understand it, the warranty doesn't require that the fridge be removed from the motorhome for servicing, only that it be fully accessible to the repair technician.

I had to remove the residential fridge from my 2019 Chateau 31W in the spring of 2020 because I forgot to winterize the line to the ice maker, not having had a residential fridge before, let alone one equipped with an ice maker, in any of my previous RVs. The water line separated from the back of the fridge sometime during the winter when the water in it froze. When I turned on the water in the spring, it started pouring out from under the fridge and onto the floor. I gave myself a slap in the forehead as I realized what had happened and quickly shut off the water.

Since it sits on a platform about a foot above floor level (see first picture) removing the fridge from the alcove in which it is located posed a challenge. The only things holding it in place are two metal brackets (also visible in the picture). After giving the matter some thought, I ended up using some spare wood I had hanging around the house and some casters I bought at a local box store to make a dolly onto which I dragged/slid the fridge after removing the aforementioned brackets. I then unlocked the casters and rolled the dolly to one side to gain access to the back of the fridge and the space inside the alcove. See the other two pictures for details of the dolly and its construction.

Since building it a little over two years ago, I've found a number of other uses for the dolly. In fact, I used it just a couple of weeks ago to transfer a second AC unit from my driveway up to the roof of the motorhome. I constructed a ramp/track from two 2 x 10 x 16 planks leftover from a recent home improvement project, screwed the pallet on which the new AC unit was shipped to the top of the dolly, secured everything with stout rope, and with the help of a neighbor hauled the unit up the steep tracks onto the roof with only a minimum of drama.
Op never said it had to be removed from the Motorhome. They said it had to be accessible to include the back.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #23

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #18751
As Judge diagnosed with his Magnitude SV34 the evaporator fan motor was the culprit. In my SV34 the fridge was still under warranty when the fridge and freezer wouldn’t cool. The technician diagnosed it as the evaporator fan not running. A couple screws on the back panel on the interior of the freezer exposed the evaporator fan. It was stuck on another piece of protruding plastic. Once that piece of plastic was removed, the fan began working and the fridge began to cool and the freezer began to freeze. Very simple fix.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:26 PM   #24
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I had a friend with same issue. Whirlpool fridge was bad. Thor referred to whirlpool for warranty. The owner had to pay to have the windshield removed and reinstalled as that was the only way to remove and replace the fridge. Whirlpool did replace the fridge, at no charge, as it was under warranty. Still cost the owner $1500 for all the associated labor.
It should have not cost that much to remove and reset the windshield. For that amount of money, they could have pulled the slide out, replaced the fridge, and put the slide back in.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:27 AM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
It should have not cost that much to remove and reset the windshield. For that amount of money, they could have pulled the slide out, replaced the fridge, and put the slide back in.
It costs whatever the business performing the service charges. Your opinion on the cost of service doesn’t have any bearing on what a shop charges. Sorry, fact of life.